Bighorn Sheep

rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
edited August 2, 2012 in Wildlife
6) You know, sometimes you find good photo opportunities in the strangest places. The above shots were taken across a very, very busy road under construction just outside of a Canadian town. (Keep your camera handy!)

It still never ceases to amaze me at how stupid people can be. This guy walked right up for a close-up shot with his cell phone. (BTW, I was across the road nestled safely down behind the guard-rail)
I was ready and waiting for a good Darwin shot that I could sell to a magazine :rofl
Randy

Comments

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,885 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2012
    Amazing shots!
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2012
    Juano wrote: »
    Amazing shots!
    Thanks for the kind comments!
    Randy
  • silvio000silvio000 Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2012
    Hey, who won the fight?!?! :-D

great shots btw

Sílvio Oliveirawww.silviooliveira.net

• JohnDCJohnDC Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2012
    rwells wrote: »
    1)
    It still never ceases to amaze me at how stupid people can be. This guy walked right up for a close-up shot with his cell phone.
    I was ready and waiting for a good Darwin shot that I could sell to a magazine rolleyes1.gif
    i-CB3CDBj-L.jpg

These are great shots, Randy, catching the rams in mid air.
    I just got back from Yellowstone, where there was no shortage of people being stupid with animals.
    After warning morons away from confrontations with angry bison, I, too, had thoughts about the alternate route of getting photo-documentation for this year's Darwin awards. But I was also worried that the justified attack by the bison might get the animal in trouble--namely getting put down for defending its calf against a clueless, instigating tourist.
    ---John
    edited July 24, 2012
    silvio000 wrote: »
    Hey, who won the fight?!?! :-D

great shots btw
    I have no idea! They were still going at it when I left.

Thanks for looking.
    Randy
    edited July 24, 2012
    JohnDC wrote: »
    These are great shots, Randy, catching the rams in mid air.
    I just got back from Yellowstone, where there was no shortage of people being stupid with animals.
    After warning morons away from confrontations with angry bison, I, too, had thoughts about the alternate route of getting photo-documentation for this year's Darwin awards. But I was also worried that the justified attack by the bison might get the animal in trouble--namely getting put down for defending its calf against a clueless, instigating tourist.
    ---John
    Like they say, "there's no cure for stupid".

That said, I'm waiting for someone to point out my grizzly bear photos ne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Randy
  • GoldflakeGoldflake Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited July 27, 2012
    Very brave shot because no one like to mess with these both sheep with bighorn. :)
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2012
    rwells wrote: »
    Like they say, "there's no cure for stupid".

Oh yes there is . . . and it's often permanent.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2012
    Fantastic find and series! :Thumb
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
    edited July 27, 2012
    Goldflake wrote: »
    Very brave shot because no one like to mess with these both sheep with bighorn. :)

Not brave for me. I was hunkered down behind the guard-rail. rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
    edited July 27, 2012
    Icebear wrote: »
    Oh yes there is . . . and it's often permanent.

thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited July 27, 2012
    Fantastic find and series! :Thumb

Thanks Dick thumb.gif
    Randy
  • korandokekorandoke Registered Users Posts: 517 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2012
    nice serie
    Best regards,
    Korandoke
  • PilotBradPilotBrad Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2012
    Wow... Cool shots!!!
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2012
    Remarkable!
    #1 is my favorite - the expression on the right-hand sheep's face.
    Nat Geo stuff....clap.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
    edited July 28, 2012
    korandoke wrote: »
    nice serie

Thanks for looking Korandoke!
    Randy
    edited July 28, 2012
    PilotBrad wrote: »
    Wow... Cool shots!!!

