Options

Work flow for newspaper Sports newspaper photographers??

photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
edited August 23, 2012 in Sports
I will be taking sports photographs for our local newspaper for the upcoming High School sports season. What work flow works best keeping in mind deadlines and the possibility of scrambling for the closet wifi hotspot to meet them?

Comments

• Options
    KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2012
    The first step for me is to ingest the image files into PhotoMechanic where I select the ones that will ultimately be FTPed to my client.

Prior to uploading, I caption each image, again using PhotoMechanic. Then I use Lightroom or Photoshop to do any processing that might be required (cropping, sharpening, etc).

During a typical halftime of a college game, I can use this workflow to process and FTP 10-15 shots.

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2012
    KMCC wrote: »
    The first step for me is to ingest the image files into PhotoMechanic where I select the ones that will ultimately be FTPed to my client.

Prior to uploading, I caption each image, again using PhotoMechanic. Then I use Lightroom or Photoshop to do any processing that might be required (cropping, sharpening, etc).

During a typical halftime of a college game, I can use this workflow to process and FTP 10-15 shots.

Where within PhotoMechanic do you go to edit the photos using LightRoom or Photoshop?
  • Options
    xchangxxchangx Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited July 30, 2012
    photodad1 wrote: »
    Where within PhotoMechanic do you go to edit the photos using LightRoom or Photoshop?

There are a few ways you can do it. You'll need to go to the preferences and setup one program to be the editor.

Here's my workflow:
    1) Chimp on the field (lock the photos I want to send)
    2) Ingest into Photomechanic (copying only the locked files and applying the IPTC template in the process)
    3) Quickly look at the shots and make sure they are sharp and in focus.
    4) Select all and right click to Edit (there's a keyboard command that escapes me right now).
    5) Doing #4 for me brings up Lightroom's import window.
    6) Import the files, do any quick edits, crops, etc and export to a separate folder as JPGs.
    7) Open the folder with exported JPGs in Photomechanic and caption and transmit.
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2012

Editing is not done within PhotoMechanic. After selecting and captioning in PhotoMechanic the saved files are opened in Photoshop or Lightroom.

Kent
    Web site
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2012
    Do you recommend anything that I can do ahead of time in PhotoMechanic to make my workflow smoother and faster? Since I'll be photographing High School sports, I really won't know the rosters until just before game time. With this, do you take photos of the rosters?
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2012
    Do you recommend anything that I can do ahead of time in PhotoMechanic to make my workflow smoother and faster? Since I'll be photographing High School sports, I really won't know the rosters until just before game time. With this, do you take photos of the rosters?

You can use the PhotoMechanic Code Replacement feature to speed up the captioning process, but as you say you'll need rosters. In my experience, most high school teams have their rosters posted on their web sites.

Kent
    Web site
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2012
    You can use the PhotoMechanic Code Replacement feature to speed up the captioning process, but as you say you'll need rosters. In my experience, most high school teams have their rosters posted on their web sites.

The highschools in my area are horrible about rosters online. I normally go up to the press box before the game and take a picture of their roster book. That way I can compare what they have on their website vs what they have at the game.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2012
    For football games, where do you go to send your game photos? Press box? Car?
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2012
    One important question to ask your newspaper is when they want the shots? Do you need to submit live? within an hour after the end of the game? This will affect your workflow.

My workflow is similar to the above: Ingest (photomechanic), cull and caption (photomechanic), --> Lightroom for editing and converting to jpeg-->Rename and FTP (photomechanic).
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2012
    For football games, where do you go to send your game photos? Press box? Car?

Depends on the deadline. If I have enough time to make it home or somewhere I can get comfortable to work, I'll go there. Otherwise (for high school) it's in my car.
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2012
    Photomechanic to select top pics, then to edit ITPC with code replacements (assuming I have the data), Rated images dropped into PS for editing, saved the FTP'd to the Sun-Times FTP server.

