***Rules Wording change***

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited August 20, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
The polls are closely monitored to be sure that everyone who votes is a dgrin member who is legit. If you recall, the rules state:

Challenge Round Judging
Voting is open to any registered member of Dgrin. Please note that members who register at the beginning of a voting round may not have their vote counted in the final poll.

Since there is a question of validity of several voters in this round, the winners will not be announced until the voters are sorted out manually.

To those who do not know this already, please check the Etiquette on Public Voting.:thumb

EDIT: SEE POST #17 OF THIS THREAD FOR UPDATED RULE WORDING.

Comments

• red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2012
    Hmm... well, I know I breach the etiquette rules a little when I vote for my own photo, which doesn't happen all the time, or even often, just when I've put time and thought and effort into it and actually think that it's genuinely in the top 10. For that matter, I don't always vote for 10 photos, only the ones I think are particularly outstanding... or occasionally more than 10 when there really are that many outstanding photos (and a large enough field to justify it). Thanks for linking to the rules, it's good from time to time to re-visit why we're here and the true spirit of this competition.

Thank you JAG for going through all the votes by hand and getting to the bottom of the questionable votes. It means a lot to me to be part of the competitions, and to be able to vote on the photos that I like. Plus, returning to the old method places a heavy burden on the judges.

If you have to resort to registering your friends or new aliases to vote just for your photo, that means it's not good enough to win on its own, and besides skewing the results, dilutes the pool of voters who care about photography and learning about the process. If you don't win (and I never have) you can still improve. I know I've improved a lot since I started entering competitions. Even when I can't compete I do like coming in and voting about what I like and don't like - it keeps me thinking about photography and technique.
    There really is not rule against voting for yourself. But as the etiquettes state, if you are voting for yourself or someone elses entry because you know them and are not basing you vote on the quality and theme at hand, then you have missed the point of the challenges! (totally paraphrased by me).

Since we have gotten in influx of new people entering, I just want this to be a reminder:

NEVER SOLICIT VOTES. This is not a popularity contest!
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2012
    I must admit I hadn't seen this yet when I cast my vote in the last two challenges, nor did I think anything of it. I just assumed everyone votes for their own and then non-participants cast the rest of the votes. Sorry!
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2012
    I've never voted for my own. I've been tempted, but didn't feel it was right. It really stinks when I've lost by one vote and I voted for the person that beat me out!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,959 moderator
    edited August 14, 2012
    I have to admit that one of the things that I like about dgrin is the way people try to make sure the voting process is fair. I read what Greensquared shared about public votes months ago and took these two sentences to heart: "First of all, voting for yourself is a statement that you are in it to win more than to learn and appreciate the photography of others. Secondly, it is a tradition of fair sportsmanship to cast your vote toward an entrant other than yourself."

As JAG said, there isn't a rule about not voting for oneself but I like to focus on the merits of the other entries rather than comparing them to my own. It is also not a rule that you have to vote for 10 images. One always has the option to select fewer images. However, voting for fewer images gives your votes more weight than if you were voting for 10 - assuming that most people are voting for 10. (Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong about this, but I think that's the way it works mathematically.) So I generally try to vote for 10 entries unless there are relatively few entries.

Just sharing my way of looking at things. I know there are other perspectives on this and I respect them.
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2012
    I have actually told friends no, you can not go vote for my picture in this. I have encouraged people to come and participate, but they seem too intimidated.
    As for voting for yourself... I can't, the guilt of it is too much for me. There have been a couple of time that I wanted to, simply because I truly felt mine worthy of a vote... that if it had not been mine, I would have voted for it.
    As for how many pictures I vote for, that depends one challenge to the next. I go through and pick the ones that really stand out to me. Sometimes that is 10, sometimes it is 7 or 8. In a recent challenge where there were about 11 entries, it was only about 4 or 5.
  • endurodogendurodog Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2012
    I have voted for my own and I see some others have too. If you think yours is worthy then I see no problem with it, if you do it just to win, well thats another issue. If in this particular contest if the rule is don't, I won't do it any longer. I had never seen that one until this thread.

As far as your friends voting for you. If you get them to come to the site and they follow the contest, which has some really great photos, and they want to vote for your stuff I think that is more than acceptable as long as they are doing it on merit and not because there was some pushing them that way. FWIW none of my friends are aware of my participation here and don't vote in the contest.

When I vote I have never voted for more than 10 but I choose the ones that stand out to me, I've learned I have a different vision than the masses here and don't always pick the winners, most of the time I think I vote for 6-8 images.

It appears several, and I guess many, didn't know about the rule of self voting. Maybe a link to etiquite for the challanges would be good too and just under the rules?
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2012
    WOW........yes, you all ain't gona like this!

Sure if your running for office vote for yourself. When your submitting an image here there ain't no money, or trips to Paris with a supper model, so why? (It is a rhetorical question, please don't answer.)

I wouldn't even think about voting for myself! I would never ask friends to vote for my image!

This is supposed to be a fun place where we openly share and honestly discuss a variety of photographic topics. This isn't American Idol of facebook where the goal is to have 9 trillion friends.

Yes I know the world will keep turning, but if people can't maintain some standards when nothing is at stake, what happens when it really is important?

I guess it's a sign of the times. :cry

Going for the whiskey cabinet.................

Sam
  • SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2012
    Very well said Sapphire and Sam! I don't have any friends....:bash
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
    edited August 16, 2012
    Haaa Seascape$ I have no firends and I'm obviously a bad person for my votes :uhoh Some harsh judgements takes some of the firiendly feeling out of the challanges. Maybe a spectator position would be best for us self voting people that have been bad.
    edited August 16, 2012
    I don't think voting for yourself was the point of the original post. Like has been said, it isn't against the rules.
    What is frowned upon is asking for votes, asking people to sign up to vote for yours, asking and/or advertising for votes in other areas of dgrin or something along those lines... I have a feeling that is what JAG was getting at.

edit... having more than one account to vote for yourself, now that would be a huge problem.
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited August 16, 2012
    dnie wrote: »
    I don't think voting for yourself was the point of the original post. Like has been said, it isn't against the rules.
    What is frowned upon is asking for votes, asking people to sign up to vote for yours, asking and/or advertising for votes in other areas of dgrin or something along those lines... I have a feeling that is what JAG was getting at.

edit... having more than one account to vote for yourself, now that would be a huge problem.

Yes you have it right!

As for voting for yourself, it is fine as long as it is fair. If it comes down to you voting yourself in and another image that is better than yours, you should always first think of the better image. Only because that will make these challenges fair.

Let me tell you all I had entered every challenge since DSS 1 till the last challenge before I became a Moderator (Something like 50+ challenges?). I would only vote for myself if I really felt my image was stronger than the rest of the images after I had already chosen 9.

I can tell you, there was one time I had lost the mega round because I didn't vote for myself. It was a horrible thought. Both images were awesome! They both were strong images technically and his image was not any better than mine, they were equal, it came down to which was your favorite.

However, because I didn't vote for myself, it ended in a tie and had a fast 24 hour sudden death round. Several had said that it was a eenie meenie minie mo type of vote. I was glad that ghinson won! But then I also realised that I wouldn't get that awesome grand prize that I had strived so long to attain (as it would have helped me financally) by learning to better my photography and participate in the challenges. But I was and am ok with that. In the spirit of the challenges, it was an awesome round and fun!

So the issue here of to vote or not vote for yourself will have to be one each person makes. The real issue that I posted about is those who are trolling for votes or have other nicks or family/friends who are not participants on dgrin but are members voting just for the one image. That is what will change.

I will soon be posting the new wording in the rules.deal.gif
    edited August 16, 2012
    Thanks Joyce for explaining it, it had a feel as the thread went on it was going another way. I will no longer vote for my own if the group feels it's not right.

