Extreme Macros, S9000, Can't Get Closer Than This

nickphoto123nickphoto123 Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
edited November 16, 2005 in Holy Macro
Hello All,

You can't get closer than this with the 28-300 mm fixed lens of the S9000.

Extreme Macros of Fallen Leaves and Rose Petals (plucked from live roses).
All subjects were placed directly against my UV filter ( B&W ), Manual Focus.

Please excuse my fingers but they were the only way I could keep these leaves and rose petals in place against my UV filter.

Lighting was by removing my lens shade and permitting direct sunshine to fall upon each subject at an angle to my lens.

Shot at the Queens Botanical Garden, November 13, 2005:

http://www.nickphoto123.smugmug.com/gallery/964352/1

( The S9000 is a truly amazing photographic tool, IMHO. )

Regards, Nicholas

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    Hi there
    Hello All,

You can't get closer than this with the 28-300 mm fixed lens of the S9000.

Extreme Macros of Fallen Leaves and Rose Petals (plucked from live roses).
    All subjects were placed directly against my UV filter ( B&W ), Manual Focus.

Please excuse my fingers but they were the only way I could keep these leaves and rose petals in place against my UV filter.

Lighting was by removing my lens shade and permitting direct sunshine to fall upon each subject at an angle to my lens.

Shot at the Queens Botanical Garden, November 13, 2005:

http://www.nickphoto123.smugmug.com/gallery/964352/1

( The S9000 is a truly amazing photographic tool, IMHO. )

Regards, Nicholas
    Hi Nicholas, not sure that I would call them extreme Macros, close-ups yes.
    Flowers and leaves make very nice subjects, especially if you find some really colourful ones ........ I like the one your holding in your fingers the brown one........it's great experiment with Lens keep posting and thank you for sharing your work......... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • nickphoto123nickphoto123 Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi Nicholas, not sure that I would call them extreme Macros, close-ups yes.
    Flowers and leaves make very nice subjects, especially if you find some really colourful ones ........ I like the one your holding in your fingers the brown one........it's great experiment with Lens keep posting and thank you for sharing your work......... Skippy (Australia)
    Hello Skippy,

I stated they are extreme macros in the sense "You can't get closer than this with the 28-300 mm fixed lens of the S9000."

The purpose of this shoot was to see if the S9000 could manual focus at it's closest distance. I think it has.

If you would like to see actual flower shots, please visit my site and take a look at my other galleries.

Thanks for your comments,

Regards, Nicholas
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    Hello Skippy,

I stated they are extreme macros in the sense "You can't get closer than this with the 28-300 mm fixed lens of the S9000."

The purpose of this shoot was to see if the S9000 could manual focus at it's closest distance. I think it has.

If you would like to see actual flower shots, please visit my site and take a look at my other galleries.

Thanks for your comments,

Regards, Nicholas
    Hey Nicholas,

I understand what you're saying here but I've got a question. I'm assuming that the 28-300 lens was in a focal position at the 28mm side of the lens' operating range.

I know it wouldn't focus "physically" as close (essentially the front element of the lens) but would you have a closer "apparent" focus (higher magnification ratio) if you were to use the camera's zoom - more toward the 300mm and have the leaves etc physically farther away???

Just wondering if doing this would give you more of a macro look??

John
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• nickphoto123nickphoto123 Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    extreme macro
    Hey Nicholas,

I understand what you're saying here but I've got a question. I'm assuming that the 28-300 lens was in a focal position at the 28mm side of the lens' operating range.

I know it wouldn't focus "physically" as close (essentially the front element of the lens) but would you have a closer "apparent" focus (higher magnification ratio) if you were to use the camera's zoom - more toward the 300mm and have the leaves etc physically farther away???

Just wondering if doing this would give you more of a macro look??

John
    Hello John,

The S9000's Super Macro works only at 28mm.

Regards, Nicholasl
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2005
    Hello John,

The S9000's Super Macro works only at 28mm.

Regards, Nicholasl
    That's odd (but I believe you).

Because the results are "close focusing" but not really "extreme macro".

Anyway . . .
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen