Options

Nikon D5100 no high speed sync.

insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
edited July 24, 2012 in Cameras
This has got to be the biggest feature missing from this camera other than slight larger focus point markings.
I guess it was never made for fill flash with larger apertures. :dunno
I learned this the hard way. :cry

Comments

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2012
    Whoa, talk about an omission! The dumb thing is, do you think they really saved that much by leaving it out? I mean doesn't the flash do most of the work, and the camera just sends a signal? Weird. I've never known Nikon to leave a feature out just for the sake of leaving a feature out, that's such a Canon move. :-P

Although, this is why I love my Circular polarizer and my 3-stop ND filter! Between the two of those, I can shoot at any aperture in bright sunlight, and even stay below my flash sync if I need to...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2012
    Whoa, talk about an omission! The dumb thing is, do you think they really saved that much by leaving it out? I mean doesn't the flash do most of the work, and the camera just sends a signal? Weird. I've never known Nikon to leave a feature out just for the sake of leaving a feature out, that's such a Canon move. :-P

Although, this is why I love my Circular polarizer and my 3-stop ND filter! Between the two of those, I can shoot at any aperture in bright sunlight, and even stay below my flash sync if I need to...

=Matt=

During the wedding I recently did, I didn't realize this til I got home. The photos are usable from that camera but I would almost put them in the trash.
    *sigh* At least it has decent video. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2012
    insanefred wrote: »
    During the wedding I recently did, I didn't realize this til I got home. The photos are usable from that camera but I would almost put them in the trash.
    *sigh* At least it has decent video. rolleyes1.gif

I hope that when you say "did", you mean "was a guest at"... Otherwise the "didn't realize the photos were almost trash-worthy" sounds pretty scary...

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2012
    I hope that when you say "did", you mean "was a guest at"... Otherwise the "didn't realize the photos were almost trash-worthy" sounds pretty scary...

=Matt=

Just the few I took with that camera. I was mostly using the D700 98% of the time.
    When ever the D5100 detects that there is a flash attached and on, it limits itself to 1/200th of a second and just closes down the aperture when it is too bright. So, I got photos that were 1/200th sec. and f/11 to f/16 too often, making everything in focus, that included a lot of distractions in the back round. It also was great to show camera shake and motion blur. :cry
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2012
    insanefred wrote: »
    Just the few I took with that camera. I was mostly using the D700 98% of the time.
    When ever the D5100 detects that there is a flash attached and on, it limits itself to 1/200th of a second and just closes down the aperture when it is too bright. So, I got photos that were 1/200th sec. and f/11 to f/16 too often, making everything in focus, that included a lot of distractions in the back round. It also was great to show camera shake and motion blur. :cry

Well, then I hope that all the uncle bobs out there go and buy D5100's, that way I wont' have to worry about them getting better photos than me. :-P

=Matt=
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,909 moderator
    edited July 23, 2012
    I suggest purchasing a 2-stop ND (neutral density) filter* to use during strong and direct sunlight conditions. That will effectively convert the camera's sensitivity to ISO 25 when the camera is set to ISO 100. That should give you sufficient control over ambient light to allow larger working apertures without wasting an exorbitant amount of flash power.

Yes, it is still wasteful of flash power and more wasteful than HSS/FP mode flash at close range. Anything darker than a 2-stop filter will also seriously affect AF performance and viewfinder brightness.

You might also try a "hypersync" approach using a compatible PocketWizard set. (The Nikon D5100 is apparently supported for MiniTT1 /FlexTT5 as of firmware version 3. I haven't seen any documented use of hypersync with that body, however.)

Be sure to let Nikon know about your feelings regarding the lack of an FP mode on the D5100.

*(An ND4 filter, sometimes labelled an 0.6 ND filter.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2012
    ...Or, just buy a Nikon D70 and call it a day. :-P 1/500 native sync, and HSS on top of that...

=Matt=