Options

Request: Automatic insertion of IPTC

dougransomdougransom Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited November 15, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Request feature wherein I upload an image with mac osc uploader, and automatically embedded in photo for downloads are keywords and captions and titles, geodata etc.

Doug Ransom

Comments

• Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited November 15, 2005
    That's actually a good idea, I think. Do you think anyone would object?
  • Options
    pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    dougransom wrote:
    ... keywords and captions and titles ...
    Keywords, check
    Captions, check
    Titles, ???

What titles? smugmug doesn't yet use titles do they? When and if they do, it will be interesting to see if they map them to either IPTC Object Name or IPTC Headline. I think Headline is the right answer based on many years of using the IPTC standard, but I've noticed other on-line services using Object Name.
  • Options
    pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    If I'm understanding the suggestion, if you download the original image, any data input into smugmug would be inserted back into the JPG (other formats as well?). Correct?

I do my IPTC input off-line; however, a MAJOR advantage with the suggested approach is that filling in these data fields could be a collaborative effort.

I spent hours keywording 400 pictures of our family reunion. The keywords were just to list who is in the picture. No way was I going to type 400 captions as well! I could have uploaded all the pics and let friends and family write in the captions. I would then be able to download the pics (or order a backup) with the updated info embedded into the IPTC fields. That would be GREAT!
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    Good idea - I don't see any problems
    Baldy wrote:
    That's actually a good idea, I think. Do you think anyone would object?
    I think it's a good idea. I am assuming that there's no recompression of the JPEG data - that this is just a meta data change and the image data isn't touched.

Two big benefits I see: 1) If you order a backup on DVD, you get all your captions and keywords with the backup. 2) If you either sell digital downloads (a feature I am guessing that smugmug is going to do) or you just let people download the originals, then they will have all the captions and keywords.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question