Fun Day in the Field

jeff lapointjeff lapoint Registered Users Posts: 1,228 Major grins
edited November 15, 2005 in Wildlife
Had a great time at Bolsa today and even got lucky with a few critters that are usually less than cooperativethumb.gif

I've never seen a little guy try to be eaten more than this fellow. Here he is playing on the rattlesnake mound as a hawk circles far overhead. After 30mins of waiting I gave up on catching something dramaticne_nau.gif

44416015-L.jpg

44416046-L.jpg
44416033-L.jpg

Need some ID help with this raptor. Any ideas?
44415942-L.jpg

The red tail was surprisingly ham-like today...

44415992-L.jpg

44415981-L.jpg

44416004-L.jpg

44415974-L.jpg

I know, I know, dial down the EV Ben and Jeff will sayuhoh2.gif...but considering I had the black to worry about and PS doesn't report a total blowout on any section...ne_nau.gificon10.gifblbl.gif

By far the highlight of my trip today was the kites. They are, however, no so found of letting me get too close. I was glad I had the camera ready as this on took off.

44415960-L.jpg

44415968-L.jpg
Thanks for the look!

-j

Comments

• bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2005
    glad you had fun and brought these beauties home
    raptor shots are all super
    to bad the ummmm big rat wasn't lunch for one of them :uhoh rolleyes1.gif
  • jeff lapointjeff lapoint Registered Users Posts: 1,228 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    glad you had fun and brought these beauties home
    raptor shots are all super
    to bad the ummmm big rat wasn't lunch for one of them :uhoh rolleyes1.gif
    Now that would have been awesome...

Thanks Ben! Catch you next time!

-j
    edited November 14, 2005
    Now that would have been awesome...

Thanks Ben! Catch you next time!

-j

Sorry I forgot the BIF raptor is a Kestral.
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2005
    the one is a merlin or imm peregrine --size is the big thing [real good capture ] and please tell me where you shot it .location. red tail was that at bolsa headscratch.gif also very good thumb.gif very sad some one did not do take out lunch :cry someday one of us well be there mwink.gif good day clap.gifdo not want to disagree with ben but i think merlin --kite is also great
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
    edited November 14, 2005
    jwear wrote:
    the one is a merlin or imm peregrine --size is the big thing [real good capture ] and please tell me where you shot it .location. red tail was that at bolsa headscratch.gif also very good thumb.gif very sad some one did not do take out lunch :cry someday one of us well be there mwink.gif good day clap.gifdo not want to disagree with ben but i think merlin --kite is also great
    Thanks Jeff! All taken at Bolsa. The key for me today was parking in the Warner entrance and taking the trail that runs along the fence. The red tail was perched on a street lamp on Warner and the merlin/kestrel/perigrine was right by the parking lot off Warner.
    edited November 14, 2005
    Thanks Jeff! All taken at Bolsa. The key for me today was parking in the Warner entrance and taking the trail that runs along the fence. The red tail was perched on a street lamp on Warner and the merlin/kestrel/perigrine was right by the parking lot off Warner.
    on warner by that little body of water headscratch.gif early or late in the day ??
    Jeff W

edited November 14, 2005
    jwear wrote:
    on warner by that little body of water headscratch.gif early or late in the day ??
    yeah. 'bout 11:30/12 noon
    edited November 14, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    Sorry I forgot the BIF raptor is a Kestral.
    Do we have a final consensus on the ID?
    edited November 14, 2005

OK Jeff and I have been using our one remaining brain cell that is working and after much book and internet searching ......... it is

A Merlin

and again well done thumb.gif
    edited November 14, 2005
    I just talked with Ben
    merlin the dark lines and the tail are the spots to look they are very close --Ben said it was a baldeagle ---immm ofcourserolleyes1.gif I think we both agree on merlin --we do agree that it is a great shot thumb.gif
    Jeff W

• dallasdallas Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    Jeff, you're right up there with the big boys. The last two are fab. Can hardly wait to get a TC.
    edited November 15, 2005
    dallas wrote:
    Jeff, you're right up there with the big boys. The last two are fab. Can hardly wait to get a TC.
    Thanks Dallas! The TC is great, but does come with its inherent optical limitations (slight image degredation and loss of light).
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    Excellent series Jeff.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"