Options

Google Analytics

Comments

• Options
    portellimageryportellimagery Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2005
    Okay, here is a question. On my secondary theme creating site, if I put the google code in the header or footer, I lose the themed elements where I put the code. For example, if I put it in the header, my themed header disappears. There is no cusomization on this site other than my themes. When I put it in the javascript section, everything seems to work okay. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
    Portell Imagery - Photography by Micheal Portell
    www.portellimagery.com
    Portell Imagery - The Blog blog.portellimagery.com
    Speak Up Designs www.speakupdesigns.com
    Get your Portell Imagery 2006 Photography Calendar here
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 16, 2005
    view source.

when you put something in the header and footer box, you lose #header_wrapper and #footer_wrapper
    Okay, here is a question. On my secondary theme creating site, if I put the google code in the header or footer, I lose the themed elements where I put the code. For example, if I put it in the header, my themed header disappears. There is no cusomization on this site other than my themes. When I put it in the javascript section, everything seems to work okay. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2005
    Okay thanks. I will leave it in the javascript section until I figure out how not to lose them.
    www.portellimagery.com
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2005
    For anyone interested about how long it may take new data to appear once you get your inital report, I found this....

Report data is generally updated once an hour, but data may sometimes take up to six hours to appear in your account.
    www.portellimagery.com
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 16, 2005
    just put this in your cobrand footer code with the javascript:

<div id="footer_wrapper"></div>
    Okay thanks. I will leave it in the javascript section until I figure out how not to lose them.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2005
    On a pro account, which URL do you tell Google to track, e.g.,

www.koalaplayhouse.com
    koalaplayhouse.smugmug.com

or does it matter? Thanks.
  • Options
    mbradymbrady Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2005
    pat.kane wrote:
    On a pro account, which URL do you tell Google to track, e.g.,

www.koalaplayhouse.com
    koalaplayhouse.smugmug.com

or does it matter? Thanks.
    I set mine up to track www.ruama.com, but I've found that it also catched traffic that end up in ruama.smugmug.com too, so you should be covered either way.
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2005
    So I'm getting some data now too and am amazed at the variety of reports that Analytics offers (most of which I have no use for since I'm not really running a business, I'm just curious about the traffic).

However, Analytics seems to be missing the main report I look at with StatCounter, and that's the Visitor Paths reports. I like to see who has hit my site and the path they take (which photos and galleries they go to - with handy clickable URLs so I can up what page they were looking at). Google Analytics doesn't seem to have anything like that report, which is very disappointing. Either that or I just missed it, but I'm pretty sure I looked at every report. Oh well...
  • Options
    cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2005
    So.....what am I doing wrong??? I put it in the header, then in the footer and then in the javascript portion but tracking still says unknown. What gives? Did you guys have to modify your code??
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2005
    Cw,
    I didn't have to modify the code. I only needed to add something to my michealportellsite to avoid losing my theme footers (thanks Bigwebguy thumb.gif) On my portellimagery site, I just placed it in the footer and away I went. Sorry to hear you are having problems.

Micheal
    www.portellimagery.com
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2005
    cwphotos wrote:
    So.....what am I doing wrong??? I put it in the header, then in the footer and then in the javascript portion but tracking still says unknown. What gives? Did you guys have to modify your code??
    I didn't have to do anything out of the ordinary. I pasted the Google code into my Footer section right after the StatCounter script that was already there. I have no further custom HTML or scripts after the Google Analytics code, but it doesn't seem like that would matter.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2005
    freaking finally I've got stats. Actually maybe I did before, my main page still says waiting for data even though I've got a ton of stats. So far it's really great.

I'm thinking this thread should be moved to MYOB...
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2005
    So I moved it.

• Options
    edited November 16, 2005
    cwphotos wrote:
    I'm not getting any loving from Google either. I thought maybe I just needed to give it time to kick in, but several hours later I'm getting "Tracking Unknown -- The Google Analytics tracking code has not been detected on your website's home page."

