Once again feeding from the Honey Pot :)

IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
edited August 20, 2012 in Holy Macro
Once again I captured a visitor to our home. This time a Helophilus Trivittatus Hover Fly (Male). This guy was a large one. Almost as large as the Drone flies that seem to have invaded our garden.

Having captured it within a glass, I once again set to providing a small droplet of honey on a sheet of white paper. Placing the glass over it, I waited about a minute before the hover found the honey and gorged itself.

Firstly a cheeky little shot in the glass.

IMG6839-XL.jpg

Then a variation of shots. Sorry there's so many but when you have such a compliant subject, you take liberties :)

IMG6888-XL.jpg

The next two, you can see a couple of droplets on the eye

IMG6879-XL.jpg

IMG6881-XL.jpg

IMG6889-XL.jpg

IMG6891-XL.jpg

This one I took as a typical entomology study book style shot

IMG6899-XL.jpg

And this final shot was taken with two extension tubes (can't remember which ones)

IMG6902-XL.jpg

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2012
    Wonderful series of captures Ian.
    I quite often do this with insects I find in the house before releasing them outside. Only problem is sometimes they don't want to leave the honey :)

Brian v.
  • IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2012
    Hehe thank Brian :)
  • DeVilDeVil Registered Users Posts: 1,037 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2012
    Nice set Ian :)
    edited August 11, 2012
    Thanks Predrag
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited August 15, 2012
    edited August 15, 2012
    Cheers Phil :)

hahah Yes it did survive. Same species as the one in the Spider series but this was a couple of days before and it was set free with a full belly :)

Actually, I tried this a week or two ago and noticed that with the hover, the belly became golden yellow. I'd not realised their underneath was translucent.
  • GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2012
    Learning a lot about hover flies here! I happen to really like the comp and DOF of your 1st one. But curious, being kinda chicken around bugs, do you catch insects outside and put them in a light tent or something to keep them in a confined area or what? Thanks, GP
    edited August 19, 2012
    Hi, Thanks for the comments :)

The shots were taken in our conservatory which is rather akin to a very large light tent, only 16ft x 16ft and Probably 12ft high at the apex of the polycarbonate roof :)

When I capture them, I either let them free outside or if I'm going to photograph like in these shots, I'll capture them in a small 200ml plastic tumbler with a piece of paper underneath. For these images, once they were feeding, I could easily remove the tumbler and they were happy to stick around until gorged :)

They're never kept in captivity for any lengthy period of time.
  • GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2012
    Thanks for sharing your process!