Options

Shipping & Taxes for Canadians?

bcgal00bcgal00 Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
edited July 20, 2012 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I'm in BC Canada. If I go with a pro acct (currently power acct) and use smugmug for printing will I have to pay U.S. taxes? I'm not at all familiar with dealing with the U.S. so not sure what this is about. Any advice or info? I would probably be in the $1000-$2000 range yearly for sales.

Also, are there any additional costs other than shipping? Is there brokerage fees too?

Comments

• Options
    bobbyherobobbyhero Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2012
    Any income earned (whether via SmugMug, or other sources) is usually taxable in your local jurisdiction. You should speak with an accountant, or tax lawyer, to get specific answers as to what your filing requirements will be.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact a Hero :-)
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    bcgal00bcgal00 Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2012
    Ya, I'll ask my acct. But having never filed taxes in the US, I just didn't know how that worked and wasn't sure if my tax guy would be very knowledgeable as it's not his jurisdiction KWIM?
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2012
    Hiya! SmugMug resident Canadian here. Your sales are not subject to U.S. tax, since your business entity is in Canada (at least I have that impression from your post). Your sales will count as income in the eyes of Revenue Canada though, so be sure to consult with a local, Canadian tax accountant about the best way to track and report your sales.

There are no duties on printed materials coming into Canada from the U.S. You can look up the relevant section of the Canada Customs doc to double check.

Currently, SmugMug doesn't collect GST on Canadian orders and so you/your customers may be subject to paying GST COD. If you have chosen Airmail delivery via USPS and Canada Post, my understanding is that Canada Customs randomly adds GST to packages - so it is hit and miss. There are no brokerage fees with this shipping since no broker is involved, and thus it can take some time for the packages to clear customs.

The other method of shipping is via courier, and there are brokerage fees included in the cost of shipping paid at check out. Again, GST may be collected COD on these deliveries.

Hope that helps.

ann
    bcgal00 wrote: »
    I'm in BC Canada. If I go with a pro acct (currently power acct) and use smugmug for printing will I have to pay U.S. taxes? I'm not at all familiar with dealing with the U.S. so not sure what this is about. Any advice or info? I would probably be in the $1000-$2000 range yearly for sales.

Also, are there any additional costs other than shipping? Is there brokerage fees too?