I really appreciate the challanges and how they push me to do things outside of my comfort level. Then the comments on the merits of a photo good and bad are more valuable to me than winning or loosing the contest. Big thanks to all those who comment.
  • rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2012
    Personally, what I find somewhat sad is that when you finish a voting round and you see how few people overall voted. Dgrin is a great site, there are thousands of users.... why do so few participate in the challenges?

I wonder if the Moderator couldn't post a link at the beginning of every challenge to all the boards, and then one more when voting commences....

Hearing the opinions of a wider audience would be even better than the relatively small group of the 'regulars'.....(all of whom I admire greatly, don't take this the wrong way)...

As to voting for your own....well, so often I find my interpretation of a topic is way outside the box to other viewers, but that the photo in question does truly fulfill the requirements well...and sometimes, I submit a photo because it's Monday night, and that's what I do Monday nights.
    edited August 17, 2012
    A link already exists http://www.dgrin.com/index.php
    Look at the side bar announcements. Posting on every single board would not increase much. Other boards have their own challenges too, but I do not think they have any prizes other than bragging rites.
    edited August 17, 2012
    The rules have been reworded as follows:

Challenge Round Judging
    Voting is open to any ACTIVE* registered member of Dgrin. Please note that members who register at the beginning of a voting round will not have their vote counted in the final poll. The voting will last for 72 hours. In the event of a tie, there will be a sudden-death vote off! A new 24-hour poll will be opened immediately to select the one winner from the tied entries. Please read the Etiquette on Public Voting.

*ACTIVE: member must be participating in a dgrin forum on a regular basis. Final decisions are at the discretion of the Moderators to maintain the integrity of the voting.

I will be posting a warning on our next challenge for those who do not read the boards except for the challenge thread.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2012
    How about voter photo ID required? :D

Sam
  • bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 805 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2012
    I have a question about the "ACTIVE" requirement. What exactly defines participating in a forum? I mostly lurk. I post occasionally. I have only entered two DSS challenges and two or three minis. I follow several of the forums on a regular basis, especially the DSS challenges, but again, I don't post much. I enjoy seeing and learning from others' interpretations of the challenge theme even if I am not entering. Does this mean I can't vote or that my vote won't count if I do? Really not feeling the love...
    ~~Barbara
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 2,116 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2012
    In another group I was told not to vote for my own photo, so I didn't do it here either. None of my actual real life friends is really into photography so none of them are members. I would hope that I might have made some friends among the regulars here but I would not have considered trolling for votes.

Also I agree with endurodog that my view of what constitutes excellence is quite often at complete odds with what everyone else seems to think. I actually went and read the rules - I see that I misinterpreted the rule about voting for myself. There have been a couple of Challenges where I thought that most of the entries were off the mark but I guess I'm just an outlier as everyone else seemed to think that the winner's photo was terrific.

While the aim seems to be improving one's photography, I hesitate to make critical comments.

Is it OK to criticize ones own work in the Challenges?
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
    edited August 18, 2012
    bfluegie wrote: »
    I have a question about the "ACTIVE" requirement. What exactly defines participating in a forum? I mostly lurk. I post occasionally. I have only entered two DSS challenges and two or three minis. I follow several of the forums on a regular basis, especially the DSS challenges, but again, I don't post much. I enjoy seeing and learning from others' interpretations of the challenge theme even if I am not entering. Does this mean I can't vote or that my vote won't count if I do? Really not feeling the love...

You have posted regularly enough. Since you do participate occasionaly in the challenges, I know who you are thus you are concidered an active member.

Everyone, please realize these changes are not big, its just clarifying a rule that was already there so that people will stop and think twice about joining and voting just for their friend. We are not looking to complicate, rather just to keep things fair.deal.gif
    edited August 18, 2012
    grandmaR wrote: »

While the aim seems to be improving one's photography, I hesitate to make critical comments.

