Options

Which to sell? or both?

JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
edited November 17, 2005 in Cameras
So, some of you all may have seen my thread in Buy/Sell about my D70 and perhaps I should have posted this first, but I thought I would get your all's opinions, if you don't mind.

I have the D70 and D2H. I mainly do weddings and some portraits as a side job. I love to photograph anything though..as evidenced by my smugmug site.

My question is...do I sell my D70 or D2H? Or both? And get 2 D200's?

I really like the D2H..solid feel and it's a great camera. Only 5 months old.

But..I keep thinking....would I be better off with 2 D200's or 1 D200 and use the D70 as backup? :scratch :dunno

Opinions please.

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2005
    Hey John,

I would keep the D2h. No other camera has the ability to get off a sequence of shots to match it (excluding the D2hs of course). The D2h is a pro-quality body which the others are not.

Right now (reviews pending) I intend to get the D200 as a back-up to my D2h and sell my D100.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2005
    If you *need* the 8fps, (like sports, or wildlife) then keep the D2H. If you merely need a backup, then keep the D70, as that doesn't hold it's resale as well as the D2H I would think.

HTH,
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Hey John,

I would keep the D2h. No other camera has the ability to get off a sequence of shots to match it (excluding the D2hs of course). The D2h is a pro-quality body which the others are not.

Right now (reviews pending) I intend to get the D200 as a back-up to my D2h and sell my D100.

The D2h is amazingly fast! I love that about it...and the pro "feel" of it. Solid for sure! I love the size of the viewfinder and all that.

That said...the D200 is supposed to be fast:
    Continuous Drive Yes, 5 fps, 37 JPEG / 22 RAW frames

and the viewfinder of the D200 is supposed to be really nice!
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2005
    JohnR wrote:

Don't get that excited... it is still a Nikon naughty.gif
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2005
    andy wrote:
    If you *need* the 8fps, (like sports, or wildlife) then keep the D2H. If you merely need a backup, then keep the D70, as that doesn't hold it's resale as well as the D2H I would think.

HTH,

See, that is the question. Do I really *need* the D2H? Probably not.

Would I regret selling it? Probably.

Would my wife knock me over the head for selling this camera after only 5 months and her asking me "will you be happy enough if you got this camera?" umph.gif Probably! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Don't get that excited... it is still a Nikon naughty.gif

:thwak
    Hey Andy, I think you need to quit this for the night! mwink.gif :booze
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    The D2h is amazingly fast! I love that about it...and the pro "feel" of it. Solid for sure! I love the size of the viewfinder and all that.

That said...the D200 is supposed to be fast:
    Continuous Drive Yes, 5 fps, 37 JPEG / 22 RAW frames

I am excited about the D200. It seems to be well made and should be a fast focuser. It just won't be as fast as the D2h. When I shoot with my D100 now I can really feel the difference between the two. Thats why the D100 will be going and the d2h will be staying.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2005
    JohnR wrote:

Would my wife knock me over the head for selling this camera after only 5 months and her asking me "will you be happy enough if you got this camera?" umph.gif Probably! rolleyes1.gif

Ahh - you didn't mention SWMBO. You have a tough decision. Best go on out for a walk in the woods and ponder that, yup.
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Ahh - you didn't mention SWMBO.

I would have if I knew what a SWMBO was! ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited November 14, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    I would have if I knew what a SWMBO was! ne_nau.gif

She Who Must Be Obeyed!! :):
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    She Who Must Be Obeyed!! :):

rolleyes1.gif
    Ohhhhh ok. But she's not like that at all. I could easily do it and she wouldn't mind/cared.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,915 moderator
    edited November 15, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    ... Do I really *need* the D2H? Probably not.

Would I regret selling it? Probably.

...rolleyes1.gif
    John,

With these statements in mind, I recommend that you sell the D70 and get the D200, keeping the D2H. Once you get the D200, you can make an informed decision based on your experience between the D200 and the D2H. You might wind up thinking that combination is sufficient and suitable for your needs, or you may decide that 2-D200s are more appropriate. Heck, you might even talk yourself into 2-D2Hs after the experience.

The point is, you will have enough experience to make a sound decision and, with those 2 cameras in your repertoire, I doubt you will miss the D70.

To me, a D2H and a D200 together makes a lot of sense.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    John,

Is there any way you can wait until you have the D200 in your possession to decide which body you want to sell? I suspect you will ultimately want to sell your D70. The combo of the pro features on the D2H and all the great new features and MP of the D200 would be great and cover all of your bases. I just don't see what the D70 would add to your kit (other than a great backup body).

I own a D2X and a D70. The problem I have now is that I love the feel of the D2X. When I hold the D70, it feels like a child's toy. My D70 is still around for my wife to use and for when I want to carry around a lighter body. I suspect you may still be interested in holding and using a pro body even after you start using the D200.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif
    Ohhhhh ok. But she's not like that at all. I could easily do it and she wouldn't mind/cared.
    John, here's the trick. Play it like you're one of those foreign country photojournalists, who tapes up all the logos on one's camera. I think they do this to lessen the chances of being mugged, etc. With all the logos covered up, a D200 can pass as a D70 very easily! Or, treat yourself to the vertical grip and it'll pass as a D2h. As long as the wife isn't watching the bank account too closely, it should be no problem. Unless, to my jealousy, you have a tech dweeb of a wife who already knows everything about DSLR's. Though I hear those are few and far between. My soulmate still isn't past the "embarrased to be seen with mr. huge lens" stage, alas...

Sell off either the D70 or preferably the D2h ASAP, their prices are dropping as the D200 approaches. Especially if they are in near-mint condition; you can just buy back a lesser condition model down the road if you really really miss it. Ebay it with a memory card and a lens or something, that usually gets people to pay quite close to what you paid for it, surprisingly enough.

If you really don't need the 8 FPS on the D2h as opposed to the 5 FPS on the D200, then you should probably let the D2h go with the confidence that the D200 will not let you down in the other departments, that of build and feel. It will be the same as the D2h, except the battery grip "comes off". (Read= it's optional, but you would of course buy one right away if you miss the feel of your D2h a lot) You see, that's the beauty of the D200 as opposed to say, on Canon's side, the 1DmkII and the 20D/350D. With those cameras, you go from oh-so-sweet professional build and feel to "prosumer" average build and feel. With the D200 however, you're sacraficing nothing in the build and feel department.

In my case, I would really welcome a camera built more like the pro series but with the battery grip as optional. Sure, AF and FPS may lessen a tiny bit, but it's probably a tiny edge you'd only miss if you shoot football or cars or jets, not weddings. My guess is that the D200 AF will not be as fast, but will be just as accurate and precise, which is all I need for a wedding or portrait session. And way more than I need for landscape and macro, considering I don't use AF at all in those applications...

Let us know how things turn out,
    -Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum