Options

What do you use for packaging Cards?

MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
edited July 24, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
I am looking for packaging options for sets of 5x7 photo cards.

What do you use?

The simple dark brown TAP boxes look OK, and I can add my own branding, but I wanted to find out what others are doing. A bit pricey though

I am looking to package them for point of sale options for art shows, and a couple of retail stores.

Also, I am interested in your experience with photo cards.

Comments

• Options
    deb22deb22 Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2012
    Hi Dee, I use" crystal clear bags".com for all my card supplies. They have the clear boxes that are great for photo cards and have all the extra [ ribbons,bands, card stock, envelopes etc]. I make a decent living with photo cards [ 80% of my business is in cards] They are very good quality and priced decently, I purchase my card stock from them as well but I use a very high quality which is quite expensive but my customers want a quality product if they are paying good money. Your" muir" series would be FANTASTIC in a 5x7 card. Many photographers don't bother with cards but I can sell over 900 in a single 4 hr farmers market so the people want them. One thing I would caution is set out a number of your prints for the cards and hold back the absolute best only for canvas prints for the home. I have found this to be a huge selling feature as the ones who can afford the canvas will buy it and those who cannot still get a photo they like and can afford but will save up for the one they really want at a later date. Also try and do a series if you are going to a market or retail store as you will find that people will want to collect all the prints in that series. Good luck to you.
    COUNTRY ROADS ARE NATURES HIGHWAY. http://dafontainewildlife.com
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2012
    Thanks Deb,
    I found a couple of other posts of yours. So you just sell your cards separately with volume discounts. That would simplify what I was thinking in groups of 12 or 25, and then what to include in boxes was where I was at in my mental process. Your approach simplifies things a bit.

I use the Entrada Moab for my fine art prints and have a roll of the 190 bright. I was planning to use the same for my cards. What do you use, and what has been your experience with paper?
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2012
    ANother question: Do you sign the prints on your cards?
  • Options
    deb22deb22 Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2012
    Hi Dee, Yes I sign the cards digital signature[lower right corner] I only hand sign canvas and on occasion paper when asked which is more often than not. I tried all sorts of paper years ago to see which sold best[for cards only] and to my surprise high gloss won out by 95%. It was shock to me but I learned long ago that if you know your market do what it tells you and NOT what other professionals say is better. I would have certainly gone with a matt or fine art paper as most do and thought that was how it is supposed to be but the public is way different in their thinking than we are. Try and go with a good less expensive gloss as it will sell good for the cards and it leaves a huge separation between the cards and the fine art prints. Once you get people buying the cards you will see that many of them WILL come to you for the print of their dreams for the wall and it is important that they receive a different better quality product cause they will be paying a whole lot more and can physically see the difference without the need for any explanations on your part. All my cards are 5x7 and only attached with tape at the top end so they can be removed and framed very easily which is what the majority do, so I place them with a color co-ordinated envelope [ they don't send them but the envelope adds to the photo and frames it better] and seal them in a crystal clear bag with the envelope in the center of the card. I do it this way as I have the story of the photo on the back of the cards which can be read before they buy it. Some buy it for the story of the shot as much as the shot itself. The personal touch is important as it creates a relationship with the artist and if they are going to display the work they have a story to tell visitors about. That is why I use a high grade card stock as many keep the back of the cards and show the story as well as the photo. I hope this helps you with your cards and good luck too you. If you have any more questions do not hesitate to contact me as I don't mind sharing any info I may have to help others succeed .
    COUNTRY ROADS ARE NATURES HIGHWAY. http://dafontainewildlife.com