Options

18-Month-Old Grandpa

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited July 20, 2012 in People
This little shaver showed up with this shirt, shorts and sandals on. I couldn't resist adding the hat and the cigar. I think it's hilarious. He looks like a just retired guy getting ready for a vacation in Miami circa 1940. I only wish I had a pair of black socks he could have worn with the sandals! :rofl

7599184620_303d8b527a_o.jpg
retirement by Bryce Wilson, on Flickr

Comments

• Options
    T. BombadilT. Bombadil Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2012
    Love this!
    This little shaver showed up with this shirt, shorts and sandals on. I couldn't resist adding the hat and the cigar. I think it's hilarious. He looks like a just retired guy getting ready for a vacation in Miami circa 1940. I only wish I had a pair of black socks he could have worn with the sandals! rolleyes1.gif
    Bruce

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
    Looka looka koo la ley
  • Options
    wave01wave01 Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2012
    love it nicely done
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2012
    Nice, although being a grandpa of two and one more on the way, I hope I never wear black socks with sandals.

I see you use a D700. If that is correct, would you please advise which lenses you use for studio images?

Thanks, Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2012
    Nice, although being a grandpa of two and one more on the way, I hope I never wear black socks with sandals.

I see you use a D700. If that is correct, would you please advise which lenses you use for studio images?

Thanks, Phil

Hello Phil.

But you might have worn black socks with sandals it you were a grandpa in 1940. ;)

Actually, while I do indeed have and use a D-700, all the shots I post of the vintage style children are done with a D-100. On the D-100 for in studio children, I use the Nikon 18-70mm 3.5-4.5 AF-S DX. For the price, it's a pretty spectacular lens and covers everything from full body scene shots to close up head shots of the children in my studio environment. There is a SLIGHT pincusion at 70 mm but not enough to be a deal breaker for me. I love being able to do a whole shoot, in rather close quarters, without having to change a lens.

That focal length would work out to about 27-105 on a full frame body like the D-700. If you're looking for a "value priced" lens that would perform similarly on the D-700, the Nikon 35-70mm 2.8 can be picked up for about 300.00 these days. I use that lens a lot for doing portraits outdoor. Don't let the "push/pull" scare you. For doing portraits it isn't an issue and in some ways I like it better. Downside is that for close head shots I need to change to my 105mm to get the look I want.
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2012
    Hello Phil.

But you might have worn black socks with sandals it you were a grandpa in 1940. ;)

Actually, while I do indeed have and use a D-700, all the shots I post of the vintage style children are done with a D-100. On the D-100 for in studio children, I use the Nikon 18-70mm 3.5-4.5 AF-S DX. For the price, it's a pretty spectacular lens and covers everything from full body scene shots to close up head shots of the children in my studio environment. There is a SLIGHT pincusion at 70 mm but not enough to be a deal breaker for me. I love being able to do a whole shoot, in rather close quarters, without having to change a lens.

That focal length would work out to about 27-105 on a full frame body like the D-700. If you're looking for a "value priced" lens that would perform similarly on the D-700, the Nikon 35-70mm 2.8 can be picked up for about 300.00 these days. I use that lens a lot for doing portraits outdoor. Don't let the "push/pull" scare you. For doing portraits it isn't an issue and in some ways I like it better. Downside is that for close head shots I need to change to my 105mm to get the look I want.

Thanks much. Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2012
    Good job.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That take is awesome, keep up the good work.clap.gif
    Carlos
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2012
    Fantastic! clap.gif

Truly one of those 1,000 word pictures.....
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2012
    Yaflyyadie wrote: »
    Good job.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That take is awesome, keep up the good work.clap.gif
    Carlos
    Thanks Carlos! Coming from a guy that lives in Miami and the fact that you like it makes me feel warm all over!
    aj986s wrote: »
    Fantastic! clap.gif

Truly one of those 1,000 word pictures.....

Thanks, that was really nice of you to say!
  • Options
    junglejimjunglejim Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2012
    What's wrong with black socks and sandals?

My kids make fun of me when I do so now I have to wear my blue socks.

jim