Options

AI Focus/AF Points missing w/EFS 17-85mm lens

pmartin4665pmartin4665 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited November 22, 2005 in Cameras
Greetings:
I recently purchased an EOS 20D kit (EFS 18-55mm) and the EFS 17-85mm lens. When I switch lenses I notice that the AI Focus/AF Points no longer appear with the EFS 17-85mm lens - what am I doing wrong? I've re-read the manual for the camera and the EFS 17-85mm lens but cannot resolve this issue.

I know it is probably some obvious, glaring omission on my part however, I'm new to this camera and the ability of changing lenses (I previously had an Olympus E20-N) so please display your mettle when you reply to this newbie!

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to your reply.

Comments

• Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    First thing I'd check is which autofocus setting you have the camera set to, and then which point. My manual is not immediately to be found, but on the 20d you can switch between using all or just one focus point and then you can switch which focus point you are using. You do this with the back right buttona nd the toggle. (Boy I wish my manual were handy and I could use the right jargon).
    Anyway, that is where I'd start.

ann
  • Options
    Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    Are the points there, just not activating? Make sure the 17-85 is set to AF not MF on the side of the lensne_nau.gif Also check the contacts on the 17-85, if the AF points show up but not with this lens it's most likely something wrong with the lens.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited November 13, 2005
    First, Check that the 17-85 lens does not have the AF switch turned off. If you turn off the AF switch on the lens, the AF points will not light up if you just look through the viewfinder - they will ONLY light up if you carefully focus the lens and then the AF point will light up over the area that is in focus.

If you get no AF light in the viewfinder after carefully focusing, I would carefully clean the electrical contacts on the back of the lens, and then remount the lens, and try again. Finally, the lens could be defective, but not likely.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2005
    Still cannot get it to function . . .
    Thank you for the reply!

The AI Focus/AF Points work each time I put the EFS 18-55mm lens on. Whenever I swap the EFS 17-85mm lens on, the AI Focus/AF Points no longer appear. I turn the camera off each time I switch lenses and I ensure that the lens is set to the "AF" mode. The contacts on the EFS 17-85mm lens appear clean - I purchased it new from B&H Photo and have had it approximately one week (never outdoors, no drops, no fouls). This really has me puzzled . . . am I doing this right? Do I have a bad lens or do I need to make another adjustment with the camera? Does AI Focus/AF Points work with other lenses in the fully automatic mode? I've tried all combinations (i.e. P, Tv, Av, M, portrait, night, etc.) but each time the AI Focus/AF Points won't appear with the 17-85mm. Should I contact B&H for technical support/return?

I really appreciate your help.
  • Options
    Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2005
    Sounds like something is wrong with the 17-85. I would contact B&H. If there is something wrong I'm sure their customer service department will take care of it right away. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2005
    Sounds like the lens is defective. :cry

• Options
    edited November 14, 2005
    Sending it back to B&H; bought Omni Pro attache bag
    Thank you for your insight. I contacted B&H and obtained an RMA to send it back. I'm guessing I received a defective lens.

While on the phone w/B&H I ordered Tiffen 58mm & 67mm Skylight 1-A Glass filters for the respective lenses and a Lowepro Omni Pro Attache camera bag w/shoulder strap & Pro Extreme Hard Case (B&H LOOPEB). I have a smaller version for my previous camera (Olympus E20-N) however, I cannot fit the EOS 20D with the battery pack. Has anyone else purchased this combo case and, if so, can you actually fit the EOS 20D w/the attached battery pack?

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to your reply.
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2005
    Problem resolved (faulty lens)
    I received my replacement lens from B&H and everything works fine! Obviously the original was defective. It was nice dealing with a reputable company in a situation like this - who knows what the outcome would have been had I purchased the lens elsewhere.
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2005
    Glad to hear things turned out for the better!! :):

Now, go out and show us some wideangle stuff!! iloveyou.gif