Possible Canon 6D on the horizon

FearNothing321FearNothing321 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
edited August 20, 2012 in Cameras
It looks like Canon maybe coming out with a camera similar to the rumored Nikon D600

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/08/10/canon-6d-rumors-heating-up-may-not-arrive-until-october/
You know the major firmware update that just rolled out for the Canon 7D? The purpose of it might have been to hold Canonites over through a couple months of DSLR-less news. Northlight Images is reporting that Canon will not be unveiling a new DSLR at Photokina, but will instead be waiting until October to unleash a new full frame DSLR on the world.

The new camera is rumored to be a new Canon 6D, and is said to feature a 22 megapixel full frame sensor in a smaller camera body that closely resembles a 7D (i.e. a full frame sensor in a crop-sized body). We’re unsure at this point whether this is a separate camera from the “entry-level” Canon 7D Mark II full frame DSLR that has been rumored lately.

If the camera is the first of a brand new camera line, then the Canon single-digit-D lineup would go something like this: the 5D would be Canon’s main standard-sized full frame DSLR, the 6D would be a smaller and lighter full frame DSLR, and then 7D would be a high-end crop sensor DSLR.

It would certainly be nice if the 7D was indeed bumped up to full frame. The 70D would succeed the current 7D and the 60D as the flagship APS-C camera, while at the same time the 7D Mark II would fulfill the prophesies rumors of an “entry level” full frame from Canon.
Nikon D800, Pentax K1000

You don't take a photograph, you make it. ~Ansel Adams

Blue Moon Originals

Comments

• Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2012
    It looks like Canon maybe coming out with a camera similar to the rumored Nikon D600

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/08/10/canon-6d-rumors-heating-up-may-not-arrive-until-october/

lots of rumors of a Canon 6D
    http://www.canonrumors.com/category/photography/canon-6d/

I'll believe it when I see it
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2012
    I scrolled down to look at some of the old stories. Funny how the 1DX was alluded to - although not called that at the time, and merely a figment of our imaginations - and it was dubbed a "Nikon-killer". Looks like that statement has some basis thus far.
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2012
    The writer doesn't seem very well informed.
    Canon 6D, and is said to feature a 22 megapixel full frame sensor in a smaller camera body that closely resembles a 7D

They've since removed this erroneous remark, as the 7D and 5D3 are the same size except for the prism.
    It would certainly be nice if the 7D was indeed bumped up to full frame.

It just was, it's called the 5D3. Or maybe they meant it would be nice if there was a full frame camera near the 7D pricepoint. That's the 6D rumor.
    The 70D would succeed the current 7D and the 60D as the flagship APS-C camera, while at the same time the 7D Mark II would fulfill the prophesies rumors of an “entry level” full frame from Canon.

What? Holy topic change. Are they guessing the 7DII would be another FF option in addition to the 6D? Or instead? I guess instead, but a FF 7DII would seem strange to me. The 7D is the flagship APS-C body, I think they need such a body with a single digit distinction. Seems fairly safe to assume that the entry level FF body will be called the 6D or maybe something new (or old - Elan D?), but I highly doubt 7DII.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2012
    The writer doesn't seem very well informed.

They've since removed this erroneous remark, as the 7D and 5D3 are the same size except for the prism.

It just was, it's called the 5D3. Or maybe they meant it would be nice if there was a full frame camera near the 7D pricepoint. That's the 6D rumor.

What? Holy topic change. Are they guessing the 7DII would be another FF option in addition to the 6D? Or instead? I guess instead, but a FF 7DII would seem strange to me. The 7D is the flagship APS-C body, I think they need such a body with a single digit distinction. Seems fairly safe to assume that the entry level FF body will be called the 6D or maybe something new (or old - Elan D?), but I highly doubt 7DII.

Agree with you on these points, JM. I think the 7D is going to remain the APS-C flagship, because, as far as I know, there is no APS-C camera that can touch it in pure performance for what it's made to do. However, I think Canon is wise to make an inexpensive full frame, because I think a lot of people want that. They see images from the 5D Mark III, and want the DOF, the dynamic range, etc. without being concerned about the significant advantages of owning a 1-series/5-series body. Of course, those people could just buy a 5D Mark I, but that's not helping Canon's bottom line.
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2012
    lots of rumors about a 6D and new 7Dii, but so far no 8D rumors