Appreciate that Brad!
    Randy
    edited July 28, 2012
    Earache wrote: »
    Remarkable!
    #1 is my favorite - the expression on the right-hand sheep's face.
    Nat Geo stuff....clap.gif

Thank you Eric for that very nice comment!
    Randy
  • MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2012
    Excellent Excellent shots. Great action and all I can say about Einstein there is that I don't think he will be collecting his old age pension :)

Would you mind sharing what Canadian town? I live near where these animals are abundant in Southeastern BC.
    Cheers,
    Monte
    edited July 29, 2012
    Montec wrote: »
    Excellent Excellent shots. Great action and all I can say about Einstein there is that I don't think he will be collecting his old age pension :)

Would you mind sharing what Canadian town? I live near where these animals are abundant in Southeastern BC.

Thanks Monte for the kind words. I believe it was just outside Kamloops. (East side)
    Randy
  • JohnDCJohnDC Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2012
    One more thing... these shots are very sharp. The EXIF says you were using a Canon 7D, but what lens were you using?
    edited July 29, 2012
    JohnDC wrote: »
    One more thing... these shots are very sharp. The EXIF says you were using a Canon 7D, but what lens were you using?

Hey John,

I used my (ver1) Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS. It is an extremely sharp copy. So much so that I couldn't see a need to upgrade to (ver2) of that lens.

Thanks for your interest thumb.gif
    Randy
  • JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2012
    Totally wonderful. I wonder if they were habituated to people, or so much drunk on hormones that they didn't care where they were? Excellent shots, chance favors the prepared, even as close as that guy got, his shots are probably kinda crap.

I walked upon a herd of these guys, well, mostly females and foals, in a desert mountain range, and had to go work where they were hanging out. They weren't too happy to leave, and I'd walked for a couple of hours to get there, so I needed to do my stuff, but going through my head the whole time was 'how aggressive are these guys'? They usually scatter (and there are usually far fewer), as soon as they hear me coming. All I had was a point and shoot, so no great photos. These are awesome.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • fool4thecityfool4thecity Registered Users Posts: 632 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2012
    Awsome images! I couldn't believe the last one! How can people be so stupid? I was hoping it was some kind of photoshop trick. People that walk right into situations like that wreck it for all of us.
    edited July 30, 2012
    kolibri wrote: »
    Totally wonderful. I wonder if they were habituated to people, or so much drunk on hormones that they didn't care where they were? Excellent shots, chance favors the prepared, even as close as that guy got, his shots are probably kinda crap.

I walked upon a herd of these guys, well, mostly females and foals, in a desert mountain range, and had to go work where they were hanging out. They weren't too happy to leave, and I'd walked for a couple of hours to get there, so I needed to do my stuff, but going through my head the whole time was 'how aggressive are these guys'? They usually scatter (and there are usually far fewer), as soon as they hear me coming. All I had was a point and shoot, so no great photos. These are awesome.

Even though I left before they did, there was no doubt that they were fighting for the win. I was there about 30 minutes, and when they weren't butting heads, they were constantly kicking each other in the "personals" with a front leg. eek7.gif

Thanks for the nice comments thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited July 30, 2012
    Awsome images! I couldn't believe the last one! How can people be so stupid? I was hoping it was some kind of photoshop trick. People that walk right into situations like that wreck it for all of us.

Nope, no PS trick, just a stupid human trick rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for looking Mike!
    Randy
  • Dennis KaczorDennis Kaczor Registered Users Posts: 2,413 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2012
    Some great action shots Randy, not sure I would want to be that close to them with that guy in close.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2012
    Outstanding captures Randy. clap.gif

I'm always amazed at the stupidity of people in their interactions with wildlife.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited August 1, 2012
    Some great action shots Randy, not sure I would want to be that close to them with that guy in close.

Thanks Dennis thumb.gif

I was safely hunkered down behind the guard-rail across the road :D
    Randy
    edited August 1, 2012
    Harryb wrote: »
    Outstanding captures Randy. clap.gif

I'm always amazed at the stupidity of people in their interactions with wildlife.

Thanks for looking and the comments Harry.

And ditto on the second line :D
    Randy