Options

Instagram for live photo updates

shadowdancer36shadowdancer36 Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
edited July 24, 2012 in Cameras
Does anyone know of any hardware/software that will allow a person to take photos and send them directly to Instagram? And I do mean from an SLR not a Cell Phone.

Even if I have to send the photos to a laptop first (wireless) are their any programs that will allow me to post pictures without use of a cell?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,909 moderator
    edited July 23, 2012
    Instagram seems available for iPhone and Android systems. You may be able to find an emulator for those systems which may run on your laptop. It seems a lot of extra trouble vs native laptop applications.

What is your intent? Do you really need something about Instagram, or is this just a wish?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Instagram seems available for iPhone and Android systems. You may be able to find an emulator for those systems which may run on your laptop. It seems a lot of extra trouble vs native laptop applications.

What is your intent? Do you really need something about Instagram, or is this just a wish?

I wish to grow my Instagram followers. The plan is for me to do live updates using this app when I'm at parties. People then add me and tag themselves to the photos. It seem like it would only be a protocol that would need to be used to fool Instagram into thinking it's a mobile device.
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2012
    It seems that there is a "proxy" service called "Luxogram" which forwards your content to Instagram. I've never used the service myself so I don't know the qualities and capabilities, but it sounds similar to what you desire.

I certainly would not recommend sending anything serious through Luxogram, since they are pretty much an unknown entity.

Edit: To be honest, this sort of proxy service scares me to death. You have to share personal information that you would never normally share. You're probably also using a public access point with your laptop, with very little to protect you from interception of all of your data.

I wish you luck.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2012
    Thanks ziggy. I checked it out, but it didn't allow uploads. Which is the main thing I was looking for. I did try out a droid emulator and ran the instagram app. Everything worked until I clicked the camera option. Since it's no camera there, it sorta went blank then went back to the feed.

Sucks because they force you to start your camera without browsing.
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2012
    Very good analysis of the situation. thumb.gif It's a closely integrated and closed system that doesn't allow for many options.
    ziggy53