Options

Canon 5D problem

dsylvestrodsylvestro Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited August 2, 2013 in Cameras
Help, please! I'm thinking that I'm paying a heavy price for a stupid goof...

I changed lenses WITHOUT shutting the power off on the camera, and when I looked through the viewfinder, it was as if I were looking just through the lens itself - a tiny, round, porthole of an image. The zoom worked, as did the auto focus (as near as I could tell...), but the shutter didn't work. When I took the lens off (off shutting the power off FIRST!) the mirror seemed stuck but with a minor touch, it seemed to pop back into place. But once I took another shot, the same problem occurred. Rather than muck around with the mirror any further, I though I'd seek some expert advice from you all.

I'll be shooting a wedding in a couple of weeks and the nearest camera store said that there's a - gulp - 4 to 8 week turn around time on their repairs... no can do. Hope one of you all has herd of this problem before. Any help is MUCH appreciated!

Dave Sylvestro

Comments

• Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2012
    Is this the original 5D?
    If the original, you may have a mirror or shutter issue given the age of the camera.

Have you tried a different lens?
    I have a hard time believing this was directly caused by changing a lens without turning off the camera.

In any event, sending the camera to Canon would be much faster than the 4-8 week turnaround you were promised. As a CPS gold member, I have not had to wait more than one week to get a camera back (including shipping times) with one rare exception.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,203 moderator
    edited July 31, 2012
    Note: thread moved to the Cameras forum
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    dsyl17dsyl17 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 2, 2012
    Your PROMPT and helpful response to my 5D problem...
    You have no idea how helpful this is for me! I could not find a place to give me a proper suggestion (even proper attention...) in the many sites I visited for help. MANY thanks!! I believe it IS an original (5-6 years old maybe? I bought it used from my son 2 years ago who bought it used as a three year old camera, maybe?

Thanks to your advice, I'll call a Canon dealer to see what the turnaround time would be, or even drive it up to Providence RI (nearest "big" city) if I can get in touch with a dealer there. It's nice to feel optimistic about getting it back before the wedding. And believe it or not, the regular zoom lens for my EOS Reble XT will not fit on the 5D, though the 50 - 200 zoom will fit both. Go figure...

Thanks again!
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Is this the original 5D?
    If the original, you may have a mirror or shutter issue given the age of the camera.

Have you tried a different lens?
    I have a hard time believing this was directly caused by changing a lens without turning off the camera.

In any event, sending the camera to Canon would be much faster than the 4-8 week turnaround you were promised. As a CPS gold member, I have not had to wait more than one week to get a camera back (including shipping times) with one rare exception.
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2012
    Do not try to fit any EF-S lenses on the 5D...they extend too far back and can hit the mirror and possibly cause the damage you mentioned...
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2012
    I'd try to remove both batteries (the date/time battery too) from the camera and see if that cures the lockup...
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2012
    As someone who has had a few recent equipment failures right in the middle of my busiest shooting season, I'd strongly suggest going to Canon for the fix. Both recent repairs they did for me--fairly substantial--were turned around in five days. Probably not the cheapest option, but certainly the fastest. I believe there is a Canon service center in northern New Jersey.
  • Options
    fabthifabthi Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2012
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Do not try to fit any EF-S lenses on the 5D..
    I am not sure 100% but EF-S lenses don't even fit on Full Frame cameras.
    I have a 5D since 2006 and I never shut off camera when changing lenses (why?), Dave's problem is originated from something else.
    As for repairing, I strongly suggest, as well as others, a Canon service center.
    Good luck thumb.gif
    Fabio
  • Options
    gudeyegudeye Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 1, 2013
    Common Mirror issue...Canon will fix for free
    I know this response is for an old post that's probably been resolved but I just found this forum and figured I would post in case any one else has the same problems.

It very well could be your mirror itself causing the problem. The 5d had a common problem with the mirrors falling off or repositioning etc.....so common that Canon will fix the problem and replace the mirror for free....so send it in..it shouldn't cost you anything...they will even pay for shipping.
  • Options
    KA0TVOKA0TVO Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    You have time to rent a camera if needed. Very fast and not too expensive.
    Bob
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,860 moderator
    edited August 2, 2013
    KA0TVO wrote: »
    You have time to rent a camera if needed. Very fast and not too expensive.

Sadly, no. The original poster's request for help dates to Jul-31-2012.

Good suggestion nonetheless. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums