Options

Time to move on

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2012
    caroline wrote: »
    Sean - it's late here but if my memory serves me correctly, I was informed back then that if I didn't remove the watermarks manually they would remain on my images - which is of course what I would prefer now as would many others by the sound of things.
    Are you now saying that if we chose not to use this new tool to remove watermarks when downgrading they will remain on our images?

It would be helpful if you could provide me with copies of all previous exchanges between us by email or pm and not here on the forum:) Can you do this please?

Caroline
    I think it is earlier in this thread where it was stated by a smug mug support person that the water marks would not stay.
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    caroline wrote: »
    Sean - it's late here but if my memory serves me correctly, I was informed back then that if I didn't remove the watermarks manually they would remain on my images - which is of course what I would prefer now as would many others by the sound of things.
    Are you now saying that if we chose not to use this new tool to remove watermarks when downgrading they will remain on our images?

It would be helpful if you could provide me with copies of all previous exchanges between us by email or pm and not here on the forum:) Can you do this please?

Caroline
    There is now a new feature of the Smugmug system that when you downgrade your account, all watermarks will be automatically removed (not instantaneously, but over the next few hours). It did not use to be that way, but is now.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    bryanbrazilbryanbrazil Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    kygarden wrote: »
    I have a year to decide. My account renewed at the old pro rate right before the increase.

I'm in the same boat, I've got another 9 months before my renewal date comes up. Even though it costs quite a bit more, I'm moving to Photo Shelter. It's never been about the money for me anyway, I just feel like I don't trust SmugMug anymore...
  • Options
    edited September 18, 2012
    I have 4 months left and i still signed up at zenfolio.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Dennis
    Work in progress
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    I have to wonder... how long have SmugMug's competitors had features we've requested a long time ago? How is it possible that other competitors can have features we want and SM can't implement them or even give us a timeline?
    I think this is a bit of a slanted point of view. I check out Zenfolio's feedback system (http://zenfolio.uservoice.com/forums/75695-feature-suggestions) and it has MANY outstanding wants that we've enjoyed here at SM for years. It's just a matter of two different types of fruit--apples and oranges. Both are sweet, both have a great texture, it's just about what fits best for you.

FTP uploading has been a request at Zen for years just like here on SM: rolleyes1.gif
    http://zenfolio.uservoice.com/forums/75695-feature-suggestions/suggestions/1196133-ftp-sftp-ssh-bulk-uploads
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    well Zen has paypal and SM won't for years... ... ... if ever...there is self fulfill thru Zen ...SM doesn't and doesn't seem to care......
    Baldy said in one of his answers...we listen and while the competitors did all sorts of trendy upgrading we did not....that is a paraphrase but darn close
    and I call totall BS....they came thru pounding their chests...we got Ipad this... ... ...we got Iphone that.....it was all crap and was not on user voice at all....but it was important
    to the few apple buddies ... .... ....and onthumb and baldy and the cronies of the time ... ... ... ... ...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    RobertkRobertk Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2012
  • Options
    dereksurfsdereksurfs Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    All this talk about Zenfolio and the competition is like Deja Vu for me. I acutally started with Zenfolio first over SM when they were just starting out based on a better layout and more intuitive out-of-the-box experience. However they were *very rigid* initially, unwilling to change their basic format allowing very little in the way of customization, one's own logo, etc... Smugmug on the other hand was much more open to mods even though the themes and general look and feel was very dated even then. Fast foward to 2012 and now Zen along with a number of other up and comers are offering slicker options. Many of the recommendations I made which Zen was unwilling to consider back then they have now implemented.

I think SM now is at a crossroads of sorts and they realize it. Its time for *Major* change, some of which will not appeal to everyone. I think we all agree upon two overarching objectives:

1. The interface must change along with its underlying infrastucture. Nothing short of a long overdue rearchitecture will suffice. And this my friends takes major time and money.

2. We all agree that prices must go up for them to remain viable, competitive, profitable, etc... All this stuff takes money to run, build and maintain. Good will and happy times can only go so far.

For number one the problem for many is that they are tired of waiting. They want new functionality now. Well, the simple answer is it is not ready yet due to the scope and scale of the effort. That leaves many in a waiting mode they are uncomfortable with. And yes, for these folks it may be time to move to greener pastures for now anyway. Some businesses simply cannot wait for the promise of a better day.

Regarding prices going up, its inevitable. We know that. I guess the main gripe for some is the way the new price structure falls for certain groups of photographers (aspiring pros, amatuer enthusiasts), not that prices are increasing themselves. For me as a hobbiest enthusiast I don't have a problem with it. I don't use watermarks and am happy with the power account. I can see if I had the time to get serious about selling my work I would have to take a grand leap up in price. And for those just building a business and clientele that seems like quite a jump. But I'm not there so it really doesn't bother me at this point. To keep this market segment from moving to competitor sites SM could offer *some* ecommerce options at the portfolio level and just charge a higher fee per job like zenfolio does for their Premium $120/year plan.

If the new look and feel along with its functionality improves significantly new customers will come, bottom line. The business will grow. The new pricing structure may change the customer demographic in the future. But even the competition, hello Zenfolio, charges higher rates to be at the full business/ecommerce level. And for the power users SM still offers more in the way of customizations. So different hosts will appeal to different audiences. Its inevitable.
  • Options
    mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    dereksurfs wrote: »
    To keep this market segment from moving to competitor sites SM could offer *some* ecommerce options at the portfolio level and just charge a higher fee per job like zenfolio does for their Premium $120/year plan.

The ZF Premium account not only costs less annually ($120 as you mentioned), but the ZF take of the remaining profit is less too (12% vs. SM 15%).
  • Options
    I was tired of wait to print/download my price list, or to allow visitors to collect their favorites, but what pushed me to leave was the watermark issue! Because of certain life things going on I could not afford the price increase and instead of temporarily dropping down a level until things get better for me I have to leave because I would have to remove watermarks to drop down!! If Smug would have allowed me to drop down and keep existing watermarks I may have stayed.headscratch.gif
    Dennis
    Work in progress