7580758872_21d7101168_c.jpg
Abbey by Wayne Weatherred, on Flickr

7744403756_8c97c873d9_c.jpg

7744403852_0219f362b1_c.jpg
Britni by Wayne Weatherred, on Flickr

Comments

• Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2012
    Nice stuff. Favorite is #2. Love the strategic placement of your watermark on that one too. Laughing.gif.

Question... you ever get hit up about permits when shooting in public places like that?

Here in Los Angeles, seems like you need to get a permit to shoot just about anywhere. Crazy. But this is the land of tariffs so it's expected.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    ThreeGuysPhotographyThreeGuysPhotography Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2012
    Thanks. I've never been asked for a permit, but I think it really depends on where you are shooting. These were shot in the West End area of Dallas and it is kind of a ghost town these days. There are only a handful of places still open for business in this old historic section of big D.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2012
    Thanks. I've never been asked for a permit, but I think it really depends on where you are shooting. These were shot in the West End area of Dallas and it is kind of a ghost town these days. There are only a handful of places still open for business in this old historic section of big D.

Interesting. Must be sad to see that happen to a town. Yeah, there are no ghost towns in these neck of the woods that's for sure. I think the localities here really capitalize on the movie studios so even a scrub like me has to worry about those things. I've never requested a permit although I did get asked once while shooting at a park in Burbank. I played dumb and they just told me to wrap things up as quickly as possible and to get one next time.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    DntPhotoDntPhoto Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 9, 2012
    I thought I recognized that background. West End is a ghost town now...I was shocked to find this out just this past weekend...last year, I shot a senior session down there and it was still full of life. Strange how things can change so quickly.

Since you're in the area Wayne...have you ever shot over at Turtle Creek? I've heard they request permits pretty quickly there. I personally have never shot there for that very reason.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2012
    DntPhoto wrote: »
    I thought I recognized that background. West End is a ghost town now...I was shocked to find this out just this past weekend...last year, I shot a senior session down there and it was still full of life. Strange how things can change so quickly.

Since you're in the area Wayne...have you ever shot over at Turtle Creek? I've heard they request permits pretty quickly there. I personally have never shot there for that very reason.

First post! Welcome to Dgrin and the People forum. Don't be a stranger. Post often!

My Smug Site
  • Options
    DntPhotoDntPhoto Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 9, 2012
    Glad to be here! Thanks for the warm welcome! Post #2~ I have a long way to catch up to Post #3051!
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2012
    Two is simply stunning.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2012
    Two is simply stunning.

Right Bryce? Love everything about it.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2012
    Welcome and great work. Watch out for the hair rubber band on her wrist if that is what it is. The person who invented those was definitely not a photographer.
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2012
    DntPhoto wrote: »

I've never shot there, but I'll keep that in mind if I do. I'm sure there are a few places in the Dallas area that require permits. I just haven't ever shot in one.
    Two is simply stunning.
    Thanks!
    Right Bryce? Love everything about it.
    Thanks!
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Welcome and great work. Watch out for the hair rubber band on her wrist if that is what it is. The person who invented those was definitely not a photographer.
    Thanks! I need to pay more attention to this type of thing. Pretty easy fix in photoshop though.
  • Options
    sufinedsufined Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited August 10, 2012
    beautiful DOF, and the colors are way too good, mind if you tell us the gear you have used here :) ?
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2012
    sufined wrote: »
    beautiful DOF, and the colors are way too good, mind if you tell us the gear you have used here :) ?

Not at all. I shot these with a Canon 5D2 & 135L. All but number 2 are natural light. For 2 I used a speedlite in an umbrella softbox off camera. Thanks!
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2012
    2 and 5 are my favorities. Nice use of light. For number 2 may I ask how was the umbrella softbox positioned. Low to the ground? High and above? And about how far away? Curious.
    Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2012
    2 and 5 are my favorities. Nice use of light. For number 2 may I ask how was the umbrella softbox positioned. Low to the ground? High and above? And about how far away? Curious.
    Phil

Based on the shadows, looks like its set higher than her head. Not how far away though.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2012
    Phil

Thanks! For 2 the softbox was camera left, slightly above her, and as close as I can get it without being in frame.
    Based on the shadows, looks like its set higher than her head. Not how far away though.

Yes it was higher than her head. I actually had to correct the description of flickr because the softbox was camera left not right. You can look at the catch lights in the eyes as well to get a good idea where the light is coming from.

We put the softbox on a paint pole using a kacey pole adapter (sold through flashzebra.com) for this type of outdoor off camera lighting. I'm trying to get as soft a light as I can get so the closer and bigger the light source the better. Of course some shots my call for a harder light.

A couple more using the softbox from this shoot:

7580758594_6c64d04641_c.jpg

7682156384_8c5b66d052_c.jpg