Quick Portrait of My Kids

jkelly25jkelly25 Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
edited November 17, 2005 in People
The attached shot was a quick shot taken of my kids as we were walking along. I know I should have used fill flash, but was happy to get anything, and happy that they struck such a great pose.

ISO 100
F5
1/100 sec
55MM (88 equivalent)

I use elements 2, and adjusted the levels, and used the fill flash feature to lighten up the shadows on their faces (applied to whole picture, not just faces) Also used unsharp mask to sharpen.

Any comments and suggestions for improvement would be appreciated.

Joe
Joe Kelly
New Jersey

Comments

• Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2005
    jkelly25 wrote:
    The attached shot was a quick shot taken of my kids as we were walking along. I know I should have used fill flash, but was happy to get anything, and happy that they struck such a great pose.

ISO 100
    F5
    1/100 sec
    55MM (88 equivalent)

I use elements 2, and adjusted the levels, and used the fill flash feature to lighten up the shadows on their faces (applied to whole picture, not just faces) Also used unsharp mask to sharpen.

Any comments and suggestions for improvement would be appreciated.

Joe
    I think the photoshopping looks very natural. I wouldn't have known about it if you wouldn't have mentioned it. The pose is nice and I definitely like the background of course. I'm sure the shadows were difficult to overcome and there are still some that are a little problematic on the right side of his face, but really there not that big of a deal. It's not like you had an assisitant with a reflector out there with you or something.

or did you... I kid.

Good job!
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • jkelly25jkelly25 Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited November 17, 2005
    Mike,

Thanks for the kind words. If I had a reflecter, and the presence of mind, I had the "assistant" (my wife) to hold it. Also could have used fill flash if I was a little more thoughtful about setting up.

I agree with you about the right side of my son's face. I think I will try to be more selective with the adjustment and brighten that area up a little more.

Thanks for taking the time to give me your thoughts.

Joe
    Joe Kelly
    New Jersey