Options

The girl next door

3smiles3smiles Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
edited July 20, 2012 in People
This was a session I did with the neighbor girl last night. Let me know what you think of the edits/cropping.
IMG_8112wm.jpg

IMG_8202wm.jpg
IMG_8097wm.jpg
Liza

Comments

• Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2012
    This series is suffering from sharpness (at least on my screen).
    I am not sure how you focused, try to focus on the eyes. That works in most cases.
    Secondly try to keep the surroundings a bit out of focus (like picture 2) that will disconnect the model from the background and will make the model pop out the screen.

Have look at the 3 pictures, what do you see ? Different colors, different light and different contrasts.

Pic 2, has a warm feeling , were as pic 1 en 2 are rather cold. Pic 1 has a green color cast (the T, I assume white has a dominating green value and so is the concrete wall). Try to adjust the color temperature by setting the WB (click on a know white or gray object in the picture with the WB sampler).

Pic 3 is suffering from over exposure.

Keep trying , since the framing is rather good.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    GothamGotham Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2012
    I think the photos are plenty sharp enough, though I'd have to see #1 closer to be sure -- it might be out of focus or perhaps the resolution is lower, is it a small crop?). #2 is definitely my favorite. #3 is nice but I agree that it's over-exposed. With a larger girl (particularly one with a round face like your model has), you should try hard to short-light her which is more flattering and thinning than the flat lighting in 1 & 3. #2 is short lit though I think even stronger shadowing would be even more flattering. In addition to the lighting, I don't think the pose in #1 is particularly flattering or "feminine" -- by placing her square to the camera she looks wider than she is.
  • Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2012
    Viewing the full size images, you can see that this set is indeed not sharp. I like the setting in #1, but it's underexposed and the WB is off. #2 is the most flattering, IMO. Great light and DOF. I don't think #3 is over exposed (nothing's blown out), but I agree that it would be more flattering if she had been turned to the side just a little. A vignette might also help that one.
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2012
    I did look at these on a different computer than I edited them on and I realized that 3 is definitely over exposed I cam home and toned it down some. I think I shifted and it looks like the concrete behind here is where it focused but that spot is cropped off. How is the skin tone in #2 it seems warm on my laptop which is what I had when I quick edited these I know that laptop is not the first choice to edit with. I am still in the learning stage as I don't think you ever get past that so Thanks I will work on these things.
    Liza
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2012
    IMG_8097+copy+copy.jpg

how is this for exposure?
    Liza
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2012
    Hi 3!

Number two is a very nice image. I may have been tempted to get the camera even closer to the ground than you did to get the horizon line of the road even with her shoulder rather than going through the top of her head. But, I can't be sure of what that angle may have done to her face/chin line. All in all, I like it and I bet she will too!

I really like the backgrounds of numbers one and three, (the colors are a fantastic addition to the outfit she was wearing) but feel you short changed them and the finished image by having the subjects shoulders square to the camera. I think there may have been some interesting lines and angles that could have been explored.

Were these 100% natural light or were you using some flash?
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2012
    100% Natural light about 8pm in the shade with a cloud WB I forgot to change it to custom or any thing. I should make a check list of what to check before a session.

#4 Here is a different angle on the road shot.
    IMG_8204bwwm.jpg

Here is a SOOC of my the pose I had her do on #1 she wanted the shot up on the pallet and It was the last one before clothing change.
    IMG_8106.JPG

Another shot on the road but the focus seem to hit her arm. What setting should I put my focus on for these shots I was doing the focus on the eye and move but that didn't seem to work.
    IMG_8192+colwm.jpg
    Liza