The code is there. I'll just let it sit for another day to see if anything happens.
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2005
    mbrady wrote:
    I set mine up to track www.ruama.com, but I've found that it also catched traffic that end up in ruama.smugmug.com too, so you should be covered either way.
    Thanks! It's not working for me yet, but at least I know it isn't attributable to this.
  • Options
    dbooth80dbooth80 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited November 16, 2005
    pat.kane wrote:
    I'm not getting any loving from Google either. I thought maybe I just needed to give it time to kick in, but several hours later I'm getting "Tracking Unknown -- The Google Analytics tracking code has not been detected on your website's home page."

The code is there. I'll just let it sit for another day to see if anything happens.
    Mine said the same thing for a while. Just give it some time and it will probably work itself out.
  • Options
    blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2005
    I've pasted the code into both my header and footer with now luck. Anyone know whats up and why google can't find it?
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2005
    I've pasted the code into both my header and footer with now luck. Anyone know whats up and why google can't find it?
    It's not in both your header and footer at the same time right?

• Options
    edited November 16, 2005
    Mike Lane wrote:
    It's not in both your header and footer at the same time right?
    Right, tried on both, the header and the footer and neither one of them would work.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2005
    Do you need to sep up goals?
    I put the script into SM footer section and also into S*E header section (according to their spec). None of them generated any single hit so far, and both show "unconfirmed" status..ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2005
    Hrm...

I'm looking at my daily stats and they were going strong until around 1400 yesterday and then they flatlined to 0.

I get about 1300 to 1400 hits a day so I know that isn't fo' realz yo.

Happend on my blog too (the blog's got the code where google says to put it). So far not very good I have to say.

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2005
    Initially I started with statcounter because of the 100 log, but moved to StatsSheet because they would give you 10,000 log.
    As google is not yet working and has no visitor paths like Statcounter has I had a look at StatsSheet. Looks quite good and it seems to be very similar to Statcounter.
    One thing bugs me though - it doesn't seem to have the blocking cookie feature where you can create a cookie on your browser and it will not log the visits from it independently from the IP. Very useful for me as I'm on a dynamic IP ISP.
    Are you on a static IP or how do you deal with the problem of your own management visits in combination with StatsSheet?

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2005
    Well I'm not sure what happened, but I left both for about 12 hours came back and it had verified itself so both my SM and my blog are being counted now.
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2005
    As google is not yet working and has no visitor paths like Statcounter has I had a look at StatsSheet. Looks quite good and it seems to be very similar to Statcounter.
    One thing bugs me though - it doesn't seem to have the blocking cookie feature where you can create a cookie on your browser and it will not log the visits from it independently from the IP. Very useful for me as I'm on a dynamic IP ISP.
    I agree that the missing visitor path and blocking cookies are big missing features. I sent off a note to them about adding a visitor path feature.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2005
    Does this work for anyone?
    mbrady wrote:
    I agree that the missing visitor path and blocking cookies are big missing features. I sent off a note to them about adding a visitor path feature.
    Is Google analytics actually working for anyone yet? I installed on Tuesday and still no data of any kind. It still has the message about waiting 12 hours.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited November 18, 2005
    jfriend wrote:
    Is Google analytics actually working for anyone yet? I installed on Tuesday and still no data of any kind. It still has the message about waiting 12 hours.
    John,

It may be working for you. Ignore the waiting for data and waiting 12 hours messages and just click on View Reports. I have been seeing reports for several days but the "waiting" messages have not gone away.

Hope this works for you as well.

Cheers,
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2005
    I put the Google code in last night and it still tells me

"Tracking Unknown
    The Google Analytics tracking code has not been detected on your website's home page. For Analytics to function, you or your web administrator must add the code to each page of your website. "

Did anyone else have this and it then started working, or do I need to do something different? When I view the source of jimmitte.smugmug.com I see the google code.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2005
    jfriend wrote:
    Still seems like it's very bogged down. Since Tuesday, my log data has only been updated twice (the first report took almost 2 days to appear).
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2005
    I just got my first report... less than 24 hours. Though, the main page still tells me there is no data, when I click on the report there is.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    KeithHKeithH Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    Waiting List
    Google has created a waiting list now to sign up for this new service. It must really be getting bogged down. I guess that accounts for some of the trouble people have been having.