Wide angle lens...

chuckdee1chuckdee1 Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited August 6, 2012 in Cameras
I have the 16-36mm 2.8 and I'm looking to go wider. I've heard the sig 10-20mm 3.5 is nice but I'm worried about losing an F-stop. I've also heard some nice/not so nice things about the Tokina 11-16 2.8. It has the extra stop that the Sig doesn't have but I've read some sketchy reviews.

I'm looking for sharpness. I don't care about the auto-focusing. For full frame bodies.

Any input would be greatly appreciate, thanks.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,068 moderator
    edited August 6, 2012
    chuckdee1 wrote: »
    I have the 16-36mm 2.8 and I'm looking to go wider. I've heard the sig 10-20mm 3.5 is nice but I'm worried about losing an F-stop. I've also heard some nice/not so nice things about the Tokina 11-16 2.8. It has the extra stop that the Sig doesn't have but I've read some sketchy reviews.

I'm looking for sharpness. I don't care about the auto-focusing. For full frame bodies.

Both the Sigma 10-20mm, f3.5 EX DC HSM and the Tokina 11-16mm, f2.8 AT-X Pro DX are for crop bodies (1.5x or 1.6x, depending on the mount.)

Your best bet for absolute sharpness in a super-wide zoom with curvilinear correction is the Nikkor 14-24mm, f2.8G ED AF-S used with a Canon EF to Nikon F mount adapter like the Novoflex. (I recommend purchasign the "chipped" version of the adapter, which allows for manual focus confirmation.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • chuckdee1chuckdee1 Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Both the Sigma 10-20mm, f3.5 EX DC HSM and the Tokina 11-16mm, f2.8 AT-X Pro DX are for crop bodies (1.5x or 1.6x, depending on the mount.)

Your best bet for absolute sharpness in a super-wide zoom with curvilinear correction is the Nikkor 14-24mm, f2.8G ED AF-S used with a Canon EF to Nikon F mount adapter like the Novoflex. (I recommend purchasign the "chipped" version of the adapter, which allows for manual focus confirmation.)

Thanks for the input, Ziggy. How reliable are the Canon to Nikon adapters?

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,068 moderator
    edited August 6, 2012
    chuckdee1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the input, Ziggy. How reliable are the Canon to Nikon adapters?

Reliability is supposed to be pretty good because it's mostly a mechanical adapter. If you get the chipped version, the micro circuit board can be damaged, but you can still use the lens and focus by Live View or just use the viewfinder. I suppose that the aperture lever could eventually cause problems but, if you need to use a Nikon "G" series lens, like the Nikkor 14-24mm, f2.8G ED AF-S, I believe that this is still the best way to go.

Of course you could also switch to a Nikon D800/D800E host body and eliminate the adapter, and have a perfectly lovely combination that way too. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Reliability is supposed to be pretty good because it's mostly a mechanical adapter. If you get the chipped version, the micro circuit board can be damaged, but you can still use the lens and focus by Live View or just use the viewfinder. I suppose that the aperture lever could eventually cause problems but, if you need to use a Nikon "G" series lens, like the Nikkor 14-24mm, f2.8G ED AF-S, I believe that this is still the best way to go.

Of course you could also switch to a Nikon D800/D800E host body and eliminate the adapter, and have a perfectly lovely combination that way too. clap.gif

I hear that Canon may have patented a 14-24 design. I'd expect it to be well over $2,000 if it's going to compete with the Nikon 14-24, but if your goal is ultimate wide angle sharpness, you're gonna hafta go for broke.

The Canon 16-35, both mk1 and mk2, are abysmal most of the time. I've never seen a good copy although I hear they exist. The 17-40 isn't much better, but at least it's priced more accordingly to it's performance.

The bottom line is that currently Nikon is king of the hill when it comes to ultra-wide sharpness. A D800 plus a Nikon 14-24 is pretty much a landscape photog's dream system. But Canon will be making a comeback very soon for sure. I wouldn't jump the fence if you're currently invested in Canon gear, and are accustomed to the control layouts. A Canon 17-40 is a great intermediate investment for general shooting.

If manual focusing is fine, check out the Samyang / Rokinon ultra-wides, they have a great 14mm I hear. Or, if money is no object, get into the Zeiss ultra-wides. They have an 18mm and 21mm that are pretty much flawless, and now I hear they have a 15mm (?) that comes close to even the Nikon 14-24...

Good luck!
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum