Options

Return of the creature from the black lagoon

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited August 4, 2004 in Wildlife
You may remember this shot of the snapping turtle from Long Pond near Madeket in Nantucket:

6543053-L.jpg

As it turns out, the FM WA last week was "If They Could Talk". Jeez, could anything be more perfect? Would you want to hear what this guy had to say? Unfortunately, this was shot 25 July and was thus inelegible by 1 day. I have to admit I was tempted to bend the rules a little, but I'm basically a good boy, so that was out.

Instead, my son and I mounted our own turtle hunting expedition. Now that I'd seen how it was done, I figured it would be no problem. Down the the local tackle shop to buy the largest net they had (with the longest handle), stop at the grocery store to buy some chicken legs. We already had the kite string. So off we went.

The weather has been extremely humid and grey. By the time we got out to Madeket it was starting to rain. This is a very beutiful place. I don't know how well this shot capture it.

6811328-L.jpg

Well our turtle catching technique was flawless. It didn't take 5 minutes before we had a big one up on the bridge:

6923911-L.jpg

Unfortunately, my photographic technique was flawed this time. I'd just been shooting butts on the beach for the challenge. The light was a lot brighter then, but now we were on the edge of a major thunder storm. I neglicted to increase ISO. And worse yet I was trying to get a macro shot of a truly fearsome creature that had it in for me. So, lets just say I had a few DOF problems:

6810717-L.jpg

6810702-L.jpg

Still, it was quite the creature.

6811260-L.jpg

Snapping turtle lovers will be glad to know that we restored it to the pond and it swam away to do its thing.

Moral: Virtue amply punished.
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    You may remember this shot of the snapping turtle from Long Pond near Madeket in Nantucket:

As it turns out, the FM WA last week was "If They Could Talk". Jeez, could anything be more perfect? Would you want to hear what this guy had to say? Unfortunately, this was shot 25 July and was thus inelegible by 1 day. I have to admit I was tempted to bend the rules a little, but I'm basically a good boy, so that was out.

Instead, my son and I mounted our own turtle hunting expedition. Now that I'd seen how it was done, I figured it would be no problem. Down the the local tackle shop to buy the largest net they had (with the longest handle), stop at the grocery store to buy some chicken legs. We already had the kite string. So off we went.

The weather has been extremely humid and grey. By the time we got out to Madeket it was starting to rain. This is a very beutiful place. I don't know how well this shot capture it.

Well our turtle catching technique was flawless. It didn't take 5 minutes before we had a big one up on the bridge:

Unfortunately, my photographic technique was flawed this time. I'd just been shooting butts on the beach for the challenge. The light was a lot brighter then, but now we were on the edge of a major thunder storm. I neglicted to increase ISO. And worse yet I was trying to get a macro shot of a truly fearsome creature that had it in for me. So, lets just say I had a few DOF problems:

Still, it was quite the creature.

Snapping turtle lovers will be glad to know that we restored it to the pond
    and it swam away to do its thing.

Moral: Virtue amply punished.
    Gee Rutt.. you were lucky to get a away with not losing fingers! I like the first shot with the young Ruttster in it..:D