Aperture Priority and 5DMKII

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited July 30, 2012 in Cameras
I thought I'd give Aperture Priority a whirl since I'm always shooting in Manual mode. My son and I went out last night to shoot and he was using my 40D. We were both taking photos using the AV mode, but my photos were way too dark while his looked really good.

When I got home I did a google search on why this was happening and found this thread. It mentioned that he too had the same problem and he disabled his Highlight Priority. I checked my camera and that is disabled. Also mentioned was the Auto Light Optimizer. I checked that too on my camera and it's set at standard. I did not disable it because in my reading I see it can effect noise levels.

Any suggestions? Anyone else have this problem with the 5DMKII? I just don't want to start disabling things and pushing buttons. Knowing me I could really mess things up :D

Comments

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2012
    Dogdots wrote: »
    I thought I'd give Aperture Priority a whirl since I'm always shooting in Manual mode. My son and I went out last night to shoot and he was using my 40D. We were both taking photos using the AV mode, but my photos were way too dark while his looked really good.

When I got home I did a google search on why this was happening and found this thread. It mentioned that he too had the same problem and he disabled his Highlight Priority. I checked my camera and that is disabled. Also mentioned was the Auto Light Optimizer. I checked that too on my camera and it's set at standard. I did not disable it because in my reading I see it can effect noise levels.

Any suggestions? Anyone else have this problem with the 5DMKII? I just don't want to start disabling things and pushing buttons. Knowing me I could really mess things up :D

Hi Mary!

Since you've been shooting in manual mode and now have switched to AV, an easy mistake is to have accidentally dialed in some negative EV compensation with the rear control dial. Check that out to see if you've done that.

That's my guess...
    Randy
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 30, 2012
    Hey Mary, the first thing that comes to mind is that you may have been up against the 30 second maximum exposure design of the camera. Quite often for night shots, especially if they're low ISO, you need to use bulb mode to get the length exposure you need. Easiest way to tell is go back and look at the exposure length of your pictures that are too dark. If they're 30 seconds long, then that was your problem.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2012
    Howdy kdog and Randy ...

I thought I'd just attach a photo of what is going on setting wise. These photos were taking from the car through the front window .. only one last night taken through a window. All others were taken outside, but same issue. We had just gotten in the car .. thank goodness .. when this grain truck came rolling down the road. We both took a shot for the heck of it and this is when I noticed it wasn't going to be fun shooting in AV mode :cry All my photos had this grayish tinge to it.

Randy if I dialed in something .. do I just dial out :D I know that's a dumb question to ask, but when I dial things go wacky rolleyes1.gif

kdog .. I was hand holding all evening. No long exposures.

i-rKMf8vv-XL.jpg

Here is a photo I took outside along with the info.

i-mLLwwRb-XL.jpg
    edited July 30, 2012
    Here's the first screen capture again .. bigger this time so you can read the settings ..

i-3Q5VMH5-XL.jpg

Crap .. not bigger. If you need it bigger let me know and I'll redo again :)
    edited July 30, 2012
    Made it bigger anyway .. Wanted to make sure you could see the settings.

i-v2dNZS3-XL.jpg
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2012
    Randy got it right.

It's not the camera, but user error. Negative EV compensation

Actually, both images had negative compensation, but your image had more.
    i-JD4NfDZ-X2.jpg

I think anyone who has shot AV has done this before....
    edited July 30, 2012
    I'm very happy to know it's user error :D That I can correct :D

Went out just awhile ago and did some setting changes and all is good thumb.gif Now my next question would be .... When in Av mode which settings does one usually change?
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2012
    When in Av mode which settings does one usually change?

Aperture (surprise!), ISO, and exposure compensation. The rest I take care of in the raw converter (DPP for me).
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,068 moderator
    edited July 30, 2012
    ... When in Av mode which settings does one usually change?

In Av mode I generally start with Evaluative metering and then temper that with EC adjustments based upon subject, scene and RGB histogram results.

Center Weighted Averaging metering mode can help with situations where the subject and scene illuminations vary dramatically. Spot metering can help in extreme situations of light and dark, although I mostly recommend that mode in conjunction with manual exposure mode.

Be aware of the subject and scene, and that the exposure meter system is designed around an "average gray". The metering and exposure system cannot be aware of your intentions for the subject and scene. You, the camera operator, have to use your goals for the subject and scene, along with your knowledge of the camera's metering and exposure systems, to guide the camera into doing your bidding in the capture.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited July 30, 2012
    Aperture (surprise!), ISO, and exposure compensation. The rest I take care of in the raw converter (DPP for me).

Thanks .. I got the first one :D but wasn't sure about the other 2 since I messed up.
    edited July 30, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    In Av mode I generally start with Evaluative metering and then temper that with EC adjustments based upon subject, scene and RGB histogram results.

Center Weighted Averaging metering mode can help with situations where the subject and scene illuminations vary dramatically. Spot metering can help in extreme situations of light and dark, although I mostly recommend that mode in conjunction with manual exposure mode.

Be aware of the subject and scene, and that the exposure meter system is designed around an "average gray". The metering and exposure system cannot be aware of your intentions for the subject and scene. You, the camera operator, have to use your goals for the subject and scene, along with your knowledge of the camera's metering and exposure systems, to guide the camera into doing your bidding in the capture.

Thank you Ziggy ... I'll remember this info you just passed along. Also I'll do some reading up on the capabilities of the 5DMKii. Then I'll do some work on mine :D