H2O ideas - need feedback

kentwallerkentwaller Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
edited August 3, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
here are a few shots i am considering from a series ahot a few nights ago - i would appreciate your thoughts on which one i should go with :)

fountain 1: f/20, 30sec, iso200, 10mm
IMG9973Localtone-M.jpg

fountain 2: f/11, 20sec, iso200, 28mm
IMG9969Localtone-M.jpg

fountain 3: f/20, 30sec, iso200, 10mm
IMG9978Localtone-M.jpg

fountain 4: f/22, 10sec, iso200, 13mm
IMG99812Localtone-M.jpg

reflecting pool: f/18, 30sec, iso200, 24mm
IMG9989Localtone-M.jpg

Comments

• rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2012
    lovely set...clap.gif
    2 is great, as is 4 and the reflecting pool...
    On 3, the statue on the pillar being cut off bothers me.
    Can 4 be straightened the tiniest bit, can the statue on the top of the building not be cropped??
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2012
    I like #1 for its limited range of colors--it's not as distracting as the ones with more color. I love the detail in the stone, and the water is just lovely.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,959 moderator
    edited July 31, 2012
    Lovely series! I agree with Kate about #1. I like the way you composed and processed this shot, showing us a beautiful fountain while letting the water take center stage.
  • red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2012
    For this competition, I like # 4 and then # 2... those say "water" to me most. The stuttgart schlossplatz is a wonderful fountain.

negatives: #3 has an unacceptable ammount of color noise in the blue fields, and even in the detail... reflection is a good shot, but does not feature water as the main subject. #1 is very busy, but I like the limited tones.

positives: #2 emphasizes the water aspect more than the building aspect, and has a nice depth of focus. #4 has the best composition while still emphasizing water over the architectural aspects of the shot.

Overall, I wish for a lower ISO in all your shots. A wider aperture and lower ISO would keep the same shutter speed and lower the depth of focus, putting the background buildings out of focus and further highlighting the water. For this you would need a tripod, however.

Great compositions and shots overall, I also love taking photos of water features at night (our memorials in DC have lots of water features) and would love to have the opportunity to shoot photos at some of the places I've only seen once, and during the daytime.
    thanks all so much for your most thoughtful inputs! Trish I am going to edit those two just as you suggest, but probably leaning towards 1 or 2 in any case. Thank you Kate and Gretchen for validation of #1 - I think the water seems to come out oddly enough even without the color - why is that? Jake - you are right about #3 - too much noise! Not exactly sure why though - this was a 30sec exposure at ISO 200 and f/20. I will post the exif for all the shots here in a minute next to the title. Tripod was used - had to fend off a hoard of intoxicated teenagers though - kept bumping into me :) I suppose my post processing for 3 must have added in the noise as I actually cropped it quite a bit to remove some partying teenagers. In any case, at this point I am really debating between #1 and #2 as my entry with maybe a slight lean to #1.

Thanks again everyone - this is a great site - really appreciate the feedback and always welcome.
  • kentwallerkentwaller Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2012
    oh - now i remember - i usedmy sharpen tool on all these during post, probably unnecessarily and certainly adding in some noise - thanks again for pointing that out jake as I am going to fix that as well!
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2012
    I think #1 is the best overall for both composition and lighting. Theres nothing really distracting me in it either, and noise is minimal, too.
  • red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2012
    Coming back after a while I like #1 better... I'm not sure why I thought it was too busy the first time around. 2 and 4 I still like well too however... I have a hard time with choosing things - part of why I put so many on my thread!

I was surprised about the ISO for these shots! 200 should be pretty good, although cropping and sharpening can certainly introduce noise... I've lost at least a few decent photos by having to crop them down to remove unwanted intruders.
    thanks all - i re-edited all but the first, which i will post as my entry. if you are interested, you can see my new versions on my site :)
  • kentwallerkentwaller Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2012
    actually, the ones above are the corrected shots based on your comments, since i just replaced them directly on the site :)
  • tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2012
    You've gotten some really good feedback. For me, #2 had the biggest wow factor..the biggest impact at first sight.

they all have merits. Take the advice that makes sense to you and go with your gut.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.