Options

New Canon mirrorless system

2»

Comments

• Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2012
    If they labeled an EF-S 15-85mm as 24-136mm, then the f-numbers would have to change too. I don't think you really want that.

What if I was more comfortable with Medium Format, and I ranted that 50mm lenses should be marked 80mm? You'd probably think I was nuts.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2012
    If they labeled an EF-S 15-85mm as 24-136mm, then the f-numbers would have to change too. I don't think you really want that.

What if I was more comfortable with Medium Format, and I ranted that 50mm lenses should be marked 80mm? You'd probably think I was nuts.

Probably. :D

I'm a bit confused with the f-number bit.
    Are you saying that an EF-S lens, lets say a Canon EF-S 17-50 F2.8, at 17mm and f2.8 on a crop sensor camera will meter differently
    then a Canon EF 28-70 f2.8, at 28mm and f2.8 on a full framer? (different shutter speed at the same iso)

I didn't know this. (I may have to try this)

I don't think it's a question of what you're comfortable with.
    As I said in a early post, 35mm format is more or less the gold standard.
    I don't think anyone here would argue this point. (but I may be wrong) ne_nau.gif

Now that I've HiJacked this thread without really trying, Back to out regular thread.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2012
    davev wrote: »
    Probably. :D

I'm a bit confused with the f-number bit.
    Are you saying that an EF-S lens, lets say a Canon EF-S 17-50 F2.8, at 17mm and f2.8 on a crop sensor camera will meter differently
    then a Canon EF 28-70 f2.8, at 28mm and f2.8 on a full framer? (different shutter speed at the same iso)

It will meter the same, but the size of the aperture at 17mm f/2.8 is 6mm. If you labeled the lens 27mm, you couldn't also label it f/2.8 because the size of the aperture is not 27/2.8 (9.6mm).

27mm divided by 6mm gives you 4.5, which is why the DOF of the 17-55 is equivalent to a f/4.5 lens on FF.
    I didn't know this. (I may have to try this)

I tried it with my old 5D2 and 7D. They metered nearly the same. They were off by like 1/10 of a second due to the different meters.
    As I said in a early post, 35mm format is more or less the gold standard.

In consumer world, yes it is.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2012
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,860 moderator
    edited July 27, 2012
    Manfr3d wrote: »

I don't see an appropriate level of pain and grimace. (That combination, handheld, would be a physical pain to use.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2012
    Photoshopped. Monopod deleted.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited July 27, 2012
    Not sure, to me it looks like the guy was expecting to be outside the picture :) Original story here.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2012
    Not sure, to me it looks like the guy was expecting to be outside the picture :) Original story here.

A Canon EF 800mm f/5.6 L IS USM weighs 9.9lbs. A gallon of water (or a gallon of milk, etc.) weighs 8.35lbs. Take the gallon of (whatever) and hold it at arms length, like they show in the image. Make a mental note of how it feels in a few seconds.

The description at the link you provided, "I must say this looks like an extremely comfortable setup for general walk around birding.", is almost certainly a joke. (Sarcasm does not translate well to written text. mwink.gif)
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2012
    How about hand holding a Sigma 200-500mm f/2.8, that looks heavy (16kg) ? :)
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2012
    How about hand holding a Sigma 200-500mm f/2.8, that looks heavy (16kg) ? :)

Yep, I do that every day. (Feel the sarcasm? rolleyes1.gif)
    ziggy53
  • Options
    MooseKillerMooseKiller Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2012
    I think it would be an easy way to carry around a second body... Just throw it in a pocket and go. I just have a hard time with the $799 price tag. $499ish seems a bit more realistic.
  • Options
    ThreeGuysPhotographyThreeGuysPhotography Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2012
    Dont mind:
    the limited amount of physical buttons/dials
    missing viewfinder
    on camera pop-up flash

Like:
    Small size
    APS-C sized sensor
    22mm f/2 kit lens
    Adapter for my EF lenses and hotshoe for my Canon flashes.

Love:
    Having a small portable camera with 22mm f/2 lens & decent size sensor for street photography or walk around.
    Having a small portable video camera that can use my EF lenses with continuous AF.
    Throwing it in the bag with my 5d2 & lenses for a backup/2nd body.

Concerns:
    speed of AF with M as well as EF lenses
    coming up with the $1000 to buy it and the adapter
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2012
    Dont mind:
    the limited amount of physical buttons/dials
    missing viewfinder
    on camera pop-up flash

Like:
    Small size
    APS-C sized sensor
    22mm f/2 kit lens
    Adapter for my EF lenses and hotshoe for my Canon flashes.

Love:
    Having a small portable camera with 22mm f/2 lens & decent size sensor for street photography or walk around.
    Having a small portable video camera that can use my EF lenses with continuous AF.
    Throwing it in the bag with my 5d2 & lenses for a backup/2nd body.

Concerns:
    speed of AF with M as well as EF lenses
    coming up with the $1000 to buy it and the adapter

the price is going to be a sticking point, hope they offer some discounts at year end
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2012
    At last, the EOS M has been announced for first outing at Photokina!

I couldn't find another thread for it. Mods - delete this if there is one already.

it's finally here, some early buyers are reviewing it on POTN