Identify Insects

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited August 12, 2012 in Holy Macro
I shot these today with a 100L and MPE but have no idea what they are. I would appreciate if anyone can identify them for me.
Cheers
Bob
100817-L.jpg
100811-L.jpg
100812-L.jpg
100815-L.jpg
100814-L.jpg
100816-L.jpg
100813-L.jpg

Comments

• IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2012
    #1 Drone Fly (Species of Hover)
    #2 Not sure. Kinda looks like a dung fly.
    #3 Red Lily Beetle I think
    #4 Crane Fly (daddy long legs)
    #5 Drone Fly
    #6 Hover Fly (I captured and photographed one of these eating honey, see thread I posted)
    #7 Red Lily Beetle again I think
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2012
    Confirm #2 is a dungfly
    #6 is the hoverfly Helophilus pendulus
    Brian v.
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2012
    Confirm #2 is a dungfly
    #6 is the hoverfly Helophilus pendulus
    Brian v.
    Thanks Ian and Brian for identifying these for me. I was showing a guy these this morning on my computer and he told me that number 6 was a Sun fly and 3 and 7 was a Soldier fly. Could these be other names for them.
    I have googled the Red Lili frly and I see it is all red not anything like this one. I also googled Soldier fly but could only find a Black Soldier fly.
    I looked at your thread Ian and it sure likes the honey.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2012
    canon400d wrote: »
    Thanks Ian and Brian for identifying these for me. I was showing a guy these this morning on my computer and he told me that number 6 was a Sun fly and 3 and 7 was a Soldier fly. Could these be other names for them.
    I have googled the Red Lili frly and I see it is all red not anything like this one. I also googled Soldier fly but could only find a Black Soldier fly.
    I looked at your thread Ian and it sure likes the honey.
    Cheers
    Bob

Hi Bob - Yes I have heard of #6 being a called a sun fly but think it is a misnomer as Helophilus apparently means marsh loving rather than sun loving.
    Think you may have misheard on the other one- it may well be a soldier beetle certainly not a soldier fly
    Brian v.
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2012
    Hi Bob - Yes I have heard of #6 being a called a sun fly but think it is a misnomer as Helophilus apparently means marsh loving rather than sun loving.
    Think you may have misheard on the other one- it may well be a soldier beetle certainly not a soldier fly
    Brian v.

Thanks for that Brian,
    I googled soldier beetle and I have seen a photo of it and it is definately a red soldier beetle and is called Rhagonycha Fulva. There are lots of them at the local reserve I go to.
    Cheers
    Bob