Using either cell phone tethering, cell hot spot, school or McDonalds/Starbucks where necessary.
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2012
    Which application do you recommend for editing? Lightroom or Photoshop? Is one faster loading then the other?
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2012
    I'm not a photoshop user (but learning because of Getty). I normally use lightroom to do quick edits, but it keeps getting slower and slower so I may begin just using photoshop.
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2012
    there is no one way to do it. Whatever workflow you are comfortable with and can turn out photos quickly will be fine.
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2012
    xchangx wrote: »
    there is no one way to do it. Whatever workflow you are comfortable with and can turn out photos quickly will be fine.
    Good point!
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2012
    When I go to edit in Lightroom and make my changes, how do you save it back into Photomechanic?
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2012
    When I go to edit in Lightroom and make my changes, how do you save it back into Photomechanic?

Post-processing in Lightroom or Photoshop is independent from PhotoMechanic. PhotoMechanic is just a program that allows you to view and manipulate image files, arrange and caption them, and append metadata to the files (among other things).

There is no unique file PhotoMechanic file type. Just use it to access any image file, pre- or post-processed.

Kent
    Web site
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2012
    Post-processing in Lightroom or Photoshop is independent from PhotoMechanic. PhotoMechanic is just a program that allows you to view and manipulate image files, arrange and caption them, and append metadata to the files (among other things).

There is no unique file PhotoMechanic file type. Just use it to access any image file, pre- or post-processed.

When I want to edit a photo in Photomechanical I right click and click on edit and it takes me to Lightroom. From there I edit but how do I save it?
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2012
    When I want to edit a photo in Photomechanical I right click and click on edit and it takes me to Lightroom. From there I edit but how do I save it?

Lightroom is non-destructive, meaning that all changes are reversible and thus there is no actual 'save' function for an imported photo. To save you have to use the export function to make a new file. I use this opportunity to choose the appropriate file size. And anyway, since I shoot RAW I need to convert...

But maybe you are asking how you get the exported file back in Photo Mechanic?? One system is to have PM monitor the folder to which I write the exported photos. Other options are to just drag the folder into a new PM contact sheet, or just FTP after export. Normally I do not use PM after I do the final edit and conversion to jpeg; they're ready to be FTP'd.
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2012
    xchangx wrote: »
    I'm not a photoshop user (but learning because of Getty). I normally use lightroom to do quick edits, but it keeps getting slower and slower so I may begin just using photoshop.

Funny you should say that, as I am noticing the same thing. I was just playing around last night with batch editing in PS--something I have not really done before--because LR is really slow. Do you see an improvement in PS over LR?
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2012
    jhefti wrote: »
    Funny you should say that, as I am noticing the same thing. I was just playing around last night with batch editing in PS--something I have not really done before--because LR is really slow. Do you see an improvement in PS over LR?

I haven't figured out batch editing in PS yet. They call that actions, right?

For the most part, obviously I can do everything I do in LR with PS, but I just need to keep doing it to get used to it and speed up my process.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2012
    Is the editing faster in PS then LR?
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2012
    Is the editing faster in PS then LR?

I've never done batch editing in PS, only in LR, but it's hard to imagine that PS is faster. PS is really designed to let the editor fuss over a single picture; LR is designed more for quick edits of a lot of shots, and to organise them. It does this reasonably well, but when I need to edit 80-100 shots while shooting live at a game, it can get pretty slow.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2012
    If you do not have any photos that you want to edit. How do you change the size of the photo in Photo Mechanic so the photo is 1-2 MBs when you want to FTP?
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2012
    If you do not have any photos that you want to edit. How do you change the size of the photo in Photo Mechanic so the photo is 1-2 MBs when you want to FTP?

There are several options for that... From the 'File' tab of the toolbar, you can use the 'Save As' function and specify a size and quality; you can use the 'Export' function, and you can specify size when you FTP them.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2012
    Great info. Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2012
    What FTP application works well with Windows and MAC?
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2012
    What FTP application works well with Windows and MAC?

FileZilla works fine and is freeware. Photo Mechanic also has an FTP feature.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2012
    Is FileZilla for both MAC and Windows 7? Is it easy to use?
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2012
    I'll be taking photos of a high school football game this Friday night and the editor wants two photos during half time. Any suggestions on works the best in regards to internet connection? I have an iPhone 4S and might just turn on the hotspot and use with my laptop. The other option is to get an USB air card. Any suggestions?