Pilgrimage and Healing - I got the Cover

DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
edited November 16, 2005 in People
A book was just published with one of my photos on the cover (bottom photo). Smugmug does pay off. The University of Arizona Press, the publisher for this book, did a web search on Run For The Wall and came up with my photos from the 2004 Run For The Wall that I had on Smugmug. There were a couple of photos they liked, but I had shot them down and dirty in JPG at medium resolution so didn't have one at a high enough resolution. I told them that I was going back again this past May so they commissioned me to shoot the cover photo for them.

This time I used the Canon 1Ds and shot RAW. I sent them about a hundred lo-res to choose from and the one below is the one they ended up using. There were others which I liked much better, but they were paying and doing the picking. I'm just happy that they liked the work and bought the photo.

I haven't received my copy of the book yet, but the contract called for a by-line as well. Here is the book's write up on the University of Arizona Press web site.

The valuable lesson that I learned was - You never know what someone is going to buy so shoot RAW all the time. ...and that's what I do now.

44444072-L.jpg

Click on photo below for EXIF info.

44444074-L.jpg
Dixie
Photographs by Dixie
| Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!

Comments

• ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2005
    Dixie,

BIG CONGRATULATIONS!!!clap.gifclapclap.gifclap

Great shot toothumb.gif
  • PossumCornerPossumCorner Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2005
    Dixie that is so good news. Congrats. It strikes a special chord with me as I spent just a little time in VietNam before Saigon fell. Siobahn has written a neat book "Minefields and Mini Skirts" on the experiences of Australian women in VietNam. More recently Helen Nolan has had published a semi-fiction novel on the same subject "Between the Battles". Geeee if only we had progressed to digital camera when we were there!! I didn't get any of my photos in their books - camera was stolen in Saigon.

We have the VietNam Veterans motor cycle groups here in Australia too, and locally a cyclist group of Vets. As the book you have "covered" suggests, there are a lot of unresolved issues going on with people, and some strange-seeming ways of resolving them.
  • DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2005
    Thank you Thusie and Possum Corner. Your comments are appreciated.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2005
    Congrats...and a good plug for smugmug as well :)

Lee
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2005
    That's awesome!
    Dixie,
    big congrats!
    WTG!clap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2005
    Awesome Dixie.... Congrats.....
    edited November 16, 2005
    leebase wrote:
    Congrats...and a good plug for smugmug as well :)

Lee
    Thanks Lee. ...and I tried to give Smugmug a plug. :):
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    edited November 16, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    Dixie,
    big congrats!
    WTG!clap.gif
    Thanks Nik. I knew I had the cover about January. I knew which photo in June, but had to wait until they came out with the listing showing the cover with the new photo early in Nov. before I would post. The previous cover they had was one of my photos, but I knew that it wasn't the one they would be using.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    edited November 16, 2005
    ehughes wrote:
    Awesome Dixie.... Congrats.....
    Thanks Ed. I appreciate it.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie