Comments

• TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2012
    That's sikh.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2012
    I like the shot. Two comments though. First the capture feels too tight on the righthand side. Not sure if there's anything you could have done about it. Second the eyes are too dark. It could be from having increased general contrast? Maybe lift shadows a little or dodge the eyes. I want to make contact with these dudes.
  • lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2012
    michswiss wrote: »
    I like the shot. Two comments though. First the capture feels too tight on the righthand side. Not sure if there's anything you could have done about it. Second the eyes are too dark. It could be from having increased general contrast? Maybe lift shadows a little or dodge the eyes. I want to make contact with these dudes.

Thank you Michswiss ! Does this improve anything ?

i-hHNZBQk-L.jpg
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2012
    better to me
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2012
    The contrast definitely is better. But there still are two issues: the first is the tightness on the right; the second is the wracked off hands of one man, fingers of the other. The result is what looks like a grab, rather than a careful group portrait of some men with great faces.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    edited August 1, 2012
    Thank you all for the views and taking the time to comment .
    I appreciate the points that have been made regarding the hands,contrast and tightness , I was excited,nervous and surprised by them allowing me to make this image. I am glad to have learned something from this experience .thumb.gif
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2012
    I'm not one to give a lot of advice, but an internal mantra might help with some of the compositional issues in this shot. I've noticed in myself and many others is that we tend to place the subjects along the mid-line of the horizon in the shot. There's a lot of wasted space in the top half of the frame. You might want to remind yourself when composing to "point down" or lower the camera a little. I'm guessing that, and a half-step back and right would have nailed it.

The other thing I learned when studying music is no one in the audience knows how long a pause or a rest was meant to be. Take your time, take a breath, think it through. Your subjects won't know there's a whirlwind going on in your head as you dial in exposure and composition. They'll just here a little banter from you and a couple of clicks.
    edited August 1, 2012
    michswiss wrote: »
    I'm not one to give a lot of advice, but an internal mantra might help with some of the compositional issues in this shot. I've noticed in myself and many others is that we tend to place the subjects along the mid-line of the horizon in the shot. There's a lot of wasted space in the top half of the frame. You might want to remind yourself when composing to "point down" or lower the camera a little. I'm guessing that, and a half-step back and right would have nailed it.

The other thing I learned when studying music is no one in the audience knows how long a pause or a rest was meant to be. Take your time, take a breath, think it through. Your subjects won't know there's a whirlwind going on in your head as you dial in exposure and composition. They'll just here a little banter from you and a couple of clicks.

Your guess is bang on the money. Thank you for your valuable input !