China sweat shop

michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
edited August 24, 2012 in Street and Documentary
In response to "Through the baracades". I've posted this image previously in late 2010 or early 2011. It's been reworked back to colour. I'll share some backstory later.
DSC8162-Version-3-XL.jpg

Comments

• PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2012
    I like the shot however they look cold not sweatyrolleyes1.gif

No seriously, I like that you shot through the shutters and I think it works well in color. the one woman staring directly at the camera adds to the shot as well.
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |
  • lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2012
    I like the design of this and the information it provides about the subjects.
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2012
    You use color when necessary. Very nice (as usual).
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2012
    Nice shot.

It works well in color (maybe not enough contrast for b&w)
    Rags
  • SyncopationSyncopation Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2012
    Another thought provoking, well executed shot. Taken on it's own it tells us about the sweatshop conditions that many workers have to endure.

Now I'm curious as to the context and back story. I think this is a healthy debate about how we view images and apply context to them and whether this is consistent with the photographer's intentions or not.
    Syncopation

The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking. - Brook Atkinson- 1951
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2012
    I'm remiss in completing this tale. Let me start with saying I personally like this shot as it comes with a story that I'll tell in short form.

This is on the street that I've been shooting for close to five years now. Hefei Lu in Shanghai. People know me, I know them. Even if we don't converse much. The shop sells PJ's, JimJams, day sleeping wear. They sew them in the evenings.

The shot was taken in the dead of winter with the front shutters drawn. I'd parked myself outside, peeking through the screen while taking shots of an open shop next door. The subjects and I kept making visual contact. Again, we knew each other, made faces and laughed a lot.

So I got this shot. I like the shot. It still makes me laugh. The people in the shot like it because they also know the context. But for many it presents a much more dire circumstance than the actual situation.

The shot itself is complete. It's only ambiguous in so much as there are chapters missing in the story.
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2012
    michswiss wrote: »
    I'm remiss in completing this tale. Let me start with saying I personally like this shot as it comes with a story that I'll tell in short form.

This is on the street that I've been shooting for close to five years now. Hefei Lu in Shanghai. People know me, I know them. Even if we don't converse much. The shop sells PJ's, JimJams, day sleeping wear. They sew them in the evenings.

The shot was taken in the dead of winter with the front shutters drawn. I'd parked myself outside, peeking through the screen while taking shots of an open shop next door. The subjects and I kept making visual contact. Again, we knew each other, made faces and laughed a lot.

So I got this shot. I like the shot. It still makes me laugh. The people in the shot like it because they also know the context. But for many it presents a much more dire circumstance than the actual situation.

The shot itself is complete. It's only ambiguous in so much as there are chapters missing in the story.

... and of course, you gave it a "loaded" title. We all know how we're supposed to feel about sweat shops, don't we? mwink.gif

But of course, the image itself, if we ignore the title, is ambiguous without being misleading. Like a good novel or short story, we can see what the characters are doing, but must supply our own internal motivations for them. Is the person in focus lonely, bored, happy, sad? Does she enjoy her work, or is she secretly stitching "help I am being held prisoner..." into the fabric she's working with?

Excellently ambiguous. I like. thumb.gif
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2012
    First, wonderful image - one of your best. Second, allow me to suggest that those circumstances are pretty dire, even though you know the subject, etc. etc. And I know, I am applying Western standards in order to reach my conclusion. And I get that the subjects are employed, are making money, can eat, etc. etc. But so were American women who worked in sweat shops on the Lower East side of Manhattan in the first couple decades of the 20th century. Being employed, being paid, doesn't make the conditions any less onerous, or more acceptable. Appalling conditions are appalling conditions, no matter where they are. So, yes, it's nice to know the back story. But the back story really doesn't change the larger take-away this image gives us. ;-)
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 24, 2012