Options

Single photoshoot- girl, need opinions on the photos

nalwadenalwade Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited August 1, 2012 in People
Seriously, let me know EVERYTHING I could have done to improve how these photos came out. I know I'm not very good with jawlines, I just started researching more about that and Peter Hurley's videos have helped a lot, but just please let me know! I can take constructive criticism very well!

Here they are on smugmug: http://nalwadephotography.smugmug.com/Portraits/Nicole-Wade-Photography/24477657_Wbsxvh#!i=1997250990&k=p9S8WRr

1. 14cr6dl.jpg

2. 2uf6aa0.jpg

3. v4yykx.jpg

4. 9788b7.jpg

5. 2m3i5p1.jpg

6. 214cgpe.jpg

7. 30hor9l.jpg

8. 2ed2nn6.jpg

Comments

• Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2012
    red "x" for me..I think you need to enable sharing for the gallery or something if you are using smugmug?
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2012
    lilmomma wrote: »
    red "x" for me..I think you need to enable sharing for the gallery or something if you are using smugmug?

Argh. I posted the link for smugmug and the pictures show when I view this post. I'll try and figure it out :o
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2012

I just set it to family view on and friends view on, not sure if that could be the problem :o
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2012
    What I notice is that you have a problem with the light. Some shots have an underexposed model with a good background. The best you can do is use a reflection screen or flash unit and use it to create a subtile light on de model itself.

The best is not to work in full sunlight as the light is always harsh, wait for the evening sun or early morning sun
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2012
    The female isn't really lit well in any of these images. She doesn't stand out in anyway from the rest of the picture, which is primarily caused by light, but also my a fairly large depth of field. As D3S said, in harsh sunlight, you really need a reflector (or a diffusion device might work) to bring light on to her face. But, you need to understand where the light should be, which is something you appear to be missing here.

#2 Doesn't really make sense with its background/setting in my opinion. Maybe in a studio.

#4 is a pretty unflattering pose. It might be interesting had this not been among the other images here, but in this case, whatever you were going for didn't work out.

In #8, which at least has some light on the subject, the focal point appears to be off the hands and somewhere else entirely.

Looking at the gallery, you have a few B&Ws there. What's the point? Is it necessary for every gallery with a few people shots to have a couple of desaturated images?

On the upside, your compositions are fundamentally right, and if you included #4 because of it's interesting look, you have an eye for good imagery...the image is just out of place in this set.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2012
    forget jaw lines..1st and foremeost look at the light hitting your subject. It is either dappled by the trees, underexposed or has harsh shadows or all 3. fix that 1st. (find some shade, use fill flash, expose correctly)
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2012
    I don't have anything to add that hasn't been said...lighting is KEY! keep practicing!
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2012
    D3Sshooter wrote: »
    What I notice is that you have a problem with the light. Some shots have an underexposed model with a good background. The best you can do is use a reflection screen or flash unit and use it to create a subtile light on de model itself.

The best is not to work in full sunlight as the light is always harsh, wait for the evening sun or early morning sun

Thank you, I will keep that in mind! I've only had my camera for a couple weeks now and am still getting the hang of things, I will definitely get a reflector or use flash next time I'm batteling with the sun like that lol.
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2012
    I don't have anything to add that hasn't been said...lighting is KEY! keep practicing!

I will :)
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2012
    Qarik wrote: »
    forget jaw lines..1st and foremeost look at the light hitting your subject. It is either dappled by the trees, underexposed or has harsh shadows or all 3. fix that 1st. (find some shade, use fill flash, expose correctly)

Thank you! I wasn't using my flash at ALL. And it was at like 2pm, when the sun was at it's strongest. I will keep in mind to find shade, use a reflector, so on so forth :)
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2012
    Quincy T wrote: »
    The female isn't really lit well in any of these images. She doesn't stand out in anyway from the rest of the picture, which is primarily caused by light, but also my a fairly large depth of field. As D3S said, in harsh sunlight, you really need a reflector (or a diffusion device might work) to bring light on to her face. But, you need to understand where the light should be, which is something you appear to be missing here.

#2 Doesn't really make sense with its background/setting in my opinion. Maybe in a studio.

#4 is a pretty unflattering pose. It might be interesting had this not been among the other images here, but in this case, whatever you were going for didn't work out.

In #8, which at least has some light on the subject, the focal point appears to be off the hands and somewhere else entirely.

Looking at the gallery, you have a few B&Ws there. What's the point? Is it necessary for every gallery with a few people shots to have a couple of desaturated images?

On the upside, your compositions are fundamentally right, and if you included #4 because of it's interesting look, you have an eye for good imagery...the image is just out of place in this set.

I will keep all of that in mind! This was my first time taking someone elses pictures, I was experimenting so I really needed all of this input! I've only had my camera for like 3 weeks now so I'm still figuring it all out. But now I know I really have to focus on getting the lighting correct in my pictures.
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2012
    nalwade wrote: »
    I will keep all of that in mind! This was my first time taking someone elses pictures, I was experimenting so I really needed all of this input! I've only had my camera for like 3 weeks now so I'm still figuring it all out. But now I know I really have to focus on getting the lighting correct in my pictures.

Buy this book and read it thoroughly:

Click here...Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2012
    Thanks!!:D