Options

DPP and Lens Optimizer

Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
edited August 2, 2012 in Digital Darkroom
Canon DPP has a Lens Optimizer. It has two controls, one for distance and the other just called setting.

What is being adjusted by these controls?

I can see in some cases it seems to add more detail as the "Setting"

How does the distance control affect the optimization?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited August 2, 2012
    Distance is automatically set buy what's in the EXIF and determined by the Canon lens and body you shoot with. In case the distance is not in the EXIF, you can alter it using the slider. You probably won't ever need to do that. Go with the default. The other slider is for strength of the optimization process, is at 50 by default, and also probably doesn't need much altering. If you touch one of those, most likely it would be the strength. I haven't played around with that too much, and I find 50 is OK for everything so far. It works great! If Canon shooters don't use this feature, they're really missing something good.

I use DLO judiciously for shots I really care about, and might see printed LARGE. For what it does to file sizes, I don't use it too often. One thing that isn't much known, is that the process is reversible. Once used to make a hiQ JPEG, you can go back in and uncheck it and re-save the file. The old smaller RAW .CR2 will shrink back to where it was.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky