Camera Advice

sneaky77sneaky77 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited August 13, 2012 in Cameras
I currently have a Canon 50D I have been looking into a possible upgrade to a Canon 7D, is that a worthy move up, or should I wait until I can save enough money for a Full Frame camera like the MKII or MKIII, that would also involve having to rebuy a 24-70mm lense that I got from Sigma.

Thank you for the advice.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,068 moderator
    edited August 7, 2012
    It's always helpful to note how you would use a new camera and what you are hoping to improve upon versus your current camera.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    It's always helpful to note how you would use a new camera and what you are hoping to improve upon versus your current camera.

Agreed. As a 7D owner, I can recommend the camera, but that's all depending on what you intend to use it for.
  • sneaky77sneaky77 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2012
    For the most part I have been doing hiking, mountain landscapes and similar, although I want to get more into maybe city landscape and street photography. Someone recommended me to wait for Photokina since is at the end of the month, so I may do that.
    I read the 7D has better metering modes, as well as better focusing modes and more color depth so that was what I was drawn to at first.
    Thank you for the replies, they are appreciated.
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2012
    I shoot with a 50D, so I can't provide any first hand experience with the crop vs. full frame argument. However, I have thought very carefully about whether the 7D would offer me enough to warrant the expense of replacing my 50D. I really think it depends on what you shoot.

For my uses, the answer is no. When I have been willing to put extra cash into photo equipment, there were many other things that I thought would offer me more--in some cases, better glass, in other cases smaller things. My reasoning is that very little that I should would benefit much from the much better AF in the 7D. I don't shoot sports, and a lot of what I shoot--landscapes and flower macros--is things that don't move at all. The AF on the 50D is fine for those purposes. If I shot sports or birds, I probably would think more seriously about upgrading.

On the other hand, if the next generation of APS-C has much lower high-ISO noise (the 7D doesn't), that would matter to me, and I might go for it--given what I shoot.
  • sneaky77sneaky77 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2012
    Thanks, for your reply, that is very helpful since is the same situation I am in.
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2012
    I would recommend to pickup a used 5d2 for the type of shooting that you do, it is not much more expensive than a new 7D.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • 72Sandeen72Sandeen Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited August 10, 2012
    I think there's nothing wrong when upgrading to 7D.. I am planning of upgrading too, I have Canon 600D, but I have to think it over really ,its quiet expensive ,you also have to upgrade your lens.

Generic online pharmacy
    edited August 10, 2012
    72Sandeen wrote: »
    I think there's nothing wrong when upgrading to 7D.. I am planning of upgrading too, I have Canon 600D, but I have to think it over really ,its quiet expensive ,you also have to upgrade your lens.

The Canon 7D and 600D/T3i should both be capable of using the same EF-S and EF series lenses. You should not have to upgrade lenses, but you may wish to upgrade lenses.

Yes, moving to a 5D series body would require EF series lenses or compatible FF third-party lenses (generally).

(This is just a clarification.)
    ziggy53
    edited August 10, 2012
    sneaky77 wrote: »
    For the most part I have been doing hiking, mountain landscapes and similar, although I want to get more into maybe city landscape and street photography. Someone recommended me to wait for Photokina since is at the end of the month, so I may do that.
    I read the 7D has better metering modes, as well as better focusing modes and more color depth so that was what I was drawn to at first.
    Thank you for the replies, they are appreciated.

For vista landscapes I do prefer a FF body for single image captures, but I also use crop bodies with a panoramic head to produce extremely detailed stitched images of static scenes. You may also use multiple exposures of static scenes to produce image composites with almost unlimited dynamic range. (Multiple images at bracketed shutter speeds, for instance.)

It's a lot more work, shooting multiple images and stitching and/or stacking in post-production, but the results can be extremely rewarding:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=101529
    http://news.smugmug.com/2010/03/26/ipad-for-an-idea/
    ziggy53
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2012
    sneaky77 wrote: »
    I currently have a Canon 50D I have been looking into a possible upgrade to a Canon 7D, is that a worthy move up, or should I wait until I can save enough money for a Full Frame camera like the MKII or MKIII, that would also involve having to rebuy a 24-70mm lense that I got from Sigma.

Thank you for the advice.

if you shot a lot of sports the 7D would be a good upgrade but for landscapes, street photography, etc. the 5D is probably a better choice