CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
edited August 2, 2012 in Landscapes
Criticism is always welcome.

Ruin-jpg-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2012
    Don, ny any chance is this Chaco Canyon. If so how did you enjoy the ride in! :Don

Don

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2012
    No, Don, this is at Wupatki in northern AZ. Although Chaco Canyon is on my list, if I ever get brave enough and have the time.
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2012
    Cornflake wrote: »
    No, Don, this is at Wupatki in northern AZ. Although Chaco Canyon is on my list, if I ever get brave enough and have the time.
    Okay, I was there in 1992. I was just at Chaco last May. Well worth the effort. Save it for Fall or Spring though and spend a few days to make the drive in and out worth it! thumb.gif.

Lovely image. We drove around the Wupatki area this time when in Flagstaff and at the Grand Canyon and Page.

Take care,
    Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2012
    Don- very nice composition on this. Looks like you had good timing on lack of visitors too.

Nicely done.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2012
    Very nice light and exposure ( I 'believe' it ;). once I start looking at the gravel in front though, I keep looking at it instead of the rocks or the ruin. I like the mirroring in the erosion of the rocks in front, but overall I think I'd like this better as a panoramic cropped above the gravel (or just below the plant, minimizing the gravel), it's just too distracting for me.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2012
    "I 'believe' it."

The highest compliment. Thanks!

"once I start looking at the gravel in front though, I keep looking at it instead of the rocks or the ruin."

I wondered about that but maybe I got inured to it while processing. It would be easy to take the bright rocks down some. I erred on the side of minimal processing...didn't want to give this one any cosmetic surgery. Thanks for the feedback.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2012
    I really like the capture but think the processing is a little flat. I hope you don't mind.......here is how I see the image after some processing.

Sam
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2012
    Sam, I don't mind, and thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to see what you did on my calibrated monitor at home to check the difference in processing (beyond the obvious crop).
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2012
    FWIW I really like the original comp/crop - the foreground adds dimension and depth and avoids the (over) compression of the edit crop. I do like the extra punch of Sam's process.
    Nice Image!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2012
    Earache wrote: »
    FWIW I really like the original comp/crop - the foreground adds dimension and depth and avoids the (over) compression of the edit crop. I do like the extra punch of Sam's process.
    Nice Image!

Yeah, that's a lot tighter of a crop than I'd have tried. I wouldn't take any off the sides, just the bottom below the plant in the gravel.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2012
    Sam, if you happen to check this thread again, I can tell that you lightened the shadows on the ruin. Can you tell me what else you did, in general terms?
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2012
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Sam, if you happen to check this thread again, I can tell that you lightened the shadows on the ruin. Can you tell me what else you did, in general terms?

Basically I masked off the lower section and lowered the exposure, increased contrast, may have tweaked the curves.

I adjusted the curves for the ruin and sky.

I think the image capture is nice, but the image processing left it flat. The crop could easily been more of a 1 to 2 ratio with the lower prtion being reduced.

That's pretty much it.

Sam
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2012
    Thanks very much. As much as I've worked on processing, it's still not my strength.
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2012
    Apologies for bumping my own thread, but I paid attention to the comments and revised the image. It will probably still seem a little flat to some but I'm pretty conservative in processing landscape shots. Thanks for all the help.

Ruin-cropped-jpg-XL.jpg
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2012
    I like the second one thumb.gif
  • Options
    jaharris1001jaharris1001 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2012
    I like the second posting that you did too,, I prefer your crop more so then Sams, no offense Sam thumb.gif I like the addition of the small bush on the left side of frame :D
    "I'm growing older,, but not up"
    Jimmy Buffet
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2012
    I agree the second is substantially better and your crop is better / nicer than my example.

Sam
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2012
    Mary, jaharris, thanks very much. Sam, thanks for the helpful advice.