Challenge 52: Show me the money

morrisphotography2003morrisphotography2003 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
edited November 19, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
OK this was somewhat of a no brainer because I am lacking the typical bird for shooting.
Tell me what you think.

Bob.
11-14-2005
f/5.6
ISO 100
Focal length 300mm w/ macro on
ex. time 0.0166s (1/60)
Ex. bias: -1
44581775-M.jpg

Comments

• LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    I can't say anything that I see wrong with this shot, but I could see a couple grievances, which maybe are more opinion/style based. Too dark? That's a personal preference thing, I don't really have a problem with it. Some of the out-of-focus areas... I imagine for effect, but I don't really understand what you are going for there.

I do really like the perspective/angle/what-have-you. And, cool twist on the theme.

-Rich
    We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
    ... come along.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    Sweet idea
    I didn't think of thatthumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • morrisphotography2003morrisphotography2003 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    it is the only birds that I can find around this area this time of year, so I figured why not.

Bob.
  • morrisphotography2003morrisphotography2003 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    I actualy got the idea when we voted on a theme, and I had to be fast on the idea and posting it that way it would be, in my mind an original idea for this challenge. If some else would have posted it first I would have chosen something else.

Bob.
    Nikolai wrote:
  • Michael AllenMichael Allen Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    Good idea, I like it.
    -Mike
    edited November 15, 2005
    Thank you, I was going to shoot the owl but I couldn't remember where it is at. Hint, hint, for those that may be struggling to find a bird to shoot but remember that you are going to need a macro lens to shoot it.

Bob.
    Nikolai wrote:
    edited November 15, 2005
    Thank you for the good words Mike. I think that I am getting a little better with each one that I do, I hope.:D

Bob.
    Good idea, I like it.
    edited November 15, 2005
    Thank you Rich. This is actualy what I am going for in this bird shot.

Bob.

I do really like the perspective/angle/what-have-you. And, cool twist on the theme.
    -Rich[/QUOTE]
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2005
    OK this was somewhat of a no brainer because I am lacking the typical bird for shooting.
    Tell me what you think.

Bob.
    11-14-2005
    f/5.6
    ISO 100
    Focal length 300mm w/ macro on
    ex. time 0.0166s (1/60)
    Ex. bias: -1
    44581775-M.jpg
    Nice photo Bob but, I would like it better if, all of the photo was clear (No blur).

Good Luck,
    Chuck Cassidy,
    Marshall, NC
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
    edited November 16, 2005
    just took this photo tonight, tell me if it is better than the earlier photo. 11-16-2005, everything else is the same.

Bob.
    44845574-M.jpg
    Nice photo Bob but, I would like it better if, all of the photo was clear (No blur).

Good Luck,
    Chuck Cassidy,
    Marshall, NC
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited November 17, 2005
    I liked the angle of the original and I like the idea!

Nice one.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2005
    Me too, the original angle is better IMO. I think it looks like a carpet, it's really cool! Great idea - just from reading the title I thought it would be a quarter, but this is better.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 17, 2005
    Yeah, I have to disagree with Chuck... it wasn't blur, it was selective use of depth of field! Defend your work!
    :D

That second photo is head-on, flat, and boring. If anything, I'd do something with the first photo to make a jump a little more. Maybe some curves, or even a little contrast. But the composition was good. nod.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited November 17, 2005
    so do I, just thought that I would do a more in focus shot.

Bob.
    ian408 wrote:
    I liked the angle of the original and I like the idea!

Nice one.

Ian
    edited November 17, 2005
    I only tried one shot of a quarter and threw that idea in the trash. Thank you.

Bob.
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Me too, the original angle is better IMO. I think it looks like a carpet, it's really cool! Great idea - just from reading the title I thought it would be a quarter, but this is better.
    edited November 17, 2005
    I will try your advise and see what I can do, I never thought that I would get this many responses to this photoclap.gif .Thank you everyone.
    Bob.
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Yeah, I have to disagree with Chuck... it wasn't blur, it was selective use of depth of field! Defend your work!
    :D

That second photo is head-on, flat, and boring. If anything, I'd do something with the first photo to make a jump a little more. Maybe some curves, or even a little contrast. But the composition was good. nod.gif
  • Bandit959Bandit959 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited November 18, 2005
    Hey Bob;
    I'm kind of curious about the angle that you chose to shoot the eagle from. Is it a subtle commentary on the ongoing war in Iraq or am I reading too much into the shot?
    edited November 18, 2005
    Thank you for posting your question about the photograph that I have taken. I don't want to come off the wrong way so I will answer your question the best that I can.

When I was younger I served in the U.S. Army and some of my family members are still serving in the military so I can only tell you that I support my family members and their jobs because they support me and my job.
    Also I would like add that as a photographer I try to keep an open mind on my work matter. When I am at the track or at any number of sporting events that I go to for photographs I take my camera and leave my support for any one team or person at home.
    So what I am saying is that if I had a Looney or a Tooney (one and two dollar coins for those that may not know) from our brother and sister to the north in Canada I would have gladly taken a photograph of either great looking coin. I do not think that one country is better than the other because there is a photographer of one type or another in every town, city, state, providence, country and nation in the world (sorry if I missed anyone) and I think that it might be the only thing that we as a world have to be happy about.
    I hope that I have not offended anyone but the question was brought up and I wanted to tell everyone where I stand on this photograph, it is just a photograph of a one dollar bill and not a political statement.
    Bob.
    Bandit959 wrote:
    Hey Bob;
    I'm kind of curious about the angle that you chose to shoot the eagle from. Is it a subtle commentary on the ongoing war in Iraq or am I reading too much into the shot?
  • Bandit959Bandit959 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited November 18, 2005
    Hey Bob;
    Don't worry, I didn't take your response the wrong way. I probably should have been clearer in my question and I hope that I didn't accidentally insult you!

When I compose a shot, I choose specific angles to help my images tell a "story". Now I recognize that not everyone shoots that way, and my way is no better than any other. It's just the way I shoot. But it colors the way I look at other works. So I try to get inside the photograhers head and ask what's the story/inspiration behind this shot.

OK, that said, I looked at the shot this way ...
    The great seal of the US has the eagle clutching 13 arrows(13 colonies) in one talon and an olive branch in the other. Arrows symbolize war while the olive branch symbolizes peace. Funny how that works. The eagle always faces towards peace, but is ready for war if need be.

You could have shot the eagle from the peace or war side, but you chose the war side and had that slightly out of focus. Given the current state in Iraq, I was wondering if it was subtle statement. But it looks like I read way too much into the shot!

Sorry for the confusion!
    edited November 19, 2005
    you know, I never even thought about it that way. It just goes to show that what they say is true.... "A picture is worth a thousand words" because one person looks at it one way and the next person doesn't even think to look at it that way, they see it in a more complex manner. I guess that you can sort of say that I have created a great work of art, haha.
    I thank you for your comments and letting me know how you see this photograph, it helps to get all the feed back that I can from everyone that way I may also see things as others do.

Have a good day
    Bob.
    Bandit959 wrote:
    Hey Bob;
    Don't worry, I didn't take your response the wrong way. I probably should have been clearer in my question and I hope that I didn't accidentally insult you!

When I compose a shot, I choose specific angles to help my images tell a "story". Now I recognize that not everyone shoots that way, and my way is no better than any other. It's just the way I shoot. But it colors the way I look at other works. So I try to get inside the photograhers head and ask what's the story/inspiration behind this shot.

OK, that said, I looked at the shot this way ...
    The great seal of the US has the eagle clutching 13 arrows(13 colonies) in one talon and an olive branch in the other. Arrows symbolize war while the olive branch symbolizes peace. Funny how that works. The eagle always faces towards peace, but is ready for war if need be.

You could have shot the eagle from the peace or war side, but you chose the war side and had that slightly out of focus. Given the current state in Iraq, I was wondering if it was subtle statement. But it looks like I read way too much into the shot!

Sorry for the confusion!