Is it OK to criticize ones own work in the Challenges?

its ok to have constructive criticism on any image including your own. This is how people learn too, not only for their own image, but to give constuctive critiques for others. Helps us to get out of our own comfort zone and stretch our ability to learn why we like or dislike something.thumb.gif
  • JBDimageryJBDimagery Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2012
    Just my 2 cents -

I have competed on here on and off for a few years, I used to have a old name and site. One thing I personally feel and know some of my fellow photographers feel, is that the Dgrin contests have turned into a popularity contest. It seems that the votes and comments stay within a particular circle of people. Instead of voting on the quality of the photo and the criteria of each new contest, it seems people just vote for their online friends. When you look at the comments, a few people comment on every photo with no bias. But then a majority only comment on the same photographer's photos each round. Maybe it should be a requirement to prove that you're looking at each photo and having to comment on each one before you vote, to show that you're actually looking closely at each photo before placing your vote. Maybe just a title is put up and not the username so that people don't know which photographer's it is. If this is supposed to be a contest that we can win prizes in, then maybe there shouldn't even be an option to post various photos and get people's opinion on which to enter into the contest. Unfortunately, it's not a trip or anything but there's a lifetime of SmugMug Pro on the line that's worth a lot.

Again, just my opinion.
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 2,116 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2012
    I would feel funny about saying "I don't like this photo" or "I don't think this photo is really on topic". In the Silhouette one, the most I could do was comment favorably on the one I thought was a good silhouette (black and white with no other colors) and I didn't like the composition of the photo so much. The judge agreed with me I think and knowing what was required didn't help me much because the things I posted were the same kind that other people were posting - namely sunset photos or the equivalent. I wondered whether switching a color photo to black and white would have been better, but I didn't ask (because I thought maybe I was wrong based on other people's comments) and didn't try it because I thought it would be like cheating.

The problem with saying what we think about photos that are entered in a Challenge are two-fold
    a) In the mini-challenges it is really hard for me to figure out how to post a comment
    b) After one has posted a photo in a challenge there is no option to improve it if someone makes a comment. If this is supposed to be about improving our skills (or maybe it is not - I don't know), then if we have a question about how we can improve there is almost no other option than asking people's opinion.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
    edited August 19, 2012
    Just to clarify- what I think might help is to have photos submitted with just a title and no username, which would keep favoritism out of the contest. Also I don't think it's right to have posts with multiple photos and surveying what people like best. It's supposed to be a matter of submitting what YOU (as the photographer) think is YOUR best shot for the criteria and submitting it, to then see how it does. It's like pre-screening people's votes. Constructive criticism can come after voting's over so that people don't change their entries. For example (hypothetical), I enter in a photo and it doesn't place in the top 5. I could then ask what could I have done to improve composition, coloring, etc.. to improve my photo. Not just take polls of what looks best, and in essence get pre votes. It just doesn't seem fair.
  • SciurusNigerSciurusNiger Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2012
    My non-photograhy life took me away from not only doing much photographing but also spending much time here in DGrin for the last year-plus, including participating in any challenges, and reading through this thread I will only say that these challenges can be a powerful tool to improve one's skills if used properly. Certainly maintaining fairness is crucial as far as determing the winner of each challenge via votes, but there is something to be said for JB's comment. Personally, I was never a huge fan of people creating challenge threads to have others help them with their homework, so to speak, so I am going to put forth the argument that there may be more merit in POST-contest image discussions rather than having so much of it done pre-voting.

Here is why....

IMNSHO every photographer is an individual with specific strengths and weaknesses. Each one also develops a specific personal style (meaning we often know who has taken a photo before we see the credit). These challenges can help individuals grow by pushing them (us) of of their (our) comfort zone and, at the same time, that stepping out can be a powerful help in strengthening their individual style. So while we may not like someone's choice of subject (style), we should not use that as the basis for judging the quality of their photograph but instead provide a critique based on their intent combined with the "rules" of photography. To provide such critiques post-contest would remove the all-too-normal nervous incentive to try to pander to the masses via pre-vote threads.

PJ.

