T3i Lens Help

ipatryipatry Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
edited August 6, 2012 in Cameras
So I got a T3i brand new this summer and this winter I want to get a nice lens. Since I do mostly right now action shots I wanted to buy a 100-400 EF L lens. Is it worth the $?? Or tell me about any other lenses that you like that are a zoom lens and at least 400-500 at top magnification. Keep the cost low!!:D

Comments

• Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2012
    The 100-400 is a very capable lens in good light but I wouldn't want to use it
    at an indoor sports venue. For that I would recommend a 70-200 2.8 or a
    fixed focal lens for that (i.e. 85 1.8, 50 1.4).

If you tell us what kind of action photos you take (indoor, outdoor, day, night?) we can give you a better
    answer.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • ipatryipatry Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2012
    Usually outdoor. Baseball, hunting, just things outside. I need a longer range lens
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2012
    ipatry wrote: »
    Usually outdoor. Baseball, hunting, just things outside. I need a longer range lens

100-400 would probably be fine, provided you aren't doing anything in low light/night time. The lens does have IS, which is helpful, but once the light gets low, it becomes difficult to get any action with floating aperture lenses like that.

Unfortunately, this is equipment which is manufactured with high quality materials and precision and keeping the cost low is difficult. If you want low cost, look at Sigma/Tamron/Tokina etc. They're not on the level of a Canon product, but they will probably satisfy most user's needs.
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2012
    ipatry wrote: »

the 100-400 is a nice telephoto zoom but first try the Canon 55-250IS - it's sharp but inexpensive ($150)