Try again for Mountain Goats and Hummingbird

dowlingmcdowlingmc Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
edited August 5, 2012 in Wildlife
Got to spend a week in the Colorado Rockies. Got my first photos of mountain goats, a couple of shots of a cooperating hummingbird. Comments appreciated.

i-SwqmVxW-L.jpg

i-wNg9gBn-L.jpg

i-Rc5Pw2T-L.jpg

i-kSxj4rN-L.jpg

Comments

• deb22deb22 Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2012
    Very nice, Too bad those goats coats are changing but to see and get some nice shots is still exciting. That last hummer shot is great!!
    COUNTRY ROADS ARE NATURES HIGHWAY. http://dafontainewildlife.com
  • dowlingmcdowlingmc Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited July 26, 2012
    deb22 wrote: »
    Very nice, Too bad those goats coats are changing but to see and get some nice shots is still exciting. That last hummer shot is great!!

Deb

Thanks for looking in. This is the first time I have seen them in real life. Shaggy fur and all, it was a great experience getting so close. I was on a 1/2 day photo workshop, and it was one of many highpoints of the morning.

The humming bird was shot at the Betty Ford Gardens in Vail Colorado. The two shots show off shutter speed differences, one was 1/400 the last was 1/4000.

Mike
  • Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2012
    Great captures man. I love those goats. thumb.gif
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
  • GoldflakeGoldflake Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited July 28, 2012
    Beautiful..clap.gif
  • Dennis KaczorDennis Kaczor Registered Users Posts: 2,413 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2012
    Nice set of images, the first tweo are a tad over exposed and blown out, but you Humming Birds are great.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2012
    Good set and as Dennis pointed out the first two are a tad hot.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • dowlingmcdowlingmc Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2012
    All,

Thanks for the comments. Help - I went back and looked at the exposure info and at the histograms. In neither of the mountain goat photos does the histogram show bright end blowout. There was no exposure bias dialed into the photos. Where would be a good place to have the bright end of the histogram end. I have been under the impression that as long as the histogram was off the wall, that you were pretty sure of being in a good exposure area. I was/am concerned that driving the bright end in too much would muddy/dull the overall photo.

Thoughts and comments again appreciated.
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2012
    If your main subject, like the goats, are lighter that the rest of the photo and make up a relatively small portion of the photo, then you should set your camera to underexpose a bit. This is because the metering system on your camera is probably set to determine exposure by essentially "averaging" the whole photo. Most cameras let you set the preview to blink on any parts of the photo that are overexposed, so that after you take a shot, you can look at the result, and adjust exposure compensation if important areas are blinking. I run into this overexposure problem all the time shooting egrets, which are white birds usually shown in a darker background. Without exposure compensation, the birds come out too white with no detail, and the background looks fine. (As Harry has told me many, many times! Actually, until Harry pointed all this out to me, I thought 100% white and 100% black were fine colors.) One you have taken the shot, if it isn't too blown out, you can sometimes fix just the problem areas with software like NIK's "Detail Extractor" in it Coloreffex Pro software, which is an add-on to Photoshop and Lightroom.

Best, Pam