Options

Outside My Box - Hits Or Misses?

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited July 26, 2012 in People
I'm Pushing myself to do poses and processing that are outside of what is normal for me. These are a few of me going way outside of my personal "comfort zone" with poses, lighting and processing in an attempt to grow.

Opinions please.

Thanks!!!

i-W8QB8Kp-L.jpg

i-jRPGf8p-L.jpg

i-P77jXfn-L.jpg

i-7rRVHXf-L.jpg

i-b3V6XBh-L.jpg

i-5SPbPn2-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    3smiles3smiles Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited July 23, 2012
    I think they are great but I am new at this all!!
    Liza
  • Options
    Chris02Chris02 Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited July 23, 2012
    Really like 1 and 2, like the processing
    LR 4.1 Nik Silver efex 2
    D90 + D50 Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM
    Nikon 55-300 mm f4.5-5.6G ED DX AF-S VR
    Landscapes, Sport and Buildings are my bag.
    Chris White Cheltenham England
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2012
    I like 1 and 6.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2012
    Like them all except 5, scene is to dominant in that one. Really like 1...to nit if she were looking just a bit more image right and up would have been better.
    Try to not have their face and or shoulders square to the camera (3 is just right) ...I call that "locking in".
    Keep pushing boundaries...that is where the growth is. Nice job on these, looks like everyone was having fun.
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2012
    #4 I recently learned if the fingers do not dip enough at the top to make a true heart shape it means something else in American Sign Language, something you do not want to "say" , something that starts with a V.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2012
    I really like all of the poses! 3 is a little cheesy for me but the portrait of her is good.

Personally, i'm not a fan of the processing on some but thats just my taste. :)
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2012
    I like , I like 1...... especially because of the feeling of depth and the great expression combined with the after processing.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2012
    3smiles wrote: »
    I think they are great but I am new at this all!!
    Thanks!
    Chris02 wrote: »
    Really like 1 and 2, like the processing
    Thanks for the input on processing. I'm up in the air about it. Something I've not done before and am still feeling my way around what works and what doesn't.
    I like 1 and 6.
    Thanks...

Was REALLY up in the air about no. 6
    zoomer wrote: »
    Like them all except 5, scene is to dominant in that one. Really like 1...to nit if she were looking just a bit more image right and up would have been better.
    Try to not have their face and or shoulders square to the camera (3 is just right) ...I call that "locking in".
    Keep pushing boundaries...that is where the growth is. Nice job on these, looks like everyone was having fun.
    I concur on number five. Union has a specific meaning in that household and thought I'd try and work it in, but as I suspected it didn't work.
    VayCayMom wrote: »
    #4 I recently learned if the fingers do not dip enough at the top to make a true heart shape it means something else in American Sign Language, something you do not want to "say" , something that starts with a V.
    :D I'm going to assume that it's not Victory!
    lilmomma wrote: »
    I really like all of the poses! 3 is a little cheesy for me but the portrait of her is good.

Personally, i'm not a fan of the processing on some but thats just my taste. :)
    Thanks for the input! Cheesy is a good description!
    D3Sshooter wrote: »
    I like , I like 1...... especially because of the feeling of depth and the great expression combined with the after processing.
    Thanks, that was my favorite too!
  • Options
    YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2012
    Bryce:

If this is out of your box, you really did a great job.!!!!
    I like them all.
    Preferred: 1,3,4 and 6.
    Very nice and processing look good to me.
    Carlos
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2012
    Really cute ideas here but exposures seem hot. Do you own a Hoodman? It really helps in evaluating the lighting on the back of the camera. It improved my work alot when I take the time to study the image with it.
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2012
    YAY Bryce for busting out of the "normal". I need to do that once in a while.

# 1 I love photo and PP
    # 2 Not terrifc but not horrible either. Like the tint treatment but you softened it a bit too much for me.
    # 3 Love it.
    # 4 Like this idea a lot. I'd crop it in closer and move her hands just slightly to (camera) right so there's no dark spot between her (camera) left hand and her face.

#s 5 & 6 - Sorry but these do nothing for me.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    GothamGotham Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2012
    1, 2 & 6 are my favorites, pose and composition-wise. 6 feels very natural and real to me, which I like a lot. Not a fan of the PP on #2 though: the sepia feels too yellow/green and it's too washed-out for my taste.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2012
    1 (although the expression is a tad flat) and 6 (although you don't need the added flare - I personally hate, hate, hate PS flare except in VERY rare circumstances!)
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2012
    Yaflyyadie wrote: »
    Bryce:

If this is out of your box, you really did a great job.!!!!
    I like them all.
    Preferred: 1,3,4 and 6.
    Very nice and processing look good to me.
    Carlos
    Thanks Carlos!
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Really cute ideas here but exposures seem hot. Do you own a Hoodman? It really helps in evaluating the lighting on the back of the camera. It improved my work alot when I take the time to study the image with it.
    That does look like a nifty little gadget! Thanks.
    YAY Bryce for busting out of the "normal". I need to do that once in a while.

# 1 I love photo and PP
    # 2 Not terrifc but not horrible either. Like the tint treatment but you softened it a bit too much for me.
    # 3 Love it.
    # 4 Like this idea a lot. I'd crop it in closer and move her hands just slightly to (camera) right so there's no dark spot between her (camera) left hand and her face.

#s 5 & 6 - Sorry but these do nothing for me.
    Good input, Thanks.
    Gotham wrote: »
    1, 2 & 6 are my favorites, pose and composition-wise. 6 feels very natural and real to me, which I like a lot. Not a fan of the PP on #2 though: the sepia feels too yellow/green and it's too washed-out for my taste.
    Thank you for your opinion!
    divamum wrote: »
    1 (although the expression is a tad flat) and 6 (although you don't need the added flare - I personally hate, hate, hate PS flare except in VERY rare circumstances!)
    Thanks...
    Funny, the expression is one of the things I like best about 1.
    I'm guessing your not a big fan of PS flare.:D
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2012

I'm guessing your not a big fan of PS flare.:D

Glad you're sensitive enough to pick up my subtle hints to that effect rolleyes1.gif

Seriously, Bryce, your shots these days run from "good" to "great" - most of the comments are merely a matter of personal taste thumb.gif