Sony Alpha A350 vs. Nikon D3000

srr64srr64 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited August 31, 2012 in Cameras
It seemed like this was the place for this question, if not let me know and I'll be happy to move it.

Hi I’m looking into buying a starter DSLR and I think I’ve narrowed my choices down to either the Sony Alpha A350 or the Nikon D3000 and wondered if anybody here cared to weigh in. I’ve read some of the past threads and it seems like everyone knows their stuff, so this is kind of the decision maker.

First uses for the camera will be for vacation with friends so some landscape and some 3-5 foot range also (probably starting with an 18-55 lens or an 18-70), so really just all around use for that trip. Then I have several business trips coming up at conventions that I’ll take it to so those will mostly be all indoors in a trade show setting.

My one concern off the top of my head with the Sony is glass, it seems like there are a lot more Nikon lenses available (but maybe I’m looking in the wrong places). The only reason this might be a concern is that if I decide to upgrade to a ‘big-boy’ camera later than having some lenses already would be a bonus and cost saver.

Thanks everyone!
Scott

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,067 moderator
    edited August 10, 2012
    Thanks so much for describing your use of the new camera lenses. It helps a lot in making recommendations.

You are correct in that Canon and Nikon have more used lenses and used camera accessories available than Sony. For that reason alone I would choose Nikon, although it needs to be said that Sony really do have very competent camera bodies these days.

Assuming that you do look at the Nikon D3000, I also suggest looking at the Nikon D3100, mostly because you mention "indoors in a trade show setting" and the D3100 has considerably better low light sensor performance. (Low noise at higher ISOs.)

Either body requires lenses with built-in AF motor technology for autofocus operation. So, look for mostly AF-S designation Nikkor lenses or third party lenses with BIM (Built-In-Motor) capability.

I do suggest using f2.8 constant aperture zoom lenses for best results, but the Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED AF-S DX is a very pleasant lens to use and I consider it an upper end consumer lens. (My father has a copy that I have used on his Nikon dSLR.)

I strongly suggest using an external flash and flash modifier for indoor and outdoor photographs. A flash with a focus assist light improves both autofocus speed and autofocus accuracy, and an appropriate flash modifier lifts the light and diffuses the light to make more natural looking images.

You can create your own light modifiers (DIY). A couple that I can recommend are:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/908195739C4C0D3

Better Bounce Card

Joe Demb also makes an interesting device for sale (reasonable):

http://www.dembflashproducts.com/flipit/

I own a FlipIt product and it works well and is very well made.

A site showing various modifiers in use:

http://www.the-meissners.org/2006-small-albums/2006-flashmod/index.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • srr64srr64 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 10, 2012
    Thanks
    Hi Ziggy,
    Thanks for the time and thought that went into your answer. I'll have to add the the Nikon D3100 to the list to look into.

Thanks!
    Scott
  • clarsen0606clarsen0606 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited August 30, 2012
    Scott,

I began my DSLR life with the Sony A350 and have since upgraded to the A55. I have loved the performance of both but I will say that Ziggy is correct - my only wish is that there were more choices for lenses (particularly inexpensive or used). I don't have experience with the Nikons but I will tell you the Sony camera is easy to use, has great features and takes great pics.

Good luck in your decision making process!

Craig
  • skippy77skippy77 Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2012
    dont forget the sony has the full range of minolta lenses at its disposal some can argue that minolta glass was some of the best in the world and can be picked up for cheap yes sony alos has there own range of glass as well which is growing every year i own both sony and nikon and for some reason always reach for the sony first
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2012
    For me, it comes down to this: Do you have any professional aspirations whatsoever? Or, the interest in shooting in similar conditions as professionals? In what field? Sports action? Low-light photojournalism?

In some respects, (the above two being the most prominent) ...I just don't think Sony will ever be able to touch Canon and Nikon. Sure, they're "able", but are they OPTIMAL??

What I have seen Sony make it's niche for is this: New innovations that benefit the beginner, average and even the advanced user, innovations that Canon and Nikon are "locked out of" because of how deeply rooted they are in their current systems. Things such as in-body stabilization, hybrid mirror tech, and others are where Sony creates great convenience compared to the "traditional" technology.

However, they have clearly NOT done anything to beat the Nikon D800 or Canon 5D mk3, heck for what I do they haven't even beat the D700 or 5D mk2 yet. Sony has instead put it's eggs in other baskets. Sure, the A900 and A850 are amazing (and affordable) cameras. If I were a landscape, architecture, or other type of commercial photographer, I would absolutely consider the Sony system even as a professional. However for what I do, (low-light photojournalism, portraiture, and action) ...Nothing holds a candle to the Nikon system I currently have, or the Canon system that my associates use.

So, there you have it. I have seen plenty of photographers try to make a Sony system work for years and years, only to eventually cave in and switch to Canon / Nikon. I have also seen a handful of photographers (who don't shoot in the types of situations I find myself in) try out the Sony system, and fall in love.

Good luck choosing!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • skippy77skippy77 Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2012
    september 12 sony will releas a new ff camera the a99 that i think will give the canikon lot a run for there money i no many pros that use sony just some ppl are set that canon and nikon are the best