Options

background

RRSPhotoRRSPhoto Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
edited August 8, 2012 in Sports
I have been shooting my Grandson's 6 year old baseball. All the fields except one were 100% chain link fence background. My keeper % was awful. I am using a 50D with a 70-200 f4 (non-IS), a 300 f4 and a 1.4 Extender. Using one shot AV with center spot, the pictures are fine. When I go to AI Servo, my keepers go way down. I am not sure how much of my problem is USER ERROR or equipment. Recommendations when every background is a chain link fence?

RRSPhoto@charter.net
www.rschwarz.photography

Comments

• Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2012
    When you go to AI Servo, do you keep using a single AF point? You should, and aim for an area of contrast like the face, collar, chest (if there is a logo there) or belt. All points active can confuse the camera. The bare 300/4 should do the best at blurring the background. Don't use the teleconverter, you lose half the light which will also affect AF. Also keep in mind that AI Servo mode can take a second to lock-on to the subject. Try constantly tracking the subject with your thumb on the back AF-ON button, and use the shutter button only to take the picture. Taking your finger off the shutter button stops the AF, so you can keep the AF tracking with the AF-ON button. If you still get no joy, then it may be time to consider a 7D or a 70-200/2.8. f/2.8 activates the high precision mode of your center AF point.

padres07-XL.jpg
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    RRSPhotoRRSPhoto Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
    edited July 25, 2012
    Yes, I use single point and back button focusing. I do fine with batting. This level baseball can be like beehive soccer. When I come try to follow a player through another player or coach, I frequently end up with a very sharp fence. Would a 7D make that much difference?

RRSPhoto@charter.net
    www.rschwarz.photography

• Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2012
    RRSPhoto wrote: »
    Yes, I use single point and back button focusing. I do fine with batting. This level baseball can be like beehive soccer. When I come try to follow a player through another player or coach, I frequently end up with a very sharp fence. Would a 7D make that much difference?

Probably, as you can adjust the tracking sensitivity - that is how fast the camera switches subjects when another subject crosses in front of the subject you were previously tracking. And the AF is way more sophisticated in general. But no camera is going to eliminate this problem completely.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2012
    I used a Canon 50D with 70-200m F4 for shooting sports before switching to the Canon 7D and 70-200 F2.8. I have a lot more keepers with this combination.
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2012
    RRSPhoto wrote: »

Fences are high contrast, so the AF *really* likes to lock on to these! I have the same problem with the net in soccer goals: it's really hard to stay locked on to the keeper when he moves quickly. It is important to be extra careful if you have a high contrast background.

One trick I use in baseball is to manually focus on where the action is going to happen. This may be at the plate, or on second base if you think a runner on first might steal it. Baseball is one of those sports where you can often predict where the action is going to be, and prepare accordingly.

But yes, upgrading to a better dSLR with improved AF will help...