Options

Bailey

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited August 7, 2012 in People
Here are a few of the set I took of Bailey yesterday. The goal of this session was to get at least one good headshot. I'll be honest, I've never shot a headshot for a child so I just set out to get a quality photo of her that allows her natural personality to show through. I hope I hit the mark with at least one. Admittedly, some of these are not headshots but I can't help to take pics of this little girl.

DSC0655-Edit-X2.jpg

DSC0663-Edit-X2.jpg

DSC0668-Edit-X2.jpg

DSC0674-Edit-X2.jpg

5. - My absolute favorite!!! :barb
DSC0697-Edit-X2.jpg

DSC0694-Edit-X2.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2012
    3 is just about perfect. Great use of natural light to highlight her.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2012
    Thanks John.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2012
    Brilliant and refreshing, everything works. Looks like real fun as well. Congrats, I adore #3 due to the sun in her hair.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2012
    Thanks Trudy.

Got some work in with the wide angle too:
    DSC0860-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2012
    what a beauty! love the lighting in 3 and the expression in 6.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2012
    3 is great. Crop it in some more, and you have a perfect headshot. The others are also stunning - that child is SOOOOO expressive! Cute to see her growing up, too. iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2012
    Thanks Momma and Diva.

Diva, I left some room since I don't know what dimensions they will be printed on. Are headshots typically 8x10?

My Smug Site
  • Options
    GothamGotham Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2012
    Headshots are typically 8x10, but they often are printed with a border, so the frame can be 4:5, 3:4 or 2:3. I'm not loving the skin tones -- on my monitor, the color balance is way on the green side -- and 1 & 2 look over-exposed. But otherwise, it's a great set.
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2012
    Gotham wrote: »
    Headshots are typically 8x10, but they often are printed with a border, so the frame can be 4:5, 3:4 or 2:3. I'm not loving the skin tones -- on my monitor, the color balance is way on the green side -- and 1 & 2 look over-exposed. But otherwise, it's a great set.

Thanks Gotham.

Hmm... is your monitor calibrated?

Both skin tone and exposure are good on my calibrated monitor at home and even on both my shit monitors at work. And I had no blinkies on the histogram on any of these photos in PS and LR. headscratch.gif

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2012
    Gotham wrote: »
    Headshots are typically 8x10, but they often are printed with a border, so the frame can be 4:5, 3:4 or 2:3.

nod.gif

I'd bring it in quite a lot - focus for a headshot needs to be on the subject rather than "subject and environs" (beautifully though you have framed it inside the treelines). You could even try that one as a portrait crop of just her - I personally love landscape orientation headshots, but that one can probably go either way and still be terrific. #1 could probably do the same.

As with the other flare set, I think the black point could be upped just a tad - not sure if that will address the green-ness that Gotham is seeing (which I only see in the wide-angle swing shot) but it will prevent the hazy look. My monitor currently needs to be recalibrated as it hasn't been done in a while, so if it looks good on all of yours, it's probably good to go :)
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2012
    Diva... this is a different shot than #1 but talking crops, is this tight enough?

DSC0656-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2012
    It's absolutely adorable... but I think you can still come in closer if you have the pixel density to do so. How does it looks in a vertical orientation, possibly even cutting into her camera right arm?
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2012
    Diva,

Those crops are right out of camera so I have plenty of pixel room to crop. I also have a vertical shot.

Here is #3 cropped a bit:
    DSC0668-Edit-XL.jpg

And here is the vertical shot cropped a bit:
    DSC0648-Edit-XL.jpg

My Smug Site