JBDimagery wrote: »
    Just to clarify- what I think might help is to have photos submitted with just a title and no username, which would keep favoritism out of the contest. Also I don't think it's right to have posts with multiple photos and surveying what people like best. It's supposed to be a matter of submitting what YOU (as the photographer) think is YOUR best shot for the criteria and submitting it, to then see how it does. It's like pre-screening people's votes. Constructive criticism can come after voting's over so that people don't change their entries. For example (hypothetical), I enter in a photo and it doesn't place in the top 5. I could then ask what could I have done to improve composition, coloring, etc.. to improve my photo. Not just take polls of what looks best, and in essence get pre votes. It just doesn't seem fair.
    Garnered Images Photography

"Where beauty moves and wit delights and signs of kindness bind me; there, oh there, whe'er I go I leave my heart behind me." (Thomas Ford, 1607)
    edited August 19, 2012
    ok... just gonna keep my mouth shut, except to say... I see nothing wrong with the way things are now. I vote by photo, not name, not title. I assume most others do too. I do well if I have a good picture, I do bad if I have a not good picture. I have never felt that anything was unfair.
  • JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2012
    JBDimagery wrote: »

I find that there often isn't much constructive criticism posted to photos to the gallery. I haven't entered very much, but when I have, I don't recall anyone ever posting much criticism of my photos in the gallery. occasionally an attaboy, but nothing very constructive, nothing to tell me why the voting went the way it did. The only time I can actually recall a critical comment was in the mega, and when I tried to have a dialogue about it, to explain why I did what I did, i think the commenter felt attacked, and that shut that down, even though I was just looking for a more extended dialogue and wasn't didn't mean to be contrary. For that reason, I think posting in the pre-submittal threads is useful, especially when someone is trying something new. For a lot of us, the challenges are about the process, not the final vote, although the free hosting does help out a starving student ;)

I don't really track the comments, but my impression is that people do feel more comfortable posting comments to the 'people they know' or the people they are more attached too. no clue if that translates into the voting.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2012
    I have learned a lot by pre-posting images. It is what has kept me coming back to the challenges. I learn not only from comments posted on my photos, but also from critiques and suggestions posted on others' photos.

I am reluctant to post strong critiques in the gallery for a couple of reasons. The first is that after the challenge closes, there is not much to be done about it. The second is that a strong critique may influence the voting. When I have time to critique, I will do it more in the forum than in the gallery. That said, I welcome critque anytime I can get it as it is the best way to learn.

I am more likely to strongly critique someone's photo if I know that they will react well to it. I do not want to scare off new posters. So until I get to know someone, I will mildly critique.

My feelings for a poster has no influence on voting. I base my votes primarily on the quality and appeal of the photo and secondarily on fit to theme. I prefer to see people come up with unique ideas than limit to a narrow interpretation of the theme. Appeal is personal taste. Some subject matter is not very appealing to me.
  • PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2012
    dnie wrote: »
    ok... just gonna keep my mouth shut, except to say... I see nothing wrong with the way things are now. I vote by photo, not name, not title. I assume most others do too. I do well if I have a good picture, I do bad if I have a not good picture. I have never felt that anything was unfair.

I agree. My criteria for voting is strictly on the image and how it fits with theme not by the user name that goes with it.

The photos with the most comments often times don't even make the top 5... so I don't know how commenting during the challenge changes anything. Commenting afterwards IMO is useless... I have yet to see one comment posted after the fact. Once a challenge is completed it's forgotten and it's off to the next.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
    edited August 19, 2012
    I feel like I'm being misunderstood. I say post for help and critiques AFTER in the forums , not the gallery because I would like to figure out by my peers (people that voted), why I didn't have votes to win. What could I have improved , Etc. If it's done before voting, its fishing for votes in a way. You go to any other website that does photography contests, JPGmag for instance, you would see that people shoot to win and if you gain learning experience, that's great. If you win, its validation of your skill and that your doing something right. If you don't win, then its a way to grow. If all you're looking for is to get feedback, then why not post in the multiple other sections of the dgrin forums and ask people's opinions of your work? If all you're looking for is feedback and NOT to win, then why enter a contest?