Canon 7d Button Problem

Big RedBig Red Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
edited August 1, 2012 in Cameras
I am hoping someone can help me. Today I went to use my Canon 7D and pushed the playback to view some photos I had taken. I wanted to zoom in so I pressed the magnifying glass button and nothing happened. I have tried multiple times and it just seems dead. I then tried to push the same button to take a photo, selecting the AF point. Nothing happened again. It seems that the button has simply stopped working. Am I missing a setting somewhere or could this button simply have quit working?

Thanks

Big Red

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,068 moderator
    edited July 28, 2012
    If everything else on the camera is working properly then, yes, buttons occasionally fail. I would try to reset the camera body first to see if that has a positive effect on the problem.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Big RedBig Red Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2012
    Thanks Ziggy. Anyone have an idea of what Canon may charge for such a repair? any idea what an overall "servicing" of a 7D may cost? I am also having to send in my 70-200 2.8 as the barrel is loose. When it rains it pours I guess.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,068 moderator
    edited July 29, 2012
    Canon will give you an estimate after they receive the body and examine the body. You will have the option to accept or reject the offer before they start the repairs. Actual costs will depend on what is wrong. (It could be a switch or it could be a control circuit, for instance.) They cannot estimate costs before they see the camera, and neither can anyone else.

Clean, Lubricate and Adjust (CLA) should be a fixed cost that they can quote you.

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/form_display/sup_by_email
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • FreezframeFreezframe Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2012
    Not convinced you have a problem!
    Have you tried it with other CF cards. Narrow down every avenue before sending it for repair because, it could be something very simple such as a bad connection. I know this sounds off the chart but, it could very well be low battery power. Do everything including removing your batteries and reinserting them or putting in a fully charged battery. Make sure you dial is not between modes etc. I know some would say it wouldn't work at all but you may be surprised otherwise. Was it hot outside or was it sitting in the sun. You may be surprised when it works an hour later.

I got my fingers crossed for ya!

Brady
    Dad/Photograher:ivar
    edited July 29, 2012
    Thanks Freezeframe. I will try those things. I did remove both my batteries (external grip) for an extended period of time but no luck. Both batteries are very low on power. I will charge them. The camera has been sitting safely on my desk for al least a week so no heat or sun. I have switched modes with no luck.
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2012
    Have your girl friend sew you a new button on your camera.
    edited July 30, 2012
    I see ther is a new firmware update!
    Big Red wrote: »
    Thanks Freezeframe. I will try those things. I did remove both my batteries (external grip) for an extended period of time but no luck. Both batteries are very low on power. I will charge them. The camera has been sitting safely on my desk for al least a week so no heat or sun. I have switched modes with no luck.

Have you done an upgrade lately! Sometimes they're full of bugs. I'll keep searching and contact my friend at Canon Canada repair to see if there is numerous problems of this sort. Meanwhile I'll knock wood that this problem keeps its distance from me.headscratch.gif

Brady
    edited July 30, 2012
    Total reset!
    Freezframe wrote: »
    Have you done an upgrade lately! Sometimes they're full of bugs. I'll keep searching and contact my friend at Canon Canada repair to see if there is numerous problems of this sort. Meanwhile I'll knock wood that this problem keeps its distance from me.headscratch.gif

Brady

G was on holidays so I spoke with his partner in crime. As of right now he recalls no problems of this sort. D suggested doing a reset back to manufacturer settings along with all your custom functions. He told me that about 60% of the problems are fixed in this matter. Other than that he asked question such as does the button feel different than any other or is it depressed or sitting lower than its adjacent partner button.

I noted you saying that you had a grip attached to the body so the obvious question was the button on the grip behaving in a similar manner. Have you tried removing the grip and operating the zoom button on the body to eliminate a conflict between the two buttons.

Good luck: Brady
    edited August 1, 2012
    Update:
    First of all Brady (Freezframe), great name. My 14 yr. old son is named Brady also.

I followed the steps each of you suggested (except the firmware update yet). I charged the batteries, disconnected the battery grip, reset settings, etc.. Those did not work (apparently). The last thing I tested was the magnify button on the battery grip. It worked fine so i decided to try the button on the camera again and this time is worked and has worked since. If that was the fix or if it was everything combined I don't know but I know you guys saved me some money.

Thanks again

Jeff
    edited August 1, 2012
    Glad to hear it!
    Big Red wrote: »
    Update:
    First of all Brady (Freezframe), great name. My 14 yr. old son is named Brady also.

I followed the steps each of you suggested (except the firmware update yet). I charged the batteries, disconnected the battery grip, reset settings, etc.. Those did not work (apparently). The last thing I tested was the magnify button on the battery grip. It worked fine so i decided to try the button on the camera again and this time is worked and has worked since. If that was the fix or if it was everything combined I don't know but I know you guys saved me some money.

Thanks again

Jeff

A lot of people dislike grips all together. Now myself I us them even with there added weight they do help with my bad shoulders when shooting in portrait.

Now all that crap aside is your grip an off brand or a Canon OEM? It sure sounds from your remedy that there was a conflict between the two. It is more likely with an off brand than a Canon product! It could also be that this problem may never arise again.

Glad to help out!

Brady

P.S- I lived in Burbank, Riverside, and Glendora until I was 9 years in 1969 before moving back to Canada. I still remember catching lizards and riding our mini bikes like it was yesterday.