Options

Using FB as a sales channel

synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
edited August 29, 2012 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I really liked the share to facebook that was working a while ago. Having the buy link right there in the caption actually led to some sales for me. I am moving my FB marketing from my personal page to a business page and I don't recall if posting to a page was working or not.

However, it currently is not working at all. Any idea when this feature might be restored and whether or not it can deal with pages?

Thanks, love your product!
Brandon Smith
http://redwoodtwig.com
Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2012
    Hi Brandon,

I'm not aware of an issue with posting to your pages on Facebook. For pages on your Facebook account, you should be able to select them via a drop down menu as shown in the Facebook section here.
    If you have an issue with that, contact us at the HelpDesk with details, like what browser version you use and what you see on screen when you try to share. You may also want to check into the permissions on Facebook that you've granted for the SmugMug app - maybe you don't allow us to access / post to your pages?
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2012
    Hi Brandon,

I'm not aware of an issue with posting to your pages on Facebook. For pages on your Facebook account, you should be able to select them via a drop down menu as shown in the Facebook section here.
    If you have an issue with that, contact us at the HelpDesk with details, like what browser version you use and what you see on screen when you try to share. You may also want to check into the permissions on Facebook that you've granted for the SmugMug app - maybe you don't allow us to access / post to your pages?

Turns out to work fine on firefox, but not at all on Chrome.
    Brandon Smith
    http://redwoodtwig.com
    Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2012
    I had my fellow Heroes that use pages try and it worked for them in Chrome.
    Can you clear your Chrome cache?
    If that doesn't do the trick, do you have any extensions installed in your Chrome? If so which ones? Maybe one of them is interfering?

For further troubleshooting, I would suggest that you contact us directly at our HelpDesk with step by step details you take and what you see on screen.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2012
    Has the issue with facebook creating an individual post for each photo been cleared up yet?
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2012
    MomaZunk wrote: »
    Has the issue with facebook creating an individual post for each photo been cleared up yet?
    As far as I know that's an issue on Facebook's end - the last information on it that I've seen is this post from Miikka here. Looking at the issue report on Facebook (linked from here), they make no indication of the issue having been resolved yet.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2012
    I have a question about the sm to fb feature--does it upload hidden files? I've not tried it yet as the page I'm working on can't get messed up.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2012
    SamirD wrote: »
    I have a question about the sm to fb feature--does it upload hidden files? I've not tried it yet as the page I'm working on can't get messed up.
    If you refer to the publish to Facebook feature, you select which photos you'd like to publish from a gallery. I just checked, the listing of thumbnails you can choose from does not include hidden photos.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2012
    Thank you very much for the quick reply Sebastian! So does this feature have issues with everyone, or are there people using it out there without problems. headscratch.gif I'd love to try it, but can't risk making a mess right now.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2012
    SamirD wrote: »
    Thank you very much for the quick reply Sebastian! So does this feature have issues with everyone, or are there people using it out there without problems. headscratch.gif I'd love to try it, but can't risk making a mess right now.

It's pretty dead-simple to set up a test FB account with a 2nd email address. And a 2nd Business Test page.
  • Options
    racefanracefan Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2012
    im dont use face book but would it work out good to use to start getting my work out online ?
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2012
    racefan wrote: »
    im dont use face book but would it work out good to use to start getting my work out online ?
    You should give it a try as it's a great marketing tool from what I've heard from other photographers using it. I don't sell and just use Facebook for personal stuff so I can't really give you any first hand account. Maybe someone else can chime in on how they use Facebook for their business.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2012
    After creating a page for a client and working with it for a few months, I realize I'd never use fb in any way that my business depended on it. The platform is beyond buggy (it's alpha-quality software at best), and critical functions can just stop working for months on end (like the recent issue of posting albums to the timeline).

Where it is useful is reaching people who are on that platform. But what I've found is many of them are hesitant to look at anything off that platform, which isn't good for photo sales via SM. What's important as well is that the concept of intellectual property rights on photos is almost non-existant, and where sharing implies you can do anything you want with it. Definitely not a place for a pro that wants to sell their work.
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2012
    I've never seen the issue of "a post for every picture" except for the mobile version. My internet view, via IE, puts it there as a gallery.

My business doesn't depend on it, but certainly it is an integral part my whole plan. After a big show I share my gallery of candids (not competition images) to my Facebook Page for HoofClix. It links up fine. I then share the gallery to my personal page. It has never failed to create a little boost of business immediately after posting it. So regardless of how buggy Facebook might be, I definitely suggest you use it...
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..