Options

Would love some feedback on my site

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited August 10, 2012 in People
I just did a major overhaul to my site and would love to hear what you think.

alexsotelophotography.com

I would love to hear your general thoughts about it but I'm really interested in how you feel about my main page. I went back and forth on it. I originally had the slide show as a "Home" page and then a second page as the "Portfolio".

It was basically the same thing, except the first was the slide show without the nav grid at the bottom and the second page was a gallery style. It didn't make sense to me to have both so I kind of consolidated the two. I added the nav grid to give the user control of the slide show. I figure this way the one page does the work of both.

My main concern for the site is that it's clean looking. Oh... and I need to replace the creepy photo of me in the contact page with something more friendly looking.
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2012
    Sam asked me a few question on another thread and I tried moving it here and it didn't work out that well. This is what Sam asked me:
    Alex,

I have a question or two. In your pricing deliveries explanation you state:

"The session fee includes 20 to 25 high resolution digital images on disc or digital download for you to use as you please. Print them. Post them on Facebook. Their yours to keep"

Does use as you please include resale, or commercial use? The way it's worded I would deduce it does. If that is your intention fine but if it's not you may want to think about how it's worded.

Also in the head shot section you state: "you can select up to two photos of each look. Your selections will then be professionally edited and retouched."

Am I to understand that for an additional $25 you will shoot another look and process two more images?

Your tip section is good. Especially the GLASSES!!!!!! I will remember this!!!!!

Sam

Sam,

First, I agree that my wording is quite ambiguous on that first part. I will add "for your personal use" to it. You guys think that is enough?

About the headshots... again, maybe not specific enough. I mean that you can select more shots that were taken during the session. Not that I will take more shots. I will clear up the wording so it's not too vague but do you still think I'm being too generous?

Lastly, the Tips section I stole almost entirely from Hackbones site so any credit for it goes to him.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2012
    Sam asked me a few question on another thread and I tried moving it here and it didn't work out that well. This is what Sam asked me:

Sam,

First, I agree that my wording is quite ambiguous on that first part. I will add "for your personal use" to it. You guys think that is enough?

About the headshots... again, maybe not specific enough. I mean that you can select more shots that were taken during the session. Not that I will take more shots. I will clear up the wording so it's not too vague but do you still think I'm being too generous?

Lastly, the Tips section I stole almost entirely from Hackbones site so any credit for it goes to him.

Alex,

My comments were not about the rates you are charging but simply about clarifying your terms and any needed additional specificity.

Sam
  • Options
    jhofkerjhofker Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2012
    Their yours to keep.

Should be "They're yours to keep." (They are yours to keep). :-)
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2012
    jhofker wrote: »
    Should be "They're yours to keep." (They are yours to keep). :-)

Laughing.gif. One of my peeves. Total typo on my part.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    jhofkerjhofker Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2012
    I should note I didn't read through your site - just saw it quoted above. Maybe it's correct over there already!
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    Alex,

My comments were not about the rates you are charging but simply about clarifying your terms and any needed additional specificity.

Sam

No worries Sam. I appreciate you bringing this stuff up. It's funny because I was planning on making this thread today but you beat me to it. I hope you don't mind me moving your post to this new thread. I was just about to PM you about it.

Honestly, I struggled a lot with pricing. I tried to look at prices based on what would make it worthwhile to me. I don't want to low ball because that is not fair to myself or other photogs in my area. But I also don't want to charge premium prices. I've ended up at these price points based on previous sessions I've done and an amount that makes it worth my time. I'm not in this to replace my income but I do value my skill and time so it has to be worth it to me. Right now, I'm priced at about middle of the market from the research I've done.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    ThreeGuysPhotographyThreeGuysPhotography Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited August 10, 2012
    I think you have a very clean look which is very easy to navigate. I like the overall look and feel.
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2012
    jhofker wrote: »
    I should note I didn't read through your site - just saw it quoted above. Maybe it's correct over there already!

I just changed it. Thanks for catching it.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2012
    I think you have a very clean look which is very easy to navigate. I like the overall look and feel.

Thanks. I appreciate the look.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2012
    Change your nav links.
    Not this:
    http://alexsotelophotography.smugmug.com/gallery/15957188_4baty/1196956473_Et95m
    but this
    /gallery/15957188_4baty/1196956473_Et95m
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2012
    Andy wrote: »
    Change your nav links.
    Not this:
    http://alexsotelophotography.smugmug.com/gallery/15957188_4baty/1196956473_Et95m
    but this
    /gallery/15957188_4baty/1196956473_Et95m

Thanks Andy. Forgot my nav links were still pointing to the .smugmug.

My Smug Site