Options

How to programmatically invoke smugmug

DerStigDerStig Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
I'd like to write my own service that will process newly created pictures/videos and upload them to smugmug (first it has to create album, assign a theme, etc). I currently use the smugmug's windows explorer tool which lets me right click on files and upload. I could potentially be happy with silently running that process from my process (as long as I don't have to do it), but I'm not sure if that's available.

Regardless, it would be great if someone can help me out and point me to the right direction. Where I'm coming from is, I take a lot of pictures/videos and upload at least one gallery a day. Transferring these files from my cameras into my computer, sorting them, then uploading to smugmug takes a long time. So I decided to buy couple of the eye-fi cards which will do the transfer/sort part for me, then I'm willing to write a program myself (this is my day time job) which will always run in my media server and upload new files into smugmug automatically.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2012
    Smugmug has an API and an API discussion forum. If you want to programmatically access photos on Smugmug or upload photos to Smugmug, then this API would be how you do that.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    jhofkerjhofker Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2012
    Eye-Fi appears to have built-in functionality to upload to SmugMug - maybe that's good enough?
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2012
    jhofker wrote: »
    Eye-Fi appears to have built-in functionality to upload to SmugMug - maybe that's good enough?

Sorry, the eye-fi I have, which is the X2 pro one, does not have that. It has integration for facebook, flickr, ftp, mobileme, and picasa. If you can show me how to integrate it with smugmug, you'll save me a few hundreds of line of code:)
  • Options
    bandgeekndbbandgeekndb Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2012
    Definitely take another look at the settings for your eye-fi card. Their site indicates the Pro X2 should have no problem uploading to Smugmug. In fact, they tout both image and video uploads.

I'm getting my Pro X2 card on Monday, so I'll verify Smugmug support then if you don't get a chance before then.

~Nick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Nikon D7000, D90

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8
    Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2012
    I'm interested in what can be done with the Eyefi and SM. I may start using these shortly.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2012
    It can be done, its very easy to set it up, however, you can't control every setting. You can make the gallery public/private, set its name, but thats pretty much it. You can't set category or theme.
  • Options
    jhofkerjhofker Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2012
    Seems like setting category and theme might be the easiest part of what you're looking to do. :-) Just set it to upload private galleries automatically and then go manually change settings when you're ready for them to be public.
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2012
    There were some command line interfaces to the API that might be able to help you. I don't remember their names off-hand, but I remember one was a completely java application where you could execute API methods straight from the command line.
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2012
    DerStig wrote: »
    It can be done, its very easy to set it up, however, you can't control every setting. You can make the gallery public/private, set its name, but thats pretty much it. You can't set category or theme.
    Can you tell it to upload to an existing gallery? headscratch.gif