1d Mark II vs. Mark IIn

Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
edited August 7, 2012 in Cameras
Howdy, fellow grinners.

Considering picking up a 1d Mark IIn as a second body for my 7D with 16-35 2.8 II / 50 1.4 / 70-200 2.8 IS I. I mostly shoot documentary style stuff...trying to get ready to go for the Republican National Convention riots and would like to get a second body under my arm at long last.

If you have experience with the Mark II and IIn, I'd like to know if you think the extra $200 is worth it for the IIn.

Can't afford a Mark III, and don't really want a 5D (FPS, build quality, AF, etc. et al.) so I'm just curious if you have experience with this body, and have anything to say about it.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,068 moderator
    edited August 5, 2012
    I have 2 copies of the Canon 1D MKII, which I used for sports and still use for weddings and social events.

For my use, which currently is all to RAW files, there was not enough justification for the upgrade. For me the main differences:
    1) Relatively small buffer difference (A 10 percent increase in the newer model for RAW files.)
    2) Larger LCD display (2.5" in the newer vs 2" in the older.)
    3) More options for storage like a rollover option from first to second storage, and the ability to store RAW and JPG files seperately. (All I need is redundancy.)
    4) Picture styles. I shoot to RAW so applying picture styles can be created in post, if needed, but I've never needed that.

However, now that gently used 1D MKII are getting scarce, it might be worth the extra $200 just to make sure that you're getting a newer body.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I have 2 copies of the Canon 1D MKII, which I used for sports and still use for weddings and social events.

For my use, which currently is all to RAW files, there was not enough justification for the upgrade. For me the main differences:
    1) Relatively small buffer difference (A 10 percent increase in the newer model for RAW files.)
    2) Larger LCD display (2.5" in the newer vs 2" in the older.)
    3) More options for storage like a rollover option from first to second storage, and the ability to store RAW and JPG files seperately. (All I need is redundancy.)
    4) Picture styles. I shoot to RAW so applying picture styles can be created in post, if needed, but I've never needed that.
    However, now that gently used 1D MKII are getting scarce, it might be worth the extra $200 just to make sure that you're getting a newer body.

No joke. I saw several decent Ns for sale on Adorama and KEH a few weeks ago when I was "considering" and now that I'm in "purchase" mode they're all gone.

So you'd definitely recommend a great condition II over an okay condition IIn, is what you're saying? My plan for the camera is to have the 16-35 on it, to take full advantage of the purpose of that lens, and keep the 70-200 on the 7D. Mostly PJ-style use.
    edited August 5, 2012
    Quincy T wrote: »
    No joke. I saw several decent Ns for sale on Adorama and KEH a few weeks ago when I was "considering" and now that I'm in "purchase" mode they're all gone.

So you'd definitely recommend a great condition II over an okay condition IIn, is what you're saying? My plan for the camera is to have the 16-35 on it, to take full advantage of the purpose of that lens, and keep the 70-200 on the 7D. Mostly PJ-style use.

The Canon 1D, 1D MKII, 1D MKIIN, 1D MKIII and MKIV are all crop 1.3x/APS-H format. That is closer to a FF than the dRebel and xxD models, but it's not FF.

The 1Ds, 1Ds MKII and 1Ds MKIII, as well as the 5D series, are all FF bodies.

You'll have to decide for yourself if the differences between the 1D MKII and 1D MKIIN are sufficient to move you one way or another.
    ziggy53
    edited August 5, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    The Canon 1D, 1D MKII, 1D MKIIN, 1D MKIII and MKIV are all crop 1.3x/APS-H format. That is closer to a FF than the dRebel and xxD models, but it's not FF.

The 1Ds, 1Ds MKII and 1Ds MKIII, as well as the 5D series, are all FF bodies.

You'll have to decide for yourself if the differences between the 1D MKII and 1D MKIIN are sufficient to move you one way or another.
    I realize the difference in the FF and APS-H and shouldn't have said "full advantage", but thanks Ziggy. You're right, I guess I will have to decide on my own. Just wanted to clarify what you said.
    edited August 6, 2012
    Found an amazing deal on a IIn with 11,000 actuations. Good day :)
    edited August 7, 2012
    Quincy T wrote: »
    Found an amazing deal on a IIn with 11,000 actuations. Good day :)

Good luck. thumb.gif
    ziggy53