Options

Hi-res image pricing

KixxKixx Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
edited July 25, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
I've searched and haven't found an answer specific enough for me, so... here goes! :D

I've been asked if I would sell a hi-res image of one of my bridge pictures. I've had enough trouble pricing my prints! Do you use a "formula" (x) times the amount for which I'd sell a 16 x 20 or 20 x 30 print?

These images were not taken as part of a job, I just took them on 'me' time.

Comments

• Options
    GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2012
    What are they worth to you? :) what do you normally sell from each image? I do suggest limiting the file size. for example who would buy a $500 wall portrait from you if they can get the digital file for $100. So if you limit the $100 digital file to 8x10 at 150dpi then they wont be able to print a good 11x14 or larger.

For me I dont usually sell more than a few prints of a particular pose, so I charge $100 for the 8x10 large res file. Then $200 for the extra large res *original camera size*. I should take my advice and charge more for that extra large file come to think of it, or just not offer it since no one has ever bought it before.

then for commercial purposes you get to charge more. :)
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2012
    If it was a portrait I wouldn't have this question, but it's not a portrait. headscratch.gif Can't really see 20+ people wanting Uncle Jed's big head mounted above the fireplace. :D

I have a few images of the same bridge, but this is the one in question.

7641811420_acab80017e.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2012
    what is the end use going to be? If they are going to sell prints or files of your picture, make sure you charge enough so that your not giving it away. :)
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2012
    Gerry, that was my thinking as well. Who is asking and what do they intend to do? Random guy wanting a screen saver? Someone looking for a pic to use in a brochure or ad? And remember, you can always say "no" to selling the file if you want.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2012
    Here's what I sent him,

I would have to ask what you plan on doing with it, and just how hi-res you'd need.

A few reasons;
    If I do a family portrait (adult children and their children, etc.) and sell hi-res images, I risk losing print sales, so I charge more than I would for say a 16 x 20 or 20 x 30 print. Basically, they will be getting a file that they can print as many copies as they want. Even then, it's kind of limited by the amount of family members who'd actually want to see their enlarged pictures mounted somewhere in the home! With landscape, nature and architectural images, it's not quite as limited. Well, hopefully anyway. NOT saying that you would, but nothing would really stop you from printing unlimited pictures and selling them. So, I guess back to my initial question, if you'd like a few prints of differing sizes, (or something like that) I can give you a better price than if you just bought one print.
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2012
    GerryDavid wrote: »
    what is the end use going to be? If they are going to sell prints or files of your picture, make sure you charge enough so that your not giving it away. :)
    mercphoto wrote: »
    Gerry, that was my thinking as well. Who is asking and what do they intend to do? Random guy wanting a screen saver? Someone looking for a pic to use in a brochure or ad? And remember, you can always say "no" to selling the file if you want.

My thinking as well. Sometimes people might not even know what they are asking for, so I wanted to get some clarification on what he wanted to do with the file.
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2012
    UPDATE -

Potential customer only wants it for wallpaper on his computer.

Should I offer a watermarked copy of the pic as pictured above for a certain price? Or, just tell him I am not selling hi-res digital images?
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2012
    I'd put an image credit along the bottom but wouldn't plaster it across the middle. If its going to be a wallpaper keep it looking attractive. Its the whole point of wallpapers. And unless its a MacBook Retina display doubt it needs to be a full resolution file anyway. 1200 on longest side would probably suffice.

I'll tell you this, though, I have a few low-res wallpapers of my own photos and I hate looking at them. I need to dig up the high res versions and replace them. So be careful about too low a resolution.

Or, just don't sell the file.

Kixx wrote: »
    UPDATE -

Should I offer a watermarked copy of the pic as pictured above for a certain price? Or, just tell him I am not selling hi-res digital images?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    orljustinorljustin Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2012
    Kixx wrote: »
    UPDATE -

Small watermark, ask for $20.
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2012
    orljustin wrote: »
    Small watermark, ask for $20.

That's actually what I said.
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2012
    I wonder if he will actually use it for wallpaper, or if he plans to sell the wallpaper. I would use the money to register it with the govenerment and put a tracer on it. :) but im paranoid that way. :D