Options

Hit or Miss Update

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited August 5, 2012 in People
Update. I took all your input to heart and almost trashed it. I even left it off the images I provided for the client, but had it on a thumb drive when I delivered the rest of the images.

I took a chance showed it to him and he absolutely LOVED it! Apparently this juxtaposition had some insightful meaning for him I was completely unaware of.

It's an interesting enigma, sometimes like this, the photographic community seems to condemn or nix an image when the recipient or non photographer praises it. :scratch:scratch:scratch

I am happy my client is happy.:D

Sam

Comments

• Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2012
    That's great Sam! Valuable lesson for all. Find out what the client likes and give it to them. That is what makes one successful.

I'm sure famous chef, Wolfgang Puck, doesn't have a high opinion of McDonald's Hamburgers. Yet, his restaurant in town recently closed, meanwhile McDonald's continues to sell hamburgers....and LOTS of em.
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2012
    You have to go with instinct and your artistic view. Critique is good in regards to giving ideas and the technical aspects of photography. When critique starts to get into "this is they way I would have done it", then it doesn't help. Nor when critique is so focused on the technical it misses the overall impact of the picture which is why we do this.
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2012
    It's an interesting enigma, sometimes like this, the photographic community seems to condemn or nix an image when the recipient or non photographer praises it. headscratch.gifscratchheadscratch.gif

I am happy my client is happy.:D

Dead on Sam.

I always find it interesting that I can get absolutely torched for images that the client (model) loves. I've gotten beaten up for images that the models' agency placed on her comp card and online agency gallery. Go figure.ne_nau.gif

To expand the point, I often post the same set on three sites and very often I'll get loved on one, trashed on the other with the most balanced C&C here with no particular pattern to what happens where. headscratch.gif

It's all valuable in some way but it does get confusing.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2012
    That's great Sam! Valuable lesson for all. Find out what the client likes and give it to them. That is what makes one successful.

I'm sure famous chef, Wolfgang Puck, doesn't have a high opinion of McDonald's Hamburgers. Yet, his restaurant in town recently closed, meanwhile McDonald's continues to sell hamburgers....and LOTS of em.

It wasn't bad enough my image got trashed, I'm now the McDonald's of the photography world. :cry:cry:cry:cry
    :D

Sam
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    It wasn't bad enough my image got trashed, I'm now the McDonald's of the photography world. :cry:cry:cry:cry
    :D

Sam

Was NOT comparing you to McDonalds and you know it!mwink.gif

However, if I get to cash the check every week, please feel free to do so to me!:D
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    It's an interesting enigma, sometimes like this, the photographic community seems to condemn or nix an image when the recipient or non photographer praises it.

Yep :)
    jonh68 wrote: »
    When critique starts to get into "this is they way I would have done it", then it doesn't help.

I disagree - although I'd probably phrase a response along the lines of ... 'have /did you consider ....' or 'I like / prefer results when ... ' etc

Whilst it doesn't / can't improve the image that's being discussed, it might make the taker consider different options from their 'usual / normal' approach when faced with similar circumstances and where practicalities allow ...

pp
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2012
    Yep :)

I disagree - although I'd probably phrase a response along the lines of ... 'have /did you consider ....' or 'I like / prefer results when ... ' etc

Whilst it doesn't / can't improve the image that's being discussed, it might make the taker consider different options from their 'usual / normal' approach when faced with similar circumstances and where practicalities allow ...

pp

To a point I agree, but when it becomes a critique on style, it doesn't help.
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2012
    Photography is always a matter of personal taste, and I'm guessing you knew that image would get mixed reviews (that's why you asked 'hit or miss?'). But it's great that your client loved it. I could name a ton of "great" artists whose work I don't care for. But none of us on this site individually get to be the arbiters of what makes a piece or an artist great (though we -- along with the rest of the world -- get to have an opinion that en masse matters).
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2012
    Dead on Sam.

I always find it interesting that I can get absolutely torched for images that the client (model) loves. I've gotten beaten up for images that the models' agency placed on her comp card and online agency gallery. Go figure.ne_nau.gif

To expand the point, I often post the same set on three sites and very often I'll get loved on one, trashed on the other with the most balanced C&C here with no particular pattern to what happens where. headscratch.gif

It's all valuable in some way but it does get confusing.

You have to consider what each is looking for. Models tend to really like their pictures because its them, especially if they haven't modeled before. Model Agencies need good clean shots of the model to show clients what they are getting. They need don't a good picture, just good shots of the model.

An objective viewer looking for a good all around picture will see things differently.

Also, when it comes to working with models and offering model pictures up for critique, many commentators can't get past how beautiful the model is so the critique is more about the subject, not the picture.
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2012
    The ever coming back dilemma , do you make a picture towards the taste and likings of the client or to your own photographer mind.

To me that is a simple answer and depends on your goals; Making money and run a business is all about making the client happy so that he pays you well. If you are more of an artist then money is not a driver, hence you do what you want to do. I fall in the second group, but then again I have another full-time job to make a living.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    Aleksandar VasicAleksandar Vasic Registered Users Posts: 334 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2012
    Very, very nice.