Options

Stealing 2nd!

PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
edited August 11, 2012 in Sports
Really wish I had a longer lens for these shots... but it was still fun to catch the steal.

i-sL9q38h-L.jpg
Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2012
    Glad you had fun! But, since you have a quote about being a photographer in your signature:

As sports photos, these don't work very well. They're too loosely framed, they're from the wrong side (you want faces, not backsides) and the angle is bad. It is exceedingly difficult to make good sports photos from the stands at a baseball game. With great seats you can still do it.

If you are interested in PHOTOGRAPHING baseball I suggest trying to do so at a rec-league level. You'll be able to get much closer, get lower and can actually learn and practice proper techniques. Being a major league baseball fan and photographing baseball are two different things.

For example, no one will confuse this boy with a major leaguer - but it makes for a more interesting photograph and allows one to actually practice technique. A big part of sports photography is location - you need to be in the proper location. As a fan in the stands, that's very difficult.
    172023911_LcD8T-L.jpg
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2012
    I dunno, I like the sequence. Yeah it's technically imperfect, but the fact that he's all-out booking it and the pitcher is right there and completely unaware is amusing to me. I liked it. :)
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    zSCOTTzzSCOTTz Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2012
    Too far away, can't see faces, expressions. You want to catch the steal of the base, not the take off. This shot is outside the fence at a local little league game, able to get much closer at the little league game than at a pro event. He didnt steal the base however, he was thrown out.0.jpg
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2012
    Thats mike trout of the Angels..probaly top 3 fastest guys in the MLB for stealing bases. Probably rookie of the year as well. cool sequence actually.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2012
    coldclimb wrote: »
    I dunno, I like the sequence. Yeah it's technically imperfect, but the fact that he's all-out booking it and the pitcher is right there and completely unaware is amusing to me. I liked it. :)

Trust me, the pitcher is acutely aware of him stealing. It's Mike Trout, of all people. The pitcher knows that he has to pitch the ball at some point, and Trout is just too fast for most MLB catchers.

I have to agree that it's an uninteresting sequence, honestly. I'd be more interested if you got the sequence of an attempted throw to second from the catcher to get Trout out. Although, he's so fast, I'm not sure if there was even an attempt to throw him out.

Shooting sports actions is all about faces, getting the ball in the shot, and a peak moment of action. Being in the right location is crucial to getting all of these in the shot. As John said, get closer if you can. Practice on t-ball or coach-pitch games where you can get close. Anyone can do what you did from the stands - all it took was mashing the shutter button. But knowing WHEN to mash the button, with the right settings, location, lens and composition makes you a sports photographer.
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2012
    One or two shots to capture the slide would have made it a very good series for me.

I try to remember "FACT' when taking sports photos - Face, Action, Contact, Toy (ball, stick..). Get all four in one shot - winner, 3 out of 4 good too.

But does it always have to be that way? These are only guidelines only to me.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2012
    But does it always have to be that way? These are only guidelines only to me.

Yep - it's just a guideline. sometimes there's just something so unique and interesting about a shot the rules don't apply. But this is basic baseball - especially at the major leagues. Sometimes a shot from behind is interesting - I really like this shot because there's something about him pulling away - that pull away and the finger are what make the shot for me (although I wish I had captured more of the player falling away) - I mean the kids were 11 years old:
    655780401_VLd7n-L.jpg
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2012
    johng wrote: »
    Yep - it's just a guideline. sometimes there's just something so unique and interesting about a shot the rules don't apply. But this is basic baseball - especially at the major leagues. Sometimes a shot from behind is interesting - I really like this shot because there's something about him pulling away - that pull away and the finger are what make the shot for me (although I wish I had captured more of the player falling away) - I mean the kids were 11 years old:
    655780401_VLd7n-L.jpg

Great example.
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil