Options

Tethering to ipad

StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
edited July 27, 2012 in Accessories
I own a Canon 5d classic. I'd like to explore the possibility of shooting tethered to my ipad. Has anyone done this successfully? I know that I could do this with my Oly EP-1 with an EyeFi x2 card (and the EyeFi ipad app)...but with the 5d, I would need to use a CF to SD adapter. I am wondering two things: Will an adapter work well enough with the EyeFi card to be feasible? And will it work with the original 5d?

If anyone has any experience with this, I'd sure appreciate hearing about it...

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,887 moderator
    edited July 25, 2012
    I don't believe that there are any SD to CF adapters that are certified to work with Eye-Fi products. An additional factor is that many, if not most, SD to CF adapters are a little too thick, and need some surgery in order to fit properly.

The discussion of Eye-Fi and CF adapters is hosted in this thread:

[thread=133873]Thread is here.[/thread]
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    AsmundmaAsmundma Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 26, 2012
    DslrRemoteHD
    If you go via a Mac (server), you can tether to .. and control your camra from the ipad. You have to buy the iPad app.
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2012
    You can do so if you tether your camera to your computer (mac or pc) via the Canon EOS Utilities that came on the CD with your 5d.
    Then install Teamviewer (free) on your iPad and on your computer and connect to the computer from your iPad. Voila now you can control
    your camera from your iPad for free (and all other programs on your computer if you wanted to).

If you need the photos transfered to your iPad setup Dropbox (or similar) both devices and let them share a common folder. Tell the EOS
    Software to save images to that folder ... done.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2012
    Thanks, everyone! Very helpful. Ziggy, I read through the entire thread you provided....really interesting. I'll probably stay pretty low tech for now... When I've finally saved up for a newer camera, I'll try